Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
6 months ago I would never have dreamed that I would pick anything other than an Apple iPhone, I viewed Android as a laggy, buggy, out of date OS that crashes frequently, not because I had any experience with it, I just believed those (mostly on this forum) that said as much, I viewed those members using Android as lying, how could it be that smooth and lag free when so many say the opposite? Admittedly, I have only had a SGS3 and a Nexus 4, both are the best smartphones I have owned (Previously Apple iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S and 5). I have come to the realisation that a lot of those naysayers that decried Android hadn't actually used an up to date Android model, or possibly never used one.

I still have a MBP, iPad Mini and Apple TV, but the nearest I could see me moving back to an iPhone would be mid 2014, and even then, Android may be too far ahead of Apple by then for it to be a viable option.

Those two articles that have been previously posted are, IMHO, very good, and give an honest view about moving from Apple to Android.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
The lack of apps in Google Play Store is a deal-breaker for me

On the contrary, I find that the Apple App Store lacks most of the apps that I use on my Galaxy Note 2 that I got from the Google Play Store. Most of the apps that I use to download from the Apple App Store were just rehashed games that didn't bring any value.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
The lack of apps in Google Play Store is a deal-breaker for me

That's a myth. Where the app store trounces Google play is tablet optimised apps.

----------

I have no problem owning an android with my macbook and ipad. Many don't. It's not hard to.

Most ppl I know are apple fans but this combo is getting very common with ppl I know. Apple products are the best but they fell behind with the iphone I think which is a shame. Come on apple where is my iphoneXL and widgets etc..

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
6 months ago I would never have dreamed that I would pick anything other than an Apple iPhone, I viewed Android as a laggy, buggy, out of date OS that crashes frequently, not because I had any experience with it, I just believed those (mostly on this forum) that said as much, I viewed those members using Android as lying, how could it be that smooth and lag free when so many say the opposite? Admittedly, I have only had a SGS3 and a Nexus 4, both are the best smartphones I have owned (Previously Apple iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S and 5). I have come to the realisation that a lot of those naysayers that decried Android hadn't actually used an up to date Android model, or possibly never used one.

I still have a MBP, iPad Mini and Apple TV, but the nearest I could see me moving back to an iPhone would be mid 2014, and even then, Android may be too far ahead of Apple by then for it to be a viable option.

Those two articles that have been previously posted are, IMHO, very good, and give an honest view about moving from Apple to Android.

In my experience, everyone that tells me they hate or just don't like android have always been people that haven't used a high end android.

Someone will get something like a Samsung moment or an HTC hero when phones like the incredible were out, then say android sucks.

Not a fair comparison because you can't compare one companies low end with another companies highest end product.

People will use a cheap, FREE android and compare it to iPhone but it just doesn't work well.

It's like comparing a low end gm vehicle to Ford's navigator then complaining had the low end vehicle doesn't stack up.

Android has so many different phones,.there's the EVO line on Sprint, the droid line on Verizon, Google's nexus, and Samsung's galaxy s line which has become the cream of the crop in phones with the gs3.

As far as apps, Google has the advantage (except tablet apps). Google makes a better tablet overall, but I still prefer Apple for to apps and using it simply as a gaming and light internet tablet.

Apple should ease up on some restrictions

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
In my experience, everyone that tells me they hate or just don't like android have always been people that haven't used a high end android.

Someone will get something like a Samsung moment or an HTC hero when phones like the incredible were out, then say android sucks.

Not a fair comparison because you can't compare one companies low end with another companies highest end product.

People will use a cheap, FREE android and compare it to iPhone but it just doesn't work well.

It's like comparing a low end gm vehicle to Ford's navigator then complaining had the low end vehicle doesn't stack up.

Android has so many different phones,.there's the EVO line on Sprint, the droid line on Verizon, Google's nexus, and Samsung's galaxy s line which has become the cream of the crop in phones with the gs3.

Exactly. It's like using an iPhone 3G and saying all iPhones suck.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Not anymore, I've gotten too used to the simple freedoms on Android that iOS simply doesn't have. Being able to change default apps, installing apps from outside the App Store and access to the file system have become routine things I do on my Nexus 4.

Can't you do this on iOS? I know I've been able to, although I don't jailbreak my phones anymore, but its the equivalent of rooting. The only thing I really miss from android that I can't do on iOS are live wallpapers, otherwise I haven't found much I can't do.

