Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markydee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
So I just ordered the new 21.5" iMac last week (still processing) and I ordered the fully loaded one:

3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16GB RAM
1TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIAGeFrc GT 650M 512MB
=$2,150

Now I went to Apple yesterday and found out that they were starting to sell the 27" ones as well here in Calgary (AB, Canada). Now I'm starting to wonder if I should just ditch the one I ordered and grab one of the 27's instead but with these specs (the higher end stock model):

3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
8GB RAM
1TB HDD
NVIDIAGeFrc GTX 675MX 1GB
=$2,000

I only do casual stuff (surfing the net, chat, email, watch movies/tv) and the only "heavy duty" things I do are editing in Photoshop, a little video-editing and I play The Sims 3.

Which do you guys think is the better choice for me?

sergiobaschi

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Gothenburg, Sweden
So I just ordered the new 21.5" iMac last week (still processing) and I ordered the fully loaded one:

3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16GB RAM
1TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIAGeFrc GT 650M 512MB
=$2,150

Now I went to Apple yesterday and found out that they were starting to sell the 27" ones as well here in Calgary (AB, Canada). Now I'm starting to wonder if I should just ditch the one I ordered and grab one of the 27's instead but with these specs (the higher end stock model):

3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
8GB RAM
1TB HDD
NVIDIAGeFrc GTX 675MX 1GB
=$2,000

I only do casual stuff (surfing the net, chat, email, watch movies/tv) and the only "heavy duty" things I do are editing in Photoshop, a little video-editing and I play The Sims 3.

Which do you guys think is the better choice for me?

You don't consider the base 27" with Fusion Drive? Considering your usage I think that would be a better option for you.

But of the two options you've provided, I'd say go with the 27". (Edit: Especially since you easily can throw in extra RAM later on.)

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
IF you can afford it then the 27" would be better in the long run, especially as you can max your RAM and the GTX675m is a pretty powerful card that can play most games at high settings no problem. Go with your gut, and your wallet, is my advice :D

sergiobaschi

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Gothenburg, Sweden
IF you can afford it then the 27" would be better in the long run, especially as you can max your RAM and the GTX675m is a pretty powerful card that can play most games at high settings no problem. Go with your gut, and your wallet, is my advice :D

The 27" is $150 less than the 21.5", according to OP. So OP can probably afford it.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Buy the 27" and when you can buy 16GB (2x8GB) of third party memory. You'll appreciate the large display for editing photos and videos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.