Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Windows&Apple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Hello,

I was just wondering what your opinions were on this combination? I recently started using my Mom's iMac and I love it. I'm currently on a Windows PC which is almost 6 years old now and I'd like to change things up. Since school starts in the fall, I'd like to pick up a 13" MacBook Air for school, and a 21.5" iMac from the refurb store. I'd like to have a CD drive and I get to save a bit of money. I was wondering how this combo would suite someone like me?

I would like/need to:

• Edit video
  • Run Windows Applications
  • Record some instrumental music and some vocals perhaps
  • Create music in general

Would these machines allow me to do what I need to do? It was either get two machines or a 15 inch MacBook Pro, so I'm just trying to decide :p

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
I have a current 13" Air (4GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) and a 2007 24" iMac, and it works well for me.

Only real hassle is that the iMac has a 500 GB drive, so keeping it 'synced' with the 256 GB Air drive is a bit tricky. Will eventually upgrade the Air to 512 GB.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I think it comes down to what you want to do with your Air, as the iMac is more than capable of doing that list of your tasks. Would you be taking notes with the Air, or would you also do any recording on the go?

And if you will be recording on the go, then syncing the files can be a little tricky.

Or, for the money you will spend on that combo, you could just get the MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.