Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I know they did - hence my "oldschool Microsoft" in my original post.

Not to get into a battle but check you're old post. The "Old School Microsoft" comment you posted was about them doing a 5 year release update. I was talking about Microsoft recently announcing after Apple did about yearly OS upgrades.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
I'm very happy with my mac no matter what version i used i found myself happy with my purchase.
this never happened with windows for many reasons.

hard to keep up with the price sometimes but it's totally worth it !

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I have both of those problems, and they are very annoying, especially the wifi. It's well past time apple fixed them. I'd consider going back to SL if it supported iCloud.

Agreed. What's really surprising to me is that both these problems seem very widespread but Apple still hasn't fixed them. Wifi might be a hard one to track down, but there's just no excuse for iMessage still behaving like a beta at this point.

weezor

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2012
Using my 2006 MacBook Pro with Lion just fine. I wish they would let me upgrade to Mountain Lion though but I agree with them I need a new computer. I don't want to miss Lion it's great for what it is. I'm constantly falling in love with Auto Save and Versions.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
I consider myself above average on the computer smartness scale.

But, I can not tell you if I have a lion or a snow drift or a mountain OS. I think there have been two updates since I got this... and I have not ventured forth as my MBP works great.

I do have 10.6.8 - whatever that means.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Using my 2006 MacBook Pro with Lion just fine. I wish they would let me upgrade to Mountain Lion though but I agree with them I need a new computer. I don't want to miss Lion it's great for what it is. I'm constantly falling in love with Auto Save and Versions.

I wonder if you would feel the same the way if car companies did the same thing. I own a 2006 Camry. What if I have a problem with my car and Toyota says you need to upgrade to newer model to drive it :eek:

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
They should have put Tiger on that graph as well :(

They should have just put every Mac OS X version with >.1% use or something. Why not do it if they have the data?

----------

I consider myself above average on the computer smartness scale.

But, I can not tell you if I have a lion or a snow drift or a mountain OS. I think there have been two updates since I got this... and I have not ventured forth as my MBP works great.

I do have 10.6.8 - whatever that means.

Snow Leopard.

----------

Tiger is still the best OS X Operating System. Panther #2

Seriously? Do you use Tiger and Panther often?

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
One of the few reasons why Moutain Lion, and to some extend Lion, have more market share then Snow Leopard is because they came with new Macs, and Macintosh sales Sky Rocketed in the last 2 years, for several reasons. A lot of new people joined the Mac world recently

Had custumers been given the choice of Snow Leopard in newer Macs, no one would be runnning Lion.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
But that isn't true. In the link I provided in my post, we actually saw a month-to-month drop for Mac OS during the heart of the Christmas buying season. Even if the drop was slight, that is hardly "surging".

What "isn't true"? Your link says little (if anything). Mac growth has been outpacing PC growth for years and the sales numbers continue to grow year after year after year. Monthly sales numbers are completely irrelevant.

The gap between PC and mac sales has plunged since 2004 and Apple is selling more devices running OSX than ever in its entire history as a company. OSX use is growing and growing and growing. It's not going anywhere.

http://mashable.com/2012/07/03/mac-vs-pc-sales/

thefizzle657

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2011
My 2011 MBP came with Lion and after seeing how much Mountain Lion slowed down my and my family members' 2011 MBPs I will be sticking with Lion for a while. Everything from boot times to application loading times to even shut down times were painfully slow and the issues don't seem to have been resolved. I had to go through the painful process of downgrading and have absolutely no intention of even touching ML again.

By the time they finally (if ever) get ML to a stable state OS X 10.9 or even 10.10 (or wherever they choose to go with the number scheme) will be out and those will be buggy too :(

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Desktop OSes are a whole different ball game for fragmentation IMHO. Of mobile OSes, Apple has been consistent getting out software upgrades quickly and to many devices. Not so much with Android.

Desktop OSes are always more fragmented, for whatever reason. But again, Apple gets out its software faster than the competition.

----------

Repost… but still good.

Thank you that was a great post

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Snow Leopard + Leopard - THE LAST GREAT MAC OS X VERSIONS!

As the title says, it can be argued that many believe that Snow Leopard and to some extent, Leopard are the LAST of the TRUE MAC OS X Operating Systems. These days Lion and Mountain Lion are like TOY operating systems which have lost that Mac OS X feeling inside them.

With IOS integration getting stronger each day and Apple not taking the time in OS X development as they used to, Snow Leopard and Leopard really are the last great versions of Mac OS X and many continue to use them even today.

While Mountain Lion is nice and all, not everyone uses its features such as social networking features. For instance, on my 6-core Mac Pro I am running Snow Leopard as my OS of choice as a server given its solid rock-hard stability. Leopard I am currently running on my Power Mac G5 Quad and it is quite fast given the age of this machine.

