Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g4 powerbookboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
I put a new logic board, hard drive and ram in it, bought another dead ibook off of craigslist that had a known good display and good battery and installed those. only original item is the case and optical drive.

g4 powerbookboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
I really dont think i would do another one.... it took about 10 hours and a total pita, the ibooks are really not friendly to work on. however since Apple products rock it was worth it.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
I put a new logic board, hard drive and ram in it, bought another dead ibook off of craigslist that had a known good display and good battery and installed those. only original item is the case and optical drive.

Kudos -> you.

I've done the same on some later models, but mainly unibodies. The iBooks, whether G3 or G4, are not a dream to work on.

But if you have the time and the skills, it can be very rewarding - resurrecting broken computers and recycling them into active use has a special appeal.

RGDS,

----------

I know Skateny, I was just quoting what Seveij was saying.. which we know he is wrong, right? Of course an iBook G4 will run Leopard nicely!

The fact that people have different opinions is what makes discussion fruitful. I was stating my opinion, but not excluding others. I was not saying that a G4 would not run leopard (see my sig), but that (unless a leopard feature is needed), tiger is usually the most balanced choice for a G4.

RGDS,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.