Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Just curious more than anything else. I understand the form factor for the Mini but what else attracted it to you besides that?

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
weight and portability were a big thing to me. ipad 2 needed a bag really to carry it around town safely and if ive got to take a bag i may as well take my macbook.

Caromsoft

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
I have both. I purchased the Mini because my girlfriend is going to (hopefully) start using the 2 more for her work, and I wanted something smaller. Also the 2 is WiFi and the Mini I bought with LTE so if it is needed I can use it anywhere.

And, who am I kidding, I just REALLY wanted a Mini! :)

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I went to the mini from an iPad 2. I sold the iPad 2 for it. I like the design, size, weight, and thinness of it. The improved cameras are a plus too.

Arcsylver

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Chicago, IL
My partner and I have been sharing our ipad 2 for the last year or so and I needed something larger to use while I am at work than my iPhone. Since he takes the ipad 2 to work with him to write during his lunch break I spent my christmas card money on the ipad mini for much better portability and LTE web access at work since the ipad 2 is wifi only.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I've had each of the full size iPads, and they've been great. I bought the iPad 4, and while it was more of an incremental upgrade based on my usage, it was well worth it.

That said I've always embraced tablets. While waiting for Apple to decide if they would build a more portable model, I've had a couple of Galaxy Tabs and now I've got a Nexus 7. It's a terrific model, being pure Android it updates automatically as each new OS rev is released. Pushed out to the device it loads it in the background so all one has to do is click on install when prompted, and it installs, reboots and you're ready to go. I simply couldn't be any easier. Google has caught up to Apple when it comes to ease of upgrades and updates.

Finally Apple has responded with the mini, and I enjoy that one as well. About the only drawback which is merely personal preference is it's width. At 15mm wider than the Nexus 7 it's not as easy and comfortable to hold, and I have large hands. The lower resolution as opposed to the N7 is noticeable, a bit annoying but not bad. All in all I'm enjoying all three and use them quite a bit more than I orginally anticipated.

LWP777

Suspended
Sep 20, 2010
I have owned a mini for the past month or so and yesterday I played around with my friend's iPad 2 and it felt like a brick. I hated it. The mini is just so much more portable and easier to use. It's the perfect size for a tablet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.