For everyday tasks not requiring rendering or video encoding, internet browsing and emailing + word processing is pretty quick on machines of Intel and PowerPC running either Snow Leopard or Leopard. I have even gone to downloading a Mountain Lion theme for Leopard to make it look like Mountain Lion, but nothing beats the stability of Snow Leopard and Leopard.

I am only hoping that Apple continues to provide Snow Leopard as an OS of choice for those who need legacy applications and or run legacy applications. It just seems Apple these days has become a toy company and its OS versions of Lion and ML are nothing more than IOS copycats and toy operating systems, instead of real operating systems, such as Snow Leopard and Leopard.

Tiger has its place as well, even though its support base is running thin each day, I used to run Tiger and it was one of the best OS versions ever developed and perhaps the longest running OS.

Again, my opinion that Snow Leopard and Leopard are the LAST real Mac OS X versions are mine, and mine alone.. I am sure others would agree as well.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
No wonder SL is still doing so well.

One thing that pisses me off is that since Apple introduced iCloud I can no longer sync my bookmarks/contacts with my other devices. This is outrageous considering I could if I had Vista and not SL. :confused:

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Snow Leopard is still high because apple are dicks for dropping core duo support...

Funny, much like the jump to the first os x where apple dropped support for many of the mid-1990s Macs and when they dropped support for powerpc in the mid 00's. A small group of people remained using these machines. And were so dedicated that they started developing apps to use on them since Apple was not going to. People pushed the limits of their hardware in ways never thought possible. I Think we are yet to see just how amazing the duo processor family is.

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
29% Snow Leopard = Front Row?

I wonder what that percentage would be if Apple updated Front Row for Mtn Lion and sold it in the app store for $1.99?

I have a Mac that would get upgraded with both *immediately*...

Sadly, it looks like no one at Apple cares. Having been a Mac user in the bad old days, it's nice that Apple is profitable and healthy.. But it seems that Apple has lost some customer friendliness and hunger if it's perfectly content leaving cash on the table like that. That's a bad sign, another symptom (in addition to SKU creep, Not Invented Here issues that lead to bad products like iOS Maps, lack of products for Prosumers to be excited about..etc) of a company that is headed in the wrong direction for Mac users, perhaps an ok direction for iGadget users.. Feels like when Sony went sour..

I have mixed feelings about that.

Oh, yeah, and git off my lawn!!!

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
I wonder what that percentage would be if Apple updated Front Row for Mtn Lion and sold it in the app store for $1.99?

I have a Mac that would get upgraded with both *immediately*...

Sadly, it looks like no one at Apple cares. Having been a Mac user in the bad old days, it's nice that Apple is profitable and healthy.. But it seems that Apple has lost some customer friendliness and hunger if it's perfectly content leaving cash on the table like that. That's a bad sign, another symptom (in addition to SKU creep, Not Invented Here issues that lead to bad products like iOS Maps, lack of products for Prosumers to be excited about..etc) of a company that is headed in the wrong direction for Mac users, perhaps an ok direction for iGadget users.. Feels like when Sony went sour..

I have mixed feelings about that.

Oh, yeah, and git off my lawn!!!

Although I was not even around during the bad ole days, I must agree with you

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I'm a newbie when it comes to OSX and iOS so I am surprised that some folks here don't like the yearly upgrades. I actually enjoy it as I get new features faster and it's cheap. iCloud support in Mountain Lion is excellent and ties in with the rest of my iOS devices. I doubt it hurts developers because the core OSX architecture is unchanged.

Microsoft is also adopting this yearly update model and the next OS is called or code named Windows Blue.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Glanced at a half dozen heated posts on this thread. I came to only one conclusion:

MacOS X Snow Leopard..... is like the Windows XP (the holdout OS) of the Macintosh world.

Bazillions and bazillions of Windows users have refused to upgrade beyond WinXP, probably for similar reasons. :p

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Glanced at a half dozen heated posts on this thread. I came to only one conclusion:

MacOS X Snow Leopard..... is like the Windows XP (the holdout OS) of the Macintosh world.

Bazillions and bazillions of Windows users have refused to upgrade beyond WinXP, probably for similar reasons. :p

It took you that long to figure that one out ? :p

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Apple should learn that too much Eye-Candy can be bad. The existing large number of Snow Leopard users are there to prove it. ;)

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Mountain Lion is at least decent in terms of functionality.

Right now, it often throws up error messages for AirPort (though actual connectivity works), fast user switching is flaky, Addersses still seems to have problems importing some vCards (as opposed to 10.6) but otherwise it's smooth sailing. Lion, on the other hand, was an abomination.

The problem with Lion was that Apple released it before it was ready. It was 2-3 months of beta/testing away from being ready for primetime. I was running the dev build, and couldn't believe they were ready to release it when they did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.