Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drew.bowser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Missouri
So whenever I am running a load on the CPU (IE - exporting in Lightroom 4 while watching HULU) the machine will come up with the grey screen with an error message that OSX needs to shut down.

I am running upgraded RAM 16gb of Adata RAM. Latest OSX update - 2x 24" Dell Ultrasharp displays.

Any Ideas?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So whenever I am running a load on the CPU (IE - exporting in Lightroom 4 while watching HULU) the machine will come up with the grey screen with an error message that OSX needs to shut down.

I am running upgraded RAM 16gb of Adata RAM. Latest OSX update - 2x 24" Dell Ultrasharp displays.

Any Ideas?
Use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds. The shutdown may or may not be heat related.

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2013
I am really interested in a similar Mini setup w/ expanded ram. Please post if you have any results. I would be using it to run similar apps.

Does this still occur when only exporting in lightroom / no background app running? What other apps can recreate this crash?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey

Any Ideas?

Use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds. The shutdown may or may not be heat related.

I did extensive testing of high temp issues with the 2012 i7 quad core.

power users of the cpu can overheat.

I can link you to my testing but a lot of people on this site got very angry about this thread

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1490510/

I am a long time power user , tester, modder and seller of minis so if you read the thread realize I posted it for power users of the

i7 quad core minis. Ignore some of the snippy remarks traded.

You need to monitor temps GGJstudios has picked the correct 2 softwares to use.

first one is free if you run hot buy the second one for the 16$ and i can show how to set up a better fan control for heat.

also here is a link for a side mount stand.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/NUSTALYMINI/

the side mount will drop temps 2 - 3 c. notice my mini is stacked on a laptop cooler along with the side mount.

Attachments

• IMG_2398.JPG
    IMG_2398.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 470
Last edited:

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
the side mount will drop temps 2 - 3 c. notice my mini is stacked on a laptop cooler along with the side mount.

philipma, appreciate your comments are experience. So side mount drops temp 2-3 C and what about the laptop fan? Any idea what affect that has for your use?

One member on here mentioned they used the Ikea napkin holder as a side mount holder:

fantastisk-napkin-holder-for--napkins__65960_PE177825_S4.jpg

Sure it isn't the nicest looking option, but for $2 it would get the job done.

I would love to have someone CNC a nice aluminum version of this. Just a bit smaller than this.

FYI6E6BH1YOINWA.LARGE.jpg

http://www.instructables.com/id/Apple-Mac-Mini-Cooler-Made-with-Drawer-Slide-CNC/

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
my laptop cooler is worth 2- 4 c .

depends on my room temp.

I keep my house at 76f or 24.4 c . for the winter and the laptop cooler drops

me 4c.

When my house is warmer (80f in the summer)

the laptop cooler will lower temps 2c.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"also here is a link for a side mount stand.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/NUSTALYMINI/ "

Have you tried using a "laptop cooling stand" with a single, large fan?

I was considering something like this:
http://tinyurl.com/aovqe73
The fan is about 7" in diameter.

Just take the bottom plate off the Mini, set it onto the cooling stand, plug in USB connector.

I have a Mini arriving on January 7, won't be able to test until then...

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
"also here is a link for a side mount stand.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/NUSTALYMINI/ "

Have you tried using a "laptop cooling stand" with a single, large fan?

I was considering something like this:
http://tinyurl.com/aovqe73
The fan is about 7" in diameter.

Just take the bottom plate off the Mini, set it onto the cooling stand, plug in USB connector.

I have a Mini arriving on January 7, won't be able to test until then...

I used to use the laptop cooler and no black plate. got dusty and only did a 2-4 c drop. the side mount and the laptop cooler and setting the base fan speed at 2300 rpm gave me 13f drop or 10c. looks okay i posted the photo above.

A lot depends on your house temp. cooler the house the better this works.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012

Any Ideas?
I don't think that you've proved the cause of the kernel panic is overheating. It could be something else.
See if you can find the panic logs in the Console utility. They may point towards the cause.

DYER

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK

Any Ideas?

I think we have pretty much the same setup. I have to admit that no matter what i have thrown at mine I have never had that error? I do have one less screen but have had Photoshop run some pretty long and complex tasks which pegged the CPU at around 96-100% for 15 minutes at a time and it never overheated.
Might be worth having it checked out.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
These things do get hot. It's normal, don't worry. Look what I did to mine in order to reduce temps.

Temps dropped, no doubt about that, but in the end I was happier with the fact that my Mini is more silent now. All dressed up it'd get to 100ºC with fans at 5500rpm (max). It was like a Jumbo on fire.

Now it just hits 90ºC more or less at around 3000rpm. Much better.

My point being, these are hot machines. They could've made them so they had a better cooling solution, yes, but this works and won't fail because of overheating unless an isolated problem (as philip with his first quad 2012 mini).

drew.bowser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Missouri
I don't think that you've proved the cause of the kernel panic is overheating. It could be something else.
See if you can find the panic logs in the Console utility. They may point towards the cause.

I am wondering this too, the computer is not at my office, but if I put the error message is there anyone that can make any sense of it on these boards?

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
I am wondering this too, the computer is not at my office, but if I put the error message is there anyone that can make any sense of it on these boards?

I'm sure someone on here will know something about it (probably not me). Have you tried googling it?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Have you tried googling it?
This is an excellent suggestion for any troubleshooting.

Make sure you get the exact text of any error message you see. Copy and paste it, if you can, or take a screen shot), then paste or type the exact text into a Google search. You'll likely find many others who have seen the same error message and found a resolution.

drew.bowser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Missouri
Kernel Panic

So it is a Kernel Panic - I can post the diagnostic report, but wanted to make sure I wasnt posting anything sensitive - is there any information that should not be made public in the report?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So it is a Kernel Panic - I can post the diagnostic report, but wanted to make sure I wasnt posting anything sensitive - is there any information that should not be made public in the report?
It's perfectly safe to post a kernel panic report.

If you get a screen that looks like this:
TS3742_01_KP-001-en.jpg
It's called a kernel panic. If it doesn't happen again, or very infrequently, you don't need to worry about it.
In most cases, kernel panics are not caused by an issue with your Mac. They are most likely caused by an issue external to your Mac. If the kernel panic doesn't happen again within a few weeks, you don't need to troubleshoot further.
If it does happen again, this may help:

drew.bowser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Missouri
Let me rephrase, I know its a kernel panic, but I didnt want to post the log since it has a lot of numbers and details that I didnt know what it meant...

Ill post it a little later today

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.