Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njean777

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
My first iphone 5 bent from me just putting it in my pocket and walking around with it there. I never dropped, threw, or did anything abusive to the phone at all. I had both the iphone 3gs/4/4s and did the exact same thing (putting it in my front pants pocket) and none of them ever bent. Never abused or dropped them either.

zybersniper

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
With all those iPhone 5 destruction videos on Youtube, I would really like to see one where they apply pressure to the middle of the phone until it bents. I just don't think that the phone bents that easily without direct pressure to the center part.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
So what do you tell the genius at the apple store? Do you guys get a complimentary swap?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
My first iphone 5 bent from me just putting it in my pocket and walking around with it there. I never dropped, threw, or did anything abusive to the phone at all. I had both the iphone 3gs/4/4s and did the exact same thing (putting it in my front pants pocket) and none of them ever bent. Never abused or dropped them either.

I'm sorry, but how? Are you wearing the skinniest of skinny jeans? There's no way. I think this may have been a case of it was bent in the box or you just don't remember doing something to your phone. I hate to sound like that, but that is just too far fetched for me to believe that your phone bent just from walking around with it in your front pocket.

mchnc

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2012
If iPhone 5 was put to a 3-point bend test (ie supported from ends and pressed at middle), I fear that force required for permanent deformation would be low. My guess is that even 10 lbs (= 4.5 kg or 45N) could be enough. The cross section btwn edge and volume button opening is so crazy small for aluminium. It was ok when made of steel (in 4/4s).

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Actually, I have a theory. Most people bends their iPhone without noticing it. Say, they carry it in their pocket and walk vigorously and the phone is bent in one direction. Then the next day they did the same, but now the phone is reversed so it is bent the other way, thus flattened out. Only a few very perceptible people noticed it and posted here.

My phone is always upside down with the screen facing towards my leg in my pocket.. that's always the orientation I put it in there. No bending for me!

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
[/COLOR]
But do you "walk vigorously?" :D

I bet in the near future Apple starts using that as a means to not replace phones.

"Would you walk to the door and back please, sir?"

"Is that a normal pace for you?"

"We usually recommend no more than 50 steps per minute in order to prevent bending."

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
They are certainly bendable - but not easily. I slammed mine in a car door; the glass shattered and it bent. They don't bend by osmosis as some have claimed - the glass doesn't break all by itself either; as others have claimed.

----------

My first iphone 5 bent from me just putting it in my pocket and walking around with it there. .

No it didn't. That "story" has zero credibility. I don't believe it for one second.

MrFishcake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Cumbria, England
If it wasn't clear enough. The point I am trying to make is that I am seeing a lot of pictures of "bent" iPhone 5's. That is clear evidence that they do / can bend. What I am ranting about is the people that are going around saying "It was bend in the box" or "the phone bent just from being in my pocket" which makes the phone sound really bad. But the only bending evidence on the internet at the moment is all pictures and stories. This is not enough to make me believe that the phone bends that easily and until somebody makes a Bending test video or videos themselves trying to bend one then I don't think people have the right to say "It bends easily" and probably don't know how to look after their phones.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
bendgate_believer_zps46f497b4.jpg

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I haven't seen a bent phone but I can imagine it happening. If there's a bent phone between the iPhone 5 and 4, it would be the 5. The 4 is extremely strong and has a thick stainless steel frame while the iPhone 5 has a thin aluminum frame. If I hold the my phone in landscape like when playing a racing game and grab the too and bottom of the phone a twist, I think I can see a slight torquing. This can't be done with the 4.

This issue like every other issue doesn't affect everyone and of course people who have had many perfect iPhone 5s can't fathom a bent phone due to confirmation bias. It's always silly for one group to say another group's problem is impossible.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Haha, You have a point.and I'm not going to lie... I have been very tempted to try bending the device myself. But that would make me as bad as everyone else so Id rather not.

I'm still very curious as to why there are no videos of bending tests though.

Because in the world outside of MR this is a total non issue. I don't disagree that some phones did bend, or arrived bent. But it is not even a little bit of a widespread issue which is why no one cares about bending them. REALX and enjoy ur straight phone.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I will just say this. New Years eve. Drunken friend during a fight with his wife, decided to grab his phone on both ends and in his drunken anger wanted to break his phone. I grabbed his phone from him as soon as I saw him doing it but it was a bit too late. I could place it on a flat surface and it had a slight wobble to it. Drunken idiot power barely bent the phone. But now he said other people have a hard time hearing him on the phone. Not sure what's up with that. I can't see the actual bend by looking, but like I said, on a flat surface, you can touch the corner and you tell it's uneven just a bit.

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009
You want to see proof of how easily it bends? Trying to bend it yourself won't be much proof. Anyone can bend any phone with their bare hands. I could destroy an iPhone 5 just as easily as a 4 and just as easily as some android phone if I take my two hands and use all my strength to break it.

I'd be more afraid of cutting myself bad from trying to bend it than actually breaking it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.