Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WrrN

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Do people actually fall for this sort of thing? I guess they do, as I still get well intentioned friends forwarding scam/fake emails to help some cause, when a simple check on snopes.com shows it as fraudulent and having started in 2002.

Oh, I just won the bid on that item for $3,800. Cool!

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Aside from the retina error, where's the scam?

Several things about this scream "scam"

* free worldwide shipping (massive, massive red flag)
* request to be contacted by email first before bidding and indicating that bids will be cancelled otherwise (gigantic violation of ebay TOS)
* $1000 buy it now price listed in the details after a 32GB memory upgrade (for a machine that costs $2000 from Apple in the base config).
* the whole details page is a jpg image, designed to avoid ebay's automated text scanning system that quickly flags scam auctions by looking for things like "email me first" type text/

There is nothing about this auction that says legit. Anyone who falls for it is just not paying attention.

Likely his "terms of sale" that he wants to discuss are to be paid via paypal gift outside of ebay's payment system - that way he just runs off with the money, never sends the item which he very, very obviously does not have, and you have no way to get your money back.

As soon as an ebay rep sees the report they'll take this down.

iWaiting

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2012
there are many pointers

location UK price in dollars

iLife does not contain iDVD

buy now price 1.000 per unit

email me before bidding

history

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Fair enough. On my phone so didn't read all the small stuff as I would normally do before bidding. Definitely a scam.

zerofour

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2011
UK
Def a scam. From within the UK I also can't "buy this direct from within ebay.co.uk" (so to speak). When searching ebay.co.uk it is unlisted. Instead it's only available via ebay.com, coming up under 'International Sellers'... Can't believe ebay haven't taken it down yet

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Several things about this scream "scam"

* free worldwide shipping (massive, massive red flag)
* request to be contacted by email first before bidding and indicating that bids will be cancelled otherwise (gigantic violation of ebay TOS)
* $1000 buy it now price listed in the details after a 32GB memory upgrade (for a machine that costs $2000 from Apple in the base config).
* the whole details page is a jpg image, designed to avoid ebay's automated text scanning system that quickly flags scam auctions by looking for things like "email me first" type text/

There is nothing about this auction that says legit. Anyone who falls for it is just not paying attention.

Likely his "terms of sale" that he wants to discuss are to be paid via paypal gift outside of ebay's payment system - that way he just runs off with the money, never sends the item which he very, very obviously does not have, and you have no way to get your money back.

As soon as an ebay rep sees the report they'll take this down.

I thought that was allowed, you see it all the time in if you have lower or zero feedback contact me first etc

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The whole point of that auction is to collect people's data via mails they send in attempt to hack their ebay accounts afterwards...

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
Anyone reading this thread, please follow the ebay link and report the auction on ebay - you would be doing someone a great kindness by not letting them get scammed.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Anyone reading this thread, please follow the ebay link and report the auction on ebay - you would be doing someone a great kindness by not letting them get scammed.

Good idea, it's actually embarrassing that eBay has not taken it down yet. Their reporting system seems insufficient.

patricem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Link?

Can you post the link?

Just the price let's you know it's a scam....$1000 for a brand new Imac? E-bay will be on it and notify those bidders. Hopefully they haven't already contacted the scammer on his private e-mail address.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Can you post the link?

Just the price let's you know it's a scam....$1000 for a brand new Imac? E-bay will be on it and notify those bidders. Hopefully they haven't already contacted the scammer on his private e-mail address.

The link is at the beginning of the thread.

Fortunately the scammer isn't the sharpest tool in the box, but I really would like to kick him and his buddies where it hurts. Repeatedly. eBay has to take this clown down now

Update/ actually called eBay, since there probably are people writing to those douchemongers as long as the auction os live. l hope they have it down soon.

Last edited:

Tommy7

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
scam 100 % :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 12.05.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 12.05.23 AM.png
    85.3 KB · Views: 312

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
And it's still up, even though they were supposedly looking at it. eBay is really helping the scammers out on this one...oh, well. Hey, if you're already on eBay, check out the Lamborghini Aventador I'm selling for $9,999, free world wide shipping, but pleese sender ur soshial securities numbers and pic of passport first. It's the retina version of course and it comes with a free copy of Bar Rafaeli.

patricem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
scam 100 % :D

Wow that's just unreal. I think I just won the trillion dollar lottery too. All I have to do is send 1 million with my info and I'll get 1 trillion in return. Whoo hoo sign me up!! :p

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
$1000 buy it now for a machine that retails at over $3000 us without the ram upgrades and people cant see a scam.........greedy people :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.