Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
NY
I have had this iPhone 5 for about a month now, and as you can see there has been a great deal of dust buildup between the camera and front cover. At first I didnt care as it did not seem to effect images, but now in lowlight or really bright pictures you can start seeing the effects of them.

All the iPhones I have owned had never had this issue. This is also an replacement due to an unrelated camera issue on my original iPhone 5 (there was a defect on the camera sensor), but that iPhone 5 never had dust going in between the camera and cover.

Seems like there is an issue with the gasket that allows dust to get in on some of these iPhone 5's. Anyone else have a similar issue? Im about to go get this one replaced again :/

p1020603g.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
It looks like someone's taken that glass panel off with a screwdriver. Check the massive dent in the ridge at the top (there's always a ridge, but you can see a quite clear pry mark).

This would explain the dust.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
DAAAAaaang! I just went and checked mine and I don't have any. I go nude too.... That's bad though. crazy.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i had a small speck of dust or something in there when i bought the phone. took it back to an apple store and the guy went in the back and came out in 5 mins with it removed. he said sometimes it happens during the manufacturing process. but as i said, no need for a replacement phone as he was easily able to remove the dust.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
That camera lens need Head and Shoulders.

Mic looks dusty too.

Take it in.

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
NY
It looks like someone's taken that glass panel off with a screwdriver. Check the massive dent in the ridge at the top (there's always a ridge, but you can see a quite clear pry mark).

There is no pry mark, and no one has taken off the back glass. :rolleyes:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

This should show the mark I'm talking about - you can see the dent going into the aluminium quite clearly. You can see it goes into the aluminium below, and that the glass has been rounded off at that exact point.

Screen-Shot-2013-01-06-at-23.47.01.png

Aliens

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
Foreign object under lens

I got my iphone 5 last week from a telco. Didn't realize the amoeba-like speck under the lens until today. Is this a common issue for the iphone 5's?

Attachments

• _MG_7175.jpeg
    _MG_7175.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 864
  • _MG_7221.jpeg
    _MG_7221.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 646
Last edited:

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008

yup I see it too

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2008
This appears to be a very widespread issue. See my thread about four iPhone 5's I had to exchange because of it.

Dust/smudges/scratches camera lens of the iPhone 5:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1509409/

And to be honest, all five iPhone 5's I had in my hands had some specks of dust under the camera lens. (or even scratches)

This definitely looks like a design flaw to me and that's why I am waiting until the release of an iPhone 5S.

----------

I've had a couple specs but nothing like that! :eek:

Probably, the more you use your iPhone 5 outside the more dust will get inside the lens cover (which isn't properly sealed). I have never had this issue with my old iPhone 3GS.

----------

i had a small speck of dust or something in there when i bought the phone. took it back to an apple store and the guy went in the back and came out in 5 mins with it removed. he said sometimes it happens during the manufacturing process. but as i said, no need for a replacement phone as he was easily able to remove the dust.

But it also means that the lens cover is not sealed and the dust will eventually appear inside in the future anyway. Terrible...

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Considering this thread is a week and a half old (with only a couple folks claiming the same and about a dozen responses)---I'm not sure how 'wide spread' an issue it is.

We've got 3 iPhone 5s in the family now, as well--an iTouch 5 (my son's for Christmas). No specs of dust under the lens in any of the units. All perfectly, exceptionally clear.

Two iPhones were purchased through AT&T about 2 months apart--another at the Apple Store, the same place we picked up the iTouch. The reason I bring that up is that they were obviously from different 'batches' in the process.

I agree with whoever pointed out the mark that looks as though it was 'messed' with. That's not normal. We've got two blacks and a white. None of the three have that 'mark'. What happened to it? Did you receive it like that? Agreed with the others...take it to the Apple store and see what they have to say.

J

chipfiev

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
According to my local Apple store, this is a known problem - and it's not dust.

I thought I had dust in the lens of my iPhone 5 after looking at some pictures I had recently taken. I noticed a dark spot in the same location of a number of pictures. I took my phone to the Apple Store and, once the genius saw the speck, I was quickly given a replacement phone.

The real reason: the "dust" was a piece of the sapphire lens. I asked if there was anything I could do to prevent this and was told there wasn't. It just happens.

So, while your mileage may vary, my dust problem was much more than that.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
in the words of 99% of users on this forum

You're overreacting with your OCD! this phone is perfectly fine, you threw that dust into the camera and now you're trying to make apple look bad!

iKroes

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
Also noticed a kind of smudge on my taken photos. Looked at my lens and could see a smudge/dustpart under the lens....pretty frustrating because this phone was just perfect...now i got a black spot on my pictures.

This is my 4th iphone 5 now :(

1st: scratches out of the box on the screen
2nd: scratches out of the box and dents
3rd: dent on the back of the phone and damaged spots
4th: smudges on camera lens

maaaan, why apple, whyyy?

tylrcly

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
Would I have to have AppleCare to be able to get a replacement on my iPhone 5 with the same dust/smudge mark in my lens if I took it to the Genius bar?

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
I've had to return three iPhone 5's due to this very issue. My 4th has been going strong for 2 weeks now, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Just hope they resolve this manufacturing issue before my warranty expires.

peteklassen

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2014
in the words of 99% of users on this forum

You're overreacting with your OCD! this phone is perfectly fine, you threw that dust into the camera and now you're trying to make apple look bad!

It's not just 99%. I'm sure there a lot of people that haven't spoken up about it. I have the same problem as well behind my screen and my camera lens.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

The Saphire lens cover does look like it was tampered with and no doubt something has happened to break the seal and allow dust to get in. The same debris that is in your lens is present in the speaker hole, etc.

This is why I do not put my phone in pockets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.