As for the topic, it's tough. I'd love a 5" iPhone, would buy it in a second, but at the same time a small phone is much easier to use one handed. Even going from the 4s to the 5 was annoying, with the 4s you could reach the entire screen with your thumb one handed but with the 5 you can't quite reach the bottom and have to slightly adjust the phone, and I don't have small hands at all.

I think I've resisted larger phones because I use my phone as a phone primarily, if I'm going to web browse a lot ill bring my iPad mini or my windows tablet.

----------

I'll agree with you when Apple lets in competing browsers (with their own engines, not just wrappers for Safari), ad blockers, and FetLife to the App Store.

If anything the App Store is inferior to the Play Store because of Apple's own crippling restrictions.

Have you tried iCab browser? It's built on safari but is pretty amazing for a mobile browser.

Last edited:

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Have you tried iCab browser? It's built on safari but is pretty amazing for a mobile browser.

iCab for iOS is very impressive, but it's still a wrapper for Safari and Safari is only ever updated when iOS is. The main problem with this is security. Apple have a poor record of fixing exploits in their software and the Safari team don't seem to care much about strengthening security. For example, while both Mozilla and Google have assisted Cryptocat in ensuring it's secure on their browsers, the Safari team hasn't responded to the Cryptocat team or even so much as approved the Cryptocat extension to their library.

On iOS, not only are all browsers forced to use this engine, but the engine is only updated when the OS is. So if you're on a device Apple is no longer updating? Too bad, no security fixes for you anymore. Ever. On Android, even if you're on a device which isn't getting OS updates and you don't want to install custom ROMs, you can still update the browser independent of the OS.

On a more general note, this also means that all developers can do is stick features on top of Safari rather than innovate on the actual browsing engine.

Furthermore, Android goes even further on the security front here because you can actually install NoScript and AdBlock Plus on Firefox for Android. Although iCab has a very basic ad blocker, it doesn't have these kinds of tools and the ability to add them in the future is limited by Apple. The kind of advanced protection NoScript offers will never be available in the App Store.

Basically, Apple's insistance that developers and users shouldn't be able to fully access the system is a major downfall. All of this stuff I've mentioned can be done on Android without any rooting BTW.

P.S. And Apple will still never approve a FetLife app :(

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
iCab for iOS is very impressive, but it's still a wrapper for Safari and Safari is only ever updated when iOS is. The main problem with this is security. Apple have a poor record of fixing exploits in their software and the Safari team don't seem to care much about strengthening security. For example, while both Mozilla and Google have assisted Cryptocat in ensuring it's secure on their browsers, the Safari team hasn't responded to the Cryptocat team or even so much as approved the Cryptocat extension to their library.

On iOS, not only are all browsers forced to use this engine, but the engine is only updated when the OS is. So if you're on a device Apple is no longer updating? Too bad, no security fixes for you anymore. Ever. On Android, even if you're on a device which isn't getting OS updates and you don't want to install custom ROMs, you can still update the browser independent of the OS.

On a more general note, this also means that all developers can do is stick features on top of Safari rather than innovate on the actual browsing engine.

Furthermore, Android goes even further on the security front here because you can actually install NoScript and AdBlock Plus on Firefox for Android. Although iCab has a very basic ad blocker, it doesn't have these kinds of tools and the ability to add them in the future is limited by Apple. The kind of advanced protection NoScript offers will never be available in the App Store.

Basically, Apple's insistance that developers and users shouldn't be able to fully access the system is a major downfall. All of this stuff I've mentioned can be done on Android without any rooting BTW.

P.S. And Apple will still never approve a FetLife app :(

I see where you are coming from, but I always assumed iOS was a much more secure platform than android in general because it was so locked down. I'm far from an expert though and have no idea, but from a consumer pov it just seems I read about android exploits quite often and can't really remember any iOS ones in the media.

Besides security though iCab is pretty nice, there is nothing really that I see in android chrome, Firefox, dolphin etc that it doesn't have except maybe voice search, and iCab has a good amount of features those others dont have. Just simple stuff like, for example, high contrast mode (OS feature not browser) makes me wonder why I can't do this on android, heck I can even do this on my windows tablet.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Which do you personally prefer? And why?

Thanks!

I am having real problems choosing between the two,:eek: I like Touch Wiz but also like Vanilla Android, I like the size of the S3 but I prefer the build quality of the N4, I like the vibrant colours of the S3 but also like the more natural colours of the N4 (if that makes sense), I like the extra storage of the S3 but using Google music on my Nexus 4 I don't miss storage, I like up to date upgrades on the N4 but Samsung haven't been lazy and given updates of their own.

