Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Balooba

macrumors member
May 27, 2003
I'm surprised Lion still has that sizable install base. With Mountain Lion available on App Stire for $20 this upgrade is a no brainier. For Snow Leopard it's a different story. Many users, like me, have a second older Mac that simply can't be upgraded further. For devs SL will continue to be an OS to support for many many years to come. Just like Mac OS 9 once was for those who remember.

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
if one looks carefully at the graph you notice how the release of ML didn't affect people who used SL, just compare it to the drop of lion users and you understand what i mean. in a few words, very few people made the jump from SL to ML.
i would attribute the decline of SL just to people buying new machines.

oh i wish new macs supported SL.. either 10.9 surprises me or i'm switching back to Win/Ubuntu on my next upgrade (and i'll always have my '06 mb for some old fashion time!)

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
I'm running Safari 5.1.7 on SL 10.6.8 and it seems to run fine for me. No crashes, very little beachballing and quite fast.

My version of Safari is 5.0.6 and is up-to-date for OS X 10.5.8.

Other apps that have been upgraded / improved but which I cannot use on Leopard are GraphicConverter and Numbers '09. AppleWorks 6 has features that Numbers '08 does not have, but Numbers '09 does have some of the improvements.

As long as my banking and utility sites work properly with what I am now using, I have no immediate reason to go from 10.5.8 to 10.6.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
For Apple to get everyone to use Mountain Lion they need to learn something from Microsoft and release their operating system for all computers that can handle at least 2gb of ram.

We know by Apple's past history that they maintain working operating systems for past, present and future hardware.

That means releasing 10.8 for PPC hardware with Intel Rosetta, Core Duo hardware, and current chipsets with PPC Rosetta and even for the A6X hardware which they will be migrating to shortly for their desktops.
And adding downloads for missing extensions like AppleTalk, printer drivers and video drivers.

Then and only then will their market share be somewhere near 80% or higher and they can boast over Microsoft that they are more unified with their OS on all their hardware.

Last edited:

TheNextBigThing

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2012
Pearl of the Orient
1. 10.8 is selling well as it's currently sold on all new Mac's. Mac's are at an all time high in sales.

2. Snow Leopard 10.6 is still doing well, and is now used more than 10.7. A lot of Mac users do not like 10.7 or 10.8 for reasons many know.

3. Snow Leopard was the biggest Mac OS when it was released, and so was Leopard, Tiger, etc.

A 3 1/2 year old OS X release is still used strongly after two major OS releases. This is interesting as all new systems are sold with current OS's, and Mac sales are stronger than ever, yet Snow Leopard is being used more than Lion and just a tad below Mountain Lion. Apparently some users must be installing Snow Leopard over their new systems with their DVD's or disc images. That says more about 10.7/8 than anything.

I completely agree with you. I have a mid-2009 13" MBP, Snow Leopard installed. 3 years after I bought it, my mac began to perform very slow. Upgraded the RAM from 2GB to 4GB, and changed the HDD to SSD. And I was amazed on how fast and smooth it performs now, just as fast (if not faster) when I bought it 38 months ago.

Proud user of Snow Leopard. :cool:

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010

Thanks

I think I came across this show as I was switching channels once.

----------

My version of Safari is 5.0.6 and is up-to-date for OS X 10.5.8.

Other apps that have been upgraded / improved but which I cannot use on Leopard are GraphicConverter and Numbers '09. AppleWorks 6 has features that Numbers '08 does not have, but Numbers '09 does have some of the improvements.

As long as my banking and utility sites work properly with what I am now using, I have no immediate reason to go from 10.5.8 to 10.6.

I have iWork 09 on my Leopard MacBook.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
With as many people that are still using 10.6 it is absolutely PATHETIC that Apple will not update Safari 6 to work with it.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
interesting how you are using a word that you dont fully comprehend.

But do you understand his use of the term. Many prgrams now will only work with OS 10.6 while others will only work with OS 10.8. For those tat aare unwilling too forgo those programs they have to use the OS that best fits their Mac needs.

I have written my Income prep software in Excel over 20 years ago. I like the speed of Excel 2004 best. Just like the Mac OS things just change with the new version & not get better. But my program was being limited by this older version of Excel. Excel 2008 was a total disaster for use with my program. Excel corrected most of those problems & the limitations I was having with Excel. Excel 2011 works very well on my 17" MacBook Pro under Lion. I have no choice here as OS 10.6 or 10.7 won't run on it. Excel 2011 works very well with OS 10.6 with my last gen MacPro. To keep all of my computers on the same OS I wold like to run OS 10.8 on everything. But with OS 10.7 or 10.8 I can only make 1 to 3 entries before the beach ball spins for 30 seconds to 2 minutes or so. Thus unless I can correct this problem I will have to run OS 10.6 on my Mac Pro.

For most things having to rn OS 10.6 is more of a pleasant experience than running any Mac OS after that. But since we need to have our Address Book/Contacts & Calendar sync between all of our Macs & iToys running OS 10.8 is needed. So for now this means running OS 10.6.8 on my Mac Pro & keeping my contacts & address book up to date on our 17" MacBook Pros & our many iToys.

