Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Hmmmm!? Not letting me register. Keeps asking for a Captcha code but there is no text box to enter one and in fact no generated code to enter if there was. Am I doing something wrong here or do we have a first glitch?

OK, I'll dig around in the config and fix that.

----------

Fixed!

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
So whats the website's link?

thinkmchost.com/powerpc

----------

Hmmmm!? Not letting me register. Keeps asking for a Captcha code but there is no text box to enter one and in fact no generated code to enter if there was. Am I doing something wrong here or do we have a first glitch?

I believe that it gave you an error when you attempted to register again? I'll look into that one as well, I can't believe how many issues I'm having right now. In any case, you have the permissions to upload files. I think there might be an issue with file size, I'll fix that ASAP.

Falstaff

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012
Arizona
Yeah, it stated that there was an error in sending the registration email. I'm kicking myself for not taking screen prints for you.

Bugs? Yeah, been there in the past. Don't stress on it. Your doing a great thing. We all really appreciate you guy's work. (Wow, was that a Cousin Vinnie moment or what?):D

Falstaff

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012
Arizona
Say, You guys wouldn't be interested in an almost complete collection of MacAddict cd's, would you? Actually have several duplicates as well. A lot of it is OS7, 8 & 9 stuff but there is some OS X stuff (games, utilities and trial software) as well. I also have an almost double set of Mac Cube cd set from Aztech software. Though it's all OS7 stuff on them.

Let me know and pm me a mailing address and I'll send them too you.

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Torrents would be particularly well suited to this type of thing. Unfortunately I set up a very similar archive for something else, it never took off because people just couldn't grasp how BitTorrent works. We caught a load of flak from people who had just heard of BT being bashed in the mainstream press for being the root of piracy and didn't understand how it worked.

Anywho, regardless of that failure, if you are interested, I will have a dig around for our code - it has all the usual stuff you'd expect (categories, comments etc.) as well as auto-seeding, virus scanning and torrent creation from files.

Also, there is this huge misconception that WordPress is just for blogs. This is so very wrong! It is an extremely flexible CMS platform, and you'll find that many high-traffic sites actually use it.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
Torrents would be particularly well suited to this type of thing. Unfortunately I set up a very similar archive for something else, it never took off because people just couldn't grasp how BitTorrent works. We caught a load of flak from people who had just heard of BT being bashed in the mainstream press for being the root of piracy and didn't understand how it worked.

Anywho, regardless of that failure, if you are interested, I will have a dig around for our code - it has all the usual stuff you'd expect (categories, comments etc.) as well as auto-seeding, virus scanning and torrent creation from files.

Also, there is this huge misconception that WordPress is just for blogs. This is so very wrong! It is an extremely flexible CMS platform, and you'll find that many high-traffic sites actually use it.

I will second the word press praise, it is surprisingly powerful and flexible. Plenty of plugins for it too!

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
same here

Sorry to bug you but I got an error when trying to register, heres a screenshot of it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dnfwk1q0gb04c1y/Error.png?m

I am having trouble getting our server to connect to Google's SMTP servers, so it is generating an error when it tries to send a registration email. I manually activated all of your accounts this morning. I thought I had deactivated the automatic email for new users, but evidently I forgot to save that change.

Just register, if it pulls up the error, I will have to manually approve you, if not, you are ready to post in the forums. However, before you upload, I will have to change the permissions associated with your account. This is to prevent any random person from uploading software illegally- I just check it with your Macrumors name. Please read the topic in the forums about what you can and can't upload.

----------

Max upload size is 100MB

Last edited:

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Everyone who has attempted to register thus far can now upload files that are up to 100MB. If they are higher, PM me, and I can make adjustments to allow larger files.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Hey Keeks, I thought we were only allowing certain people to upload?

Yup. Everyone who has registered has been on Macrumors and I think everyone so far is trustworthy. I'll PM you and show you how to edit user permissions in a moment.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
thinkmchost.com/powerpc

----------

I believe that it gave you an error when you attempted to register again? I'll look into that one as well, I can't believe how many issues I'm having right now. In any case, you have the permissions to upload files. I think there might be an issue with file size, I'll fix that ASAP.

Do you have to be logged in to download files? I see none :/

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
about trial and that stuff,to avoid piracy problems I guess we should only update legal files, then anyone who wnats use iserial or something.
For example I have here bluephoneelite, the latest version, I will only upload the file, but for sure iserial has the serial for it (it is the same as the olders ones).
You can't even buy the app now.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Do you have to be logged in to download files? I see none :/

I am not at home and the only access to internet I have is an iPad, so I can't upload files. You can view files but not download if you are not signed in. Any registered user can download files, certain users that I can trust can upload files.

----------

about trial and that stuff,to avoid piracy problems I guess we should only update legal files, then anyone who wnats use iserial or something.
For example I have here bluephoneelite, the latest version, I will only upload the file, but for sure iserial has the serial for it (it is the same as the olders ones).
You can't even buy the app now.

Exactly.

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Is there any particular reason for making users register in order to download files? Sure, if it's the only place I can find a file I'd sign up - but otherwise I would move straight on and find somewhere else to download from.

If you're worried about bandwidth abuse then I would recommend sticking all the files in the cloud on something like S3 which will give you more than enough space for a few dollars a month.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
I am not at home and the only access to internet I have is an iPad, so I can't upload files. You can view files but not download if you are not signed in. Any registered user can download files, certain users that I can trust can upload files.

----------

Exactly.

Nope, I can't see files. 0 Files.

Register to download? hmmm yeah...

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Registering helps with bots and some other nasty things.

If you stick Cloudflare in front of it with bot protection turned on, that will get rid of a good deal of them. Like I said before, dumping all the files in the cloud will make bandwidth abuse almost pointless because the storage is so cheap. Put a throttle on and disable hotlinking. There goes 90% of the bots without even resorting to using Captchas. There are plenty of decent alternatives to Captcha such as AreYouAHuman which is a lot less frustrating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.