Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
So, my 2009 MBP froze a lot on Windows 8 for no apparent reason and I couldn't find any solution on these forums so I'm sharing this with you:

If your MBP freezes with Windows 8, open the command prompt as administrator and type:

Code:
bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

Then, restart.

That fixed it for me. I think the issue is limited to MBPs with Core 2 Duo processors, by the way.

Source: http://www.withinwindows.com/2012/06/28/workaround-for-windows-8-freezing-issues/ (It says there's a hotfix but it doesn't seem to be working for me [RTM full updated])

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
This is very interesting. My PC (also a Core2) actually had freezing issues in the RC build. I might try this.

Thank-you inket!

inket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Glad to help! I know how frustrating it can be.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I noticed that I don't have a freezing issue but my keyboard doesn't work, internal or external. I can't use windows 8 because of that.

Tekk

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2013
So, my 2009 MBP froze a lot on Windows 8 for no apparent reason and I couldn't find any solution on these forums so I'm sharing this with you:

If your MBP freezes with Windows 8, open the command prompt as administrator and type:

Code:
bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

Then, restart.

That fixed it for me. I think the issue is limited to MBPs with Core 2 Duo processors, by the way.

Source: http://www.withinwindows.com/2012/06/28/workaround-for-windows-8-freezing-issues/ (It says there's a hotfix but it doesn't seem to be working for me [RTM full updated])

Thanks for the info, I hope this works.

I had no problems until recently. I installed a new SSD into the mac mini and reinstalled Mac OS 10.8 with boot camp Win 8 and Win 8 has been freezing constantly.
This is the first actual fix I've found but i think/hope it will work :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.