Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
What are the % to any truth of rumors, that Apple will go all new this year with an iPhone6, not just a minor iPhone 5S ? And that it will be released in Summer, like iPhone's used to be.

And that iOS7 will be a MAJOR update, the biggest iOS update in years ?

Or do you believe, we'll just see an iPhone 5S in October ?

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
There are enough rumblings that point to an iPhone 5S sometime this summer that I find somewhat credible. I wouldn't say a fully revamped, redesigned iPhone 6 though -- but really anything is possible. Apple dropped the iPad 4 quite unexpectedly so clearly there is a shakeup going on with regard to their release schedule.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
I actually am of the belief that Apple has to speed up their release cycle if they're to compete with the recent speed and innovation of Android. It's starting to catch up with them.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I actually am of the belief that Apple has to speed up their release cycle if they're to compete with the recent speed and innovation of Android. It's starting to catch up with them.

Yes. I agree Apple realizes they need to offer more options for users. Their iPad Mini is a perfect example. When the iPad was first launched they touted how it was the "perfect screen size", but now they have a smaller one. At this point in the industry users want options.

These rumors point to a larger screen as well. I think Apple is smart enough to realize many users will want a larger screen. What may end up happening is Apple will offer two iPhones at a time. A standard size and a larger one. I know many users, including myself, who would buy a larger size iPhone.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Apple dropped the iPad 4 quite unexpectedly so clearly there is a shakeup going on with regard to their release schedule.

It received a quick update because the A5X sucked at powering a retina iPad. It was no faster (in some cases slower) at 2048x1536 than the A5 was in its predecessor at 1024x768. The iPhone 5 doesn't have that problem. At all.

Apple doesn't need to speed up release cycles. That could be bad. What will happen is Android makers will shift to rolling out new flagship hardware in the Spring and Apple will maintain its Fall schedule. Each leapfrogging the other.

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
iPhone 6 should be different from what the 4 thru 5 looks like. Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying my 4s very much. Apple should have something that's going to make people say wow that's awesome.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
No redesign for iPhone 5S...Small improvements to iOS, Camera, SIRI

No redesign for iPhone 6... Some improvements to iOS, CPU, Camera, SIRI, Antenna, Gorilla glass, perhaps more memory

No redesign for iPhone 6S...Some minor improvements

Some redesign for the iPhone 7, but not larger...Some improvements to iOS, CPU, Camera, SIRI, Home button.

iPhone 8 may see a design change, but not 5 inches

cali shot doc

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
I could have upgraded my 4 to the 5 this xmas but I decided to hold off because it's already been out 4 or 5 months and it would make sense for apple to come out with an update I'm guessing around april/may since thats what they did with the new ipad. I wouldn't be surprised of a retina ipad mini by mid year.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Other companies have released one new flagship phone per year. Samsung releases new Galaxy phones every May. Google releases new Nexus phones every Nov/Dec. Why should the iPhone be any different?

Apple doesn't need to release a new iPhone every single time a new Android phone comes out.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I heard a rumor it would have weapons grade lasers (FINALLY!), more geebees, and a flux capacitor!

Talk about innovation! NFC looks laughable compared to that lineup!

And iOS 7??? I heard they are skipping 7 and going to 8 because the new iPhone will not adhere to the current rules of time and space. They may even have to sell a special containment field just to keep all of the new features from bursting out!

That and it'll have a cool racing stripe and spoiler (for wind resistence).

I pre-ordered one. Thinking about cancelling it though.

:cool:

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I think they could release the iPhone 5S if iOS 7 is an actual major update. If its going to be like iOS 6 again, releasing the iPhone 6 would make more sense.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Do you think Apple is worried about competition now ? Samsung and their Galaxy line has become extremely popular and selling a ton this year. And the upcoming Galaxy S IV looks to be a super phone, with 1080p screen, and all new redone Touchwizz, due out in Spring, that phone will be major competition to the iPhone 5.

I think Apple needs to update iOS more than the iPhone itself.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
People using the iPhone 5, that have also had recent high end Android phones, like the Galaxy S III, or Nexus phones. What is your opinion of the iPhone 5 in comparison ?

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
Do you think Apple is worried about competition now ? Samsung and their Galaxy line has become extremely popular and selling a ton this year. And the upcoming Galaxy S IV looks to be a super phone, with 1080p screen, and all new redone Touchwizz, due out in Spring, that phone will be major competition to the iPhone 5.

I think Apple needs to update iOS more than the iPhone itself.

iOS definitely needs more of an update than the actual physical iphone. the 4/4s is still pretty much the best looking smartphone out there with the 5 just being a different size of it.

iOS itself though is definitely getting a bit stale (not in terms of stupid widget-all-over-the-screen crap that some people want but actual improvements in usability). the notification center is vastly underused and has way more potential than what it is now. the 'double tap to bring up multi-tasking' annoys the crap out of me. basically apple had to shoehorn a lot of these new features into iOS that seem more like bandaid solutions than built-in features.

thankfully we have the skill and creativity of jailbreak/cydia developers that make up the slack and non-creativity at apple. unfortunately theres still no jb for iOS 6 for iphone 5.

----------

Seeing articles like these makes me think it might be sooner than later.
http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/apple-pullback-speculated-and-4-hot-stocks-buzzing-today.html/2/

I'm also wondering with Walmart, Best Buy, and Radio Shack offering their recent sales on the iPhone 5, if they aren't already trying to clear inventory in anticipation of a new iPhone.

i doubt its to clear inventory but a move to just increase sales as the iOS market growth has clearly slowed down. its still increasing, but android has obviously overtaken it by far.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I really doubt it, to me it's looking like OSX updates and refreshes in the summer and iOS in the fall.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
I would dump my Android phone today, for a new iPhone 5, but ONLY if there was a Jailbreak out for iOS6 and the iPhone5.

Seems like the Jailbreak scene has died down a lot ? Doesn't a new iPhone typically get an untethered Jailbreak release, around two months after release ? We are going on month #4 for the iPhone 5 with no Jailbreak yet.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Have no fear Apple is on top of the situation. Next Iphone will be a revamped piece of hardware. Screen will be bigger perhaps 4.3 or 4.5 Most likely NFC as well as a different type of external case (not anodized aluminum).
As for the release, most likely June-July as the demand will be off the charts and production will be rough (as usual).

Apple needs this to maintain their earnings momentum!

Hawtin

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012

No redesign for iPhone 6... Some improvements to iOS, CPU, Camera, SIRI, Antenna, Gorilla glass, perhaps more memory

Some redesign for the iPhone 7, but not larger...Some improvements to iOS, CPU, Camera, SIRI, Home button.

Cheers for that mystic meg, can I go ahead and get next weeks lottery numbers too?

SupadudeX

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2006

You really think a 4 inch screen is going to fly for the next 3.5 years?

The market want's larger screens. If Apple refuses to adapt they will be left behind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.