Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nemesis379

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
I was wondering...

If I bought 4 Seagate USB 3.0 External Hard Drives and put them on a USB 3.0 Hub

Vs

If I bought a 5 Bay JBOD Enclosure with 5 Hard Drives

Would I have the same speeds on either of these, or would the hard drives on the Hub run slower?

Basically I'm looking for storage options for the iMac, and the External Hard Drives with Hub look like a better option for me (more space, and is cheaper).

Thanks

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
It depends on the detailed specs of the disks, the hub and the JBOD enclosure.

If the JBOD enclosure has a USB 3.0 interface, it could either have inside a USB 3.0 hub plus 4 USB-SATA controllers, or it could have a single SATA controller than supports multiple disks. Either way, all the JBOD data has to go through a single USB connection to the computer.

If you have a bunch of separate disk enclosures connected to a USB 3.0 hub, all the data also has to go through a single USB connection.

So it really comes down to the throughput of all the USB components in the chain, all the USB-SATA controllers, and all the SATA disks. If your typical usage only has a single disk busy at one time, it probably doesn't matter much which way you do it. If you typically keep most or all of the disks busy at the same time, you may saturate the USB 3.0 interface no matter which way you go.

If you use a USB hub, make sure it can supply enough power for all the disks you connect to it. Not all hubs can support a full load of bus-powered disks.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
In theory the speed will be about the same either way. There are advantages and disadvantages to both solutions.

5 Bay Disk Enclosure
  • Advantages
    • Single power cord
    • Single data cable
  • Disadvantages
    • Single powersupply
    • Single USB controller

USB Hub + External Drives
  • Advantages
    • Individual power supplies
    • Ability to reconfigure around various failures
  • Disadvantages
    • Multiple power cords
    • Multiple USB cables
    • USB Hub failure knocks all the disks offline

The main issue with the individual disks is really cable management. And USB hubs usually have a low failure rate so it's not that much of an issue. Overall I'd say the individual disks is probably better for you.

If you're really worried about speed, buy an empty Thunderbolt enclosure and put disks into that. This presumes you have a newer iMac.

nemesis379

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Well I've been a long time user of Windows/PCs and have gotten tired of building my own etc.., so I'm going iMac, just waiting a couple weeks before I buy the new iMac because people have gotten a few problems with their new gen iMacs.

Also thunderbolt enclosures are overpriced at the moment, so yeah, I think I will go with the second option, thanks!

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
Ah, ok thanks for the info.

This is the hub I was going to go with:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trust-SuperSpeed-Port-USB-3-0/dp/B00479QR0C/ref=lh_ni_t

And 2TB/3TB versions of this (they have their own power adapters):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-STB...ZI5Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357320170&sr=8-1

Thank again.

That USB hub doesn't offer much in the way of tech specs. I don't see anything about its power rating, or what USB controller chip it uses. It also only lists Windows compatibility, so they probably haven't tested with Mac OS.

I bought the 7-port version of this hub:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chipset-Usp...mpatible/dp/B007ZW1TYW/ref=pd_sim_computers_7
I haven't tried it yet because my iMac just arrived and I'm still setting up. This one gives more info about power, chipset, OS version compatibility, etc. And they offer tech support. I can't vouch for it, but it looks better to me based on the info at Amazon.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
That USB hub doesn't offer much in the way of tech specs. I don't see anything about its power rating, or what USB controller chip it uses. It also only lists Windows compatibility, so they probably haven't tested with Mac OS.
It doesn't matter what's in the HUB. A proper USB 3.0 hub should work no problem.

As for power, since the disks in question have their own power supply, the hubs power specs do not matter either.

It's the only one that looked any good, I know the Belkin USB 3.0 Hub see here (http://www.belkin.com/us/F4U058-Belkin/p/P-F4U058) works with iMac but isn't sold in the UK, and I saw that one but it looked kinda cheapish, I'll just go with the Trust one, try it, and if it's no good, just return it.
As I stated above, the Trust hub should work just fine. And as you said, you can always return it.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
It doesn't matter what's in the HUB. A proper USB 3.0 hub should work no problem.

As for power, since the disks in question have their own power supply, the hubs power specs do not matter either.

As I stated above, the Trust hub should work just fine. And as you said, you can always return it.

USB chips have firmware; firmware has bugs. The USB chips + firmware + software in the computer, the hub, and the disks need to work together. Sometimes they don't. That's why you see notes like this (from the Amazon description of one of the USB 3.0 hubs):

"* Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 users may experience unstable connections due to microchip incompatibility. Where possible, we recommend upgrading your OS X to Mountain Lion 10.8.2 or later.
If you encounter other performance concerns, please contact our customer support with your operating system information. We can then provide guidance on how to upgrade your hub's microchip firmware."

This tells me that the vendor has tested the hub with some Mac configurations, found some problems, and made some firmware changes to solve the problems.

You're right, a PROPER USB 3.0 hub won't be a problem. But I doubt there are any fully-compliant, bug-free hubs on the market. So we have to choose from the imperfect ones that are available.

mannyo1221

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Blandford, UK.
Trust in the UK are an entry level product manufacturer, and their devices can be very hit and miss.

The Trust hub already as a one star review where Windows fails to identify it correctly sometimes and loads the wrong driver. Now if this happened with something simple like a mouse then its not a problem, however you are going to be relying on the hub for data storage. If the hub does not get recognised correctly, your data could be at risk.