Although it is not much of an answer, and I'm sorry for that, but if you asked me on different days which one I preferred, the answer would probably be different.:)

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I'm not a gamer, but I have not found any app in the App Store that I can't find (or equivalent) in the Play Store at an equal quality.

I wish this were true, but it's not for me. I mean, the big brands are all there (Facebook, Instragram, ESPN, Pinterest, Twitter) and if that's all you need then you'll be set. But there isn't a parity in quality, even among those apps. FaceBook is just now native on Android, whereas iOS users have had it for months. Instagram took forever to get ported. And that's what a lot of apps feel like, just ports of iOS apps. The interfaces aren't as refined or polished. Google Maps is some of Google's best UI design work, but only on iOS. GMail also is more pleasant on iOS. I downloaded Cool Wallpapers HD, an app I've used on the iPhone, and on an S3 it was dreadful. I use these apps daily that don't have an equal counterpart on the Play Store: Fantastical, Tweetbot, Clear (I saw a rip off of this on the Play Store), Kuvva, and Theory Lessons (some poor equivalents on the Play Store). And then there's games and tablet apps, which aren't even worth discussing.

Despite my continuous disappoint with the Play Store, I do feel like it is slowly getting better. There are less iOS exclusives as there were a year ago, and the apps aren't as poor either. But there's still quite a bit of work to do, IMO.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I wish this were true, but it's not for me. I mean, the big brands are all there (Facebook, Instragram, ESPN, Pinterest, Twitter) and if that's all you need then you'll be set. But there isn't a parity in quality, even among those apps. FaceBook is just now native on Android, whereas iOS users have had it for months. Instagram took forever to get ported. And that's what a lot of apps feel like, just ports of iOS apps. The interfaces aren't as refined or polished. Google Maps is some of Google's best UI design work, but only on iOS. GMail also is more pleasant on iOS. I downloaded Cool Wallpapers HD, an app I've used on the iPhone, and on an S3 it was dreadful. I use these apps daily that don't have an equal counterpart on the Play Store: Fantastical, Tweetbot, Clear (I saw a rip off of this on the Play Store), Kuvva, and Theory Lessons (some poor equivalents on the Play Store). And then there's games and tablet apps, which aren't even worth discussing.

Despite my continuous disappoint with the Play Store, I do feel like it is slowly getting better. There are less iOS exclusives as there were a year ago, and the apps aren't as poor either. But there's still quite a bit of work to do, IMO.

That may be true for some of the apps you have quoted zb, but the ones I use are easily on a par with their iOS counterparts. each to his own though.:) I do disagree on Cool wallpapers and G Mail.

Some of the one's I use;

1 Password Pro
Kindle
Backgrounds HD
Cool Wallpapers
Dropbox
Evernote
Flipboard
Photobucket
Sonos
Tapatalk
G Mail

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
That may be true for some of the apps you have quoted zb, but the ones I use are easily on a par with their iOS counterparts. each to his own though.:) I do disagree on Cool wallpapers and G Mail.

Some of the one's I use;

1 Password Pro
Kindle
Backgrounds HD
Cool Wallpapers
Dropbox
Evernote
Flipboard
Photobucket
Sonos
Tapatalk
G Mail

Yeah, it's certainly getting better and I think most people would be fine. You can put the shoe on the other foot and say that beyond the conventional "apps," Android has way more in the line of customization (downloadable live wallpapers, alternative keyboards) and more app integration. Perks of being closed or open.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Yeah, it's certainly getting better and I think most people would be fine. You can put the shoe on the other foot and say that beyond the conventional "apps," Android has way more in the line of customization (downloadable live wallpapers, alternative keyboards) and more app integration. Perks of being closed or open.

From what I have read (I have no experience on Android tablets though) apps for tablet is where the Apple app store is unsurpassed, which is pleasing because my son bought me a iPad Mini for Christmas, absolutely love it.:)

BuryMeInSmoke

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
It's not the size that is the only factor. Maybe when Apple decides to let me actually customize my homescreen in some way I'll switch back. Or if they allow me to change default browser etc. Just too limiting for me.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I wish this were true, but it's not for me. I mean, the big brands are all there (Facebook, Instragram, ESPN, Pinterest, Twitter) and if that's all you need then you'll be set. But there isn't a parity in quality, even among those apps. FaceBook is just now native on Android, whereas iOS users have had it for months. Instagram took forever to get ported. And that's what a lot of apps feel like, just ports of iOS apps. The interfaces aren't as refined or polished. .

