Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frocco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
I am having nothing but trouble trying to get windows 7 installed on my new iMac 1TB Fusion. Tech support has been no help.

My options.
1. Get base MP and TB display
2. Get maxed out MBP Retina.
3. Get new iMac with regular drive. (4 week wait)
4. Get HP desktop for gaming (1269.00) + base MBP.

I do some web development, and windows 7 for gaming (Medal of Honor)
I do not have any other computer to fall back on.

Thanks

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You can simply return it for a refund if within your return period and buy a MP online.

frocco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
I know, so you think option 1 is the best choice?

frocco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Not yet, but I know they will not have the maxed video card (680)

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
The MP doesn't have thunderbolt so don't go getting a thunderbolt display, you need the cinema display. Only issue I would have here is the displays being refreshed, if you need to buy a display with your machine now then by all means it's a great screen, but, keep in mind it is highly likely the screen will have a refresh to the new iMac type styling. Then again the cinema display is waiting to die as it's only useful for a Mac Pro in Apples current line up of computers.

I have a Mac Pro 2012 with a GTX 680 inside. Great for gaming and everything I need otherwise. Add up the cost of the cinema display, mac pro and a GTX 670/680 and you can decide if it's a good idea vs a gaming machine and base MBP. Personally i'd go with the base MBP and gaming machine but if you want the all together option the Mac Pro and unsupported card is a win.

frocco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
I have a Mac Pro 2012 with a GTX 680 inside. Great for gaming and everything I need otherwise. Add up the cost of the cinema display, mac pro and a GTX 670/680 and you can decide if it's a good idea vs a gaming machine and base MBP. Personally i'd go with the base MBP and gaming machine but if you want the all together option the Mac Pro and unsupported card is a win.

Thanks for pointing this out, I did not know they were different.

----------

The rMBP makes more sense to me because at least it is new technology.
Right now, I am confused, that is why I posted here.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Thanks for pointing this out, I did not know they were different.

----------

The rMBP makes more sense to me because at least it is new technology.
Right now, I am confused, that is why I posted here.

The rMBP is a powerhouse indeed but I have been through each computer in Apple's line up from 13" MBP to my last computer a maxed out rMBP. Now it is a fantastic portable but if you like to game now and again a tower is the only real option. You'll be swapping machines out every year or so where as a Mac Pro would last longer given you can change the card. If you would be happy buying a Mac Pro 6 core this late in the cycle, it is one of the fastest machines Apple sells and it's of course upgradable.

One more thing to consider, thunderbolt is a tool mainly for portable machines. It has it's uses for a Mac Pro in theory but the uses are far less given it has a lot more ports and a PCIe bay. USB 3 can be added along with a SATA 3 card.

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
Seeing as your only using windows for development and 1 game why not use a install windows as a vm using parallels or something similar. But why do people buy macs to run windows, whats wrong with a pc all in one or a high end laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.