I would buy something from a recognised brand as recommended by members on here who have used them with good effect, rather than buy something that's already getting poor reviews and does not list OSX as compatible.

nemesis379

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Well if anyone has tried any decent USB 3.0 hub that works, post it here, the only one I know that works is that Belkin USB 3.0 one but is only avail in the US.

Huginnmuninn

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
Well if anyone has tried any decent USB 3.0 hub that works, post it here, the only one I know that works is that Belkin USB 3.0 one but is only avail in the US.

I have two D-Link 4-port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Hubs

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/home-solutions/connect/usb-hubs/dub-1340-4-port-superspeed-usb-3-hub

Currently $53 at Newegg and JR.com, and a 3rd-party seller I've never heard of is selling it at amazon for $51. (Personally I'd choose newegg or jr this time.)

JR's page has one 5-star review for it, Newegg has five reviews all 4-star or 5-star. And amazon has 24 reviews with an average of 4-stars.

(Whatever hub you get, consider that people who tend to report problems on these sites also tend to have Windows PCs with USB hardware that may be having driver issues.)

4Hummer

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Ever look at the Western Digital My Studio Disk?

I have the My Book Studio II. and absolutely love it.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=630

They have a thunderbolt version too

4980621020_77172d82f2_b.jpg

Video
http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m35CZYKHMRJPFS/ref=ent_fb_link

nemesis379

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
I have two D-Link 4-port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Hubs

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/home-solutions/connect/usb-hubs/dub-1340-4-port-superspeed-usb-3-hub

Currently $53 at Newegg and JR.com, and a 3rd-party seller I've never heard of is selling it at amazon for $51. (Personally I'd choose newegg or jr this time.)

JR's page has one 5-star review for it, Newegg has five reviews all 4-star or 5-star. And amazon has 24 reviews with an average of 4-stars.

(Whatever hub you get, consider that people who tend to report problems on these sites also tend to have Windows PCs with USB hardware that may be having driver issues.)

This hub is like £40 in the UK, quite a lot considering it's only 4 port :/.

Ever look at the Western Digital My Studio Disk?

I have the My Book Studio II. and absolutely love it.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=630

They have a thunderbolt version too

Video
http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m35CZYKHMRJPFS/ref=ent_fb_link

Those both are waaaay overpriced.

Anyone got any USB 3.0 Hubs that actually work properly with MAC, I must be able to purchase it in the UK as well.

Thanks again all.

Huginnmuninn

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
How is my suggestion overpriced when you can't get anything of equivalent quality for less? Sometimes you get what you pay for. Quality USB 3.0 hubs are not in wide supply, but there's plenty to choose from cheap if you're willing to stick with a USB 2.0 hub.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
How is my suggestion overpriced when you can't get anything of equivalent quality for less? Sometimes you get what you pay for. Quality USB 3.0 hubs are not in wide supply, but there's plenty to choose from cheap if you're willing to stick with a USB 2.0 hub.
If you get a USB 2.0 hub then you're stuck with the much slower USB 2.0 speeds.

FireWire2

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
I was wondering...

If I bought 4 Seagate USB 3.0 External Hard Drives and put them on a USB 3.0 Hub

Vs

If I bought a 5 Bay JBOD Enclosure with 5 Hard Drives

Would I have the same speeds on either of these, or would the hard drives on the Hub run slower?

Basically I'm looking for storage options for the iMac, and the External Hard Drives with Hub look like a better option for me (more space, and is cheaper).

Thanks

Not much of different.

With 5 bay enclosure, this is how is connected: HDD to Port Multiplier to USB
With USB3.0 Hub, this is how is connect: HDD to USB adapter to USB Hub to USB host

Each of the connection, it introduces a little latency, also Port Multiplier has Link Aggregation feature, where USB3.0 hub questionable.

Like other replies:

5BAY enclosure is much cleaner, where USB HUB too much cable

I would say 5 bay enclosure is a better solution

lali

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
It depends on the detailed specs of the disks, the hub and the JBOD enclosure.

If the JBOD enclosure has a USB 3.0 interface, it could either have inside a USB 3.0 hub plus 4 USB-SATA controllers, or it could have a single SATA controller than supports multiple disks. Either way, all the JBOD data has to go through a single USB connection to the computer.

If you have a bunch of separate disk enclosures connected to a USB 3.0 hub, all the data also has to go through a single USB connection.

So it really comes down to the throughput of all the USB components in the chain, all the USB-SATA controllers, and all the SATA disks. If your typical usage only has a single disk busy at one time, it probably doesn't matter much which way you do it. If you typically keep most or all of the disks busy at the same time, you may saturate the USB 3.0 interface no matter which way you go.

If you use a USB hub, make sure it can supply enough power for all the disks you connect to it. Not all hubs can support a full load of bus-powered disks.

excellent post, thank you

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Great information here. I am thinking along the same lines for my mac mini server. I would like a 4 bay enclosure for the cable management and smaller foot print, however 2 of the disk are weekly backups so they real do not need to be running all the time. I always thought it's better to turn on the disk once a week for the backup.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
I looked at this, then balked at the price.

$500 for 4TB in 2TB drives. 2TB disks are about $80 each so you're paying $300+ for the enclosure. Do they think I'm a fool?

Certainly! Remember all those 2.5 single Thunderbolt drives from a year or so ago? A 5200rpm 2.5 inside (Sloooow) BUT it had "Thunderbolt! - Ta Daa!"

Can't blame em for trying though. Hey, they still sell Drives for Mac!
Woo, must be a special type drive. It has Mac written on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.