100% agreed. Android's fine in terms of apps if all you use are the big name brands. Venture outside of those big names and the quality of the Play Store quickly falls to pieces. Yes, there are some great apps outside those big names, but there's also a multitude of awful, shoddy iPhone ports. This is especially apparent if you live in, or have interests in, a smaller market. I live in Australia and have interests in a number of niche markets and Android just plain sucks for what I'm interested in. I've said this before, but there's still nothing to offer surfers on Android. You can't get the best surf cam app around, Coastalwatch, on Android, which is a deal breaker for Australian surfers, nor can you watch any more than 3 WCT events live on Android, thanks to the majority of the big name surfing companies not bothering with an Android app (some do, they don't work though, Billabong's is the only one whose app actually works, but it's an ugly iPhone port). That's just one example, then you've got apps which are available, but are terrible compared to the iPhone version. E.g. NBL.TV, an app for those who bought a season pass for online streaming of Australian basketball, was finally released (almost halfway through the season, when it was supposed to be released at the beginning of the season) on Android... but crashes every time I try and play a video with it, which defeats the purpose of the app.

You nailed it regarding ports though, iOS is the platform where most mobile apps first feature (bar keyboards, launchers etc etc), with Android often getting delayed ports, if it receives the app at all. This is especially apparent when it comes to games. iOS has so many great, original games that often take months (at least) to make it to Android, if at all. Some of the best even take years (e.g. the Chaos Rings series).

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    560.8 KB · Views: 118

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

I highly disagree with a lot of your post.

Instagram looks identical like you mentioned, its a port well not really but it looks identical. However you can't share photos from the camera roll to Instagram in iOS which is completely unacceptable for a photo app.

Gmail is dumb way down on iOS. You can't attach any files (pdf's or anything) with gmail. It's more of a chat room then an email app. Doodle? Lol what a joke.

Google map apps on iOS is also dumb down. No places? No bicycle routes? No add on for speed? No avoidances? No setting a specific route? I just stick with Apple maps for its integration.

Facebook on iOS JUST recently got decent of the last couple months. It's integration is still poor at best. Another sharing example, take a picture of your friends, from the picture share to Facebook, add your friends?!? Can't do it, you'll need to open the app and browse the pictures, upload and add friends. Android could do this mundane task forever.

Plus a lot of these apps have widgets and shortcuts. I WOULD hate to be annoyed by Facebook all day on iOS with notification however Facebook on iOS rarely makes an alert sound so its a non issue lol. You can make a navigation short cut with Google maps, single click and it will take you to a predetermined destination. I use Siri with iOS but its still not as easy.

A random app like cool wallpapers you just need to find a better alternative. That's a silly example to be honest. But if you do the math it's got more downloads on Android and better ratings (less 1 star).

I'm in tapatalk on my 4S and its Busch league compared to the Android version. I will give it to you though, it took a long time for tapatalk for Android tablets to come out. Still in beta (free).

We'll obviously always have varying opinions but until Apple lightens up on OS restrictions Android apps will always be more powerful. This is a good and bad thing some would consider.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Given the fact Samsung has demonstrated that 4.3" (Galaxy S II) and 4.8" (Galaxy S III) displays are no hindrance to cellphone sales, I would NOT be surprised that Apple--now that Steve Jobs' influence is no longer there--is seriously looking at an iPhone with a wider screen in portrait display mode.

I wouldn't be surprised that an iPhone with a 4.3 to 4.5" display with increased width in portrait mode has been approved for development and eventual production.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I see where you are coming from, but I always assumed iOS was a much more secure platform than android in general because it was so locked down. I'm far from an expert though and have no idea, but from a consumer pov it just seems I read about android exploits quite often and can't really remember any iOS ones in the media.

Besides security though iCab is pretty nice, there is nothing really that I see in android chrome, Firefox, dolphin etc that it doesn't have except maybe voice search, and iCab has a good amount of features those others dont have. Just simple stuff like, for example, high contrast mode (OS feature not browser) makes me wonder why I can't do this on android, heck I can even do this on my windows tablet.

Closed systems don't necessarily equate to security, all it means is that it's more difficult to tell if an app has malicious intentions. See here, for instance. Charlie Miller was able to get an app with the ability to remotely execute potentially malicious code into the App Store and when he reported this, Apple banned him from the App Store. This kind of attitude is why they suck at catching exploits.