Being able to run both OS 10.6 & 10.8 on my Mac Pro works out very well. I have 4 3 TB hdds + the 1 TB hdd that came with it mounted inside the case. This means that it is very easy to change between Mac OSes. The next thing to check out is to see if Excel 2011/v 14 runs well using OS 10.8 Server running under Parallels or Fusion. This would allow me to run the same OS on all of my Macs while keeping a as good as it gets speed on my Mac Pro for Excel.

Using OS 10.6.8 Server as I told about means that I can run any PPC program I would want to run while having OS 10.8 giving my Mac Pro good syncing with the rest of our equipment. This means that I can use the much better features of OS with 10.6.8 while using the better syncing with OS 10.8.

I agree with others in saying lon live Mac OS 10.6.8. With yearly Mac OS updates the new Mac OSes will never be as good or as solid of a change os OS 10.6.8 was.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
Planning to get the next iMac with HASWELL and hopefully 802.11ac. I wonder if it will be possible to install SL on those machines. Very satisfied with SL; the one thing that would be nice if it were added, would be multiple (redundant) Time Machine back-ups like in ML, but that's very unlikely to be added at this stage, sigh.

You'll have to do what I did, run OS 10.6.8 Server under Parallels or Fusion.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
I'd like to buy 10.7 for my MP1,1, but Apple doesn't want to sell me one.
Maybe it's because they think 10.7 is so bad or they want to sell me a "new" MP. Either way, they get no sale from me...

Cancelled
May 16, 2010
I'm running:

1 - Snow Leopard as the main OS I use, on my iMac
2 - Mountain Lion on my secondary machine (macbook pro)
3 - Tiger on iMac G4 :cool:

Last edited:

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
oh i wish new macs supported SL.. either 10.9 surprises me or i'm switching back to Win/Ubuntu on my next upgrade (and i'll always have my '06 mb for some old fashion time!)

I doubht 10/0 will surprise you, but going to Windows will be a worst downgrade then going to Mountain Lion.

Besides, after Lion fiasco, there are several 3rd party apps that make Mountain Lion behave very close to Snow Leopard. Its ridiculous that you have to tweak something that used to be perfect out of the box, but anyways, the apps are:

-TotalSpaces (Spaces back to Moutnain Lion)
-Sideeffects (color to finder icons)
-Lion Designer (makes you tweak visually the OS)
-BetterTouchTool (makes you change the fingers gestures to the way they were in Snow Leopard)

In addition, there are apple command scripts you can type on console to bring back "Save As" and also create the "Today" "Past Week" "ALL Documents" "All Movies" "All Pictures" Smart Folders.

To conclude, in Preferences, you can resize the finder icons and invert the scrolling back to normal

I am myself going to buy a new Mac soon, so I am preparing myself for the change. Snow Leopards is AMAZING, but Moutain Lion is gonna be ok to use...still better then Windows 8 FOR SURE

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I'm surprised Lion still has that sizable install base. With Mountain Lion available on App Stire for $20 this upgrade is a no brainier. For Snow Leopard it's a different story. Many users, like me, have a second older Mac that simply can't be upgraded further. For devs SL will continue to be an OS to support for many many years to come. Just like Mac OS 9 once was for those who remember.
I'm on Lion. Runs fine and is stable. I considered upgrading but I run transcoder overnight and have heard ML has an aggressive sleep setting that is interrupting functions that run a long time. Also, I rely on wifi and am seeing too many wifi issues being reported. Since I am not having any, everything is doing what I need, I just don't see what I'm missing by sticking with Lion. But I'm ready to be educated!

TheZA

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
I guess I'm the wierd one. I have a Macbook (5,2) and I3 iMac that I upgraded from SL to Lion, but have not upgraded to Mountain Lion. I keep a clone of SL for the iMac when I need PPC programs. I like iChat and FaceTime on Lion, but don't really care if I have iCloud. I have a new Macbook Air on ML, and Facetime was difficult getting to work with everything (the machines already mentioned and an iPad 2nd generation), and I haven't easily been able to get Messages working for video calls between various video programs. For me, Lion is working fine, great, no problem on the machines I have it installed on, and I will likely never upgrade these machines. I also don't like the App Store update on ML. The Macbook is mostly my daughters, the iPad mostly my sons, the iMac the hub. I don't want further integration with iCloud. I want to manually control what machine has what in the way of pictures, music, programs, etc. I don't want to be any more dependent on the Apple Borg.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Got a mac mini running SL because that's the latest OS it'll run. I presume that many that have early first or second generation Intel Mac hardware are in the same boat.

I'd caution against making ASSumptions based on SL installs because many that have SL and cannot upgrade would do so if they could.

Gosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2006
thanks to Google

If those 1/3 of Mac users using Snow Leopard are anything like me - they have had to leave the Apple ecosystem to survive. My dock (and iPhone by association) looks particularly non-Apple as a result, even on my 'Lion' laptop.

....post App store and post MobileMe it's not just survival needs it's also sweet revenge*!!!

(*that Apple supported Vista over Snow Leopard - tossers!)

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
ML is the best

I upgraded my Macs from SL to Lion to ML. I think ML is the best, nice features. I won't go back to SL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.