With Android, when you install an app you can see exactly what permissions it requests. If any of those look iffy you can not install the app. iOS doesn't give you that peace of mind, it has no permissions system, it gives all apps all the permissions and doesn't tell the user about it. That isn't security, that's pulling a cloth over the eyes of the customer.

iCab has some nice features like I said, but you can get the vast majority of those features in Android. In fact you can probably get all of them, especially since apps like Firefox allow for third party extensions.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Closed systems don't necessarily equate to security, all it means is that it's more difficult to tell if an app has malicious intentions. See here, for instance. Charlie Miller was able to get an app with the ability to remotely execute potentially malicious code into the App Store and when he reported this, Apple banned him from the App Store. This kind of attitude is why they suck at catching exploits.

With Android, when you install an app you can see exactly what permissions it requests. If any of those look iffy you can not install the app. iOS doesn't give you that peace of mind, it has no permissions system, it gives all apps all the permissions and doesn't tell the user about it. That isn't security, that's pulling a cloth over the eyes of the customer.

iCab has some nice features like I said, but you can get the vast majority of those features in Android. In fact you can probably get all of them, especially since apps like Firefox allow for third party extensions.

But I still cannot recall any iOS exploits, I'm sure they are out there but they are in the media very very rarely if at all. You hear about android exploits fairly often. In terms of permissions you have to apply the common sense of the masses, not technically oriented people like us. Also once you side load something or load from outside of the play store what real assurances do you have in regards to security.

Firefox mobile I've used, it's not terrible, but not great either and they have very very few extensions, although hopefully that will increase since it hasn't been out long. Certainly for my needs it didn't have any of the extensions or functions I'm used to. Night time browsing, easily activated full screen mode, gestures, Firefox sync (odd that Firefox mobile implements this in a very clunky way), just to name a few in a fairly long list.

Like I said the real deal breaker for me was lack of night time mode/high contrast, but that's an OS issue, although dolphin valiantly has attempted a high contrast mode it's not very good, and doesn't take into account the rest of the OS/interface. I have a disgruntled wife who needs to wake up early and I cannot live without that night time mode. Interestingly mobile chrome used to have this, not sure why they took it away but it really needs to be an accessibility option.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
But I still cannot recall any iOS exploits

Remember JailbreakMe? There were two jailbreaks that worked solely from the browser. What this means is that there were enough exploits in the browser and the OS that a webpage could hack into the phone, gain root access, install applications, and modify the system. Of course in this case it was done with good intentions, but if malicious hackers discover similar exploits think of what they could do.

I'm sure they are out there but they are in the media very very rarely if at all. You hear about android exploits fairly often. In terms of permissions you have to apply the common sense of the masses, not technically oriented people like us. Also once you side load something or load from outside of the play store what real assurances do you have in regards to security.

Android exploits are rarely in the media. What you see in the media are trojans. Mostly these come from pirated apps or dodgy Chinese app markets. The Google Play Store is quite safe, generally speaking.

It's not perfect however, and yes sometimes trojans get into the Play Store. But do you know what systems exist to prevent malware in the Play Store? The same systems Apple uses for the App Store. Both Google and Apple run apps in a simulated virtual environment and test to see if they're malicious. This isn't a perfect science and sometimes malware gets through for both platforms. As I said before, the difference is that on Android you can look at the permissions and see something is up, which you can't do on iOS.

And as far as real world examples go, aside from the Charlie Miller proof of concept, do you remember this little story? Where a large number of popular iOS apps uploaded users' entire address books without their knowledge?

Like I said, iOS is no safer than Android, it's just that iOS does a better job at hiding security risks from users.

Firefox mobile I've used, it's not terrible, but not great either and they have very very few extensions, although hopefully that will increase since it hasn't been out long. Certainly for my needs it didn't have any of the extensions or functions I'm used to. Night time browsing, easily activated full screen mode, gestures, Firefox sync (odd that Firefox mobile implements this in a very clunky way), just to name a few in a fairly long list.

It's gotten better as of late and yes more and more extensions are being ported over. Personally I still use Chrome as my main browser on my Nexus 7 but I do like Firefox regardless.

Like I said the real deal breaker for me was lack of night time mode/high contrast, but that's an OS issue, although dolphin valiantly has attempted a high contrast mode it's not very good, and doesn't take into account the rest of the OS/interface. I have a disgruntled wife who needs to wake up early and I cannot live without that night time mode. Interestingly mobile chrome used to have this, not sure why they took it away but it really needs to be an accessibility option.

I believe Android has a high contrast mode as an OS setting, I'll check this for you next time I have my Nexus in front of me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.