Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Apple has some ARM source code on opensource.apple.com. I think this means OS X 11.x.x runs on Intel & ARM processors, like Windows 8.

No, that's iOS.

Apple need a big developer release if they want Mac app creativity to increase. AppKit has a lot of extremely complex and awkward to use controls. Apple need a simpler, more refined set of controls closer to UIKit.

Making a great mac app is far more involved than making a great iOS app, especially for beginners. The Mac should modernise its API.

Aug 26, 2008
:rolleyes: give it a rest.

----------

I think what he's saying is he'd rather have file libraries assigned to individual, specialized apps, since Finder alone isn't exactly capable of managing all files efficiently seeing as it has to standardize 'files' as we know them. Having specialized UI to manage sets of files makes more sense.

Why do you need traditional file structure, anyway? What do you "compute"?

You can't possibly be this dense, to suggest that being able to access files is not needed these days...

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
All I want is for apple to bring back PowerPC support, although it will never happen...

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Only for power users. It has limited everyday application, and there are surely better ways to address file management, as Finder is pretty bad.

I'm not a power user, and I need to be able to move my files around. For example, I host my iTunes library on an external HD because I ran out of space on my Mac. If I couldn't get at the iTunes library I wouldn't be able to move it.

I often run into cases where I've downloaded a file and there's no application on my computer that can open it. I have to search for the right app for that file type and download it, then locate the file and open it. If there were no file structure, I wouldn't even know where the file was located. Stupid.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
I think it would be nice if there was a dictate form of Siri so that we could dictate quickly and correctly without it having to load through the internet...

blatopilot

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
Here's a thought.
How about the fix everything they broke since 10.6.8; you know- make it work again.

but, they won't-

It's been a long bumpy ride since SL.

Less bloat and more stability would be my vote.

I like my iPhone, but I blame ios. It's a profit machine so all the attention and focus is on mobile...the combination of trying to merge features of ios and osx, with most resources being poured into ios or mobile hardware has left OSX feeling like a permanent beta. Hopefully, with the new leadership structure, OSX's will become a priority again. Even if its not the top priority.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Things I want:

1. Less bloat, no explanation needed

2. Fullscreen mode to work properly, if I do fullscreen Safari in desktop 1 with Mission Control, it should be assigned to Desktop 1. This could make it so I can have multiple full screen applications open and I can switch between them easier. Also two fullscreen applications on two monitors.

3. Notifications to do more than what it does. I think it has a lot of potential, just kind of half-assed right now.

4. Improved Safari. Although Safari is my browser of choice, I think it can still be improved. The browser market is always being improved.

5. Less convoluted UI. I feel this will be probably be done in Mac OS 11.

6. iCloud to take up less battery life. Before I turned iCloud off in Mountain Lion, I was consistently getting 3-4 hours of battery life. After I turned it off, I get more in the Snow Leopard range, about 5-6, sometimes 7 hours.

7. Finder needs restructuring. It doesn't serve it's purpose, making finding files, applications, and system workings easier. Hopefully they don't go the iOS route and completely make the under-the-hood stuff invisible, but unfortunately I feel they might.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I think TSE has it hit on the head pretty hard when it comes to what they're going to do.

I would likely to know what he mans by "less convoluted UI", though.

aznboi91

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Predictions for OS X 10.9 and iOS 7?

Any concept ideas? What it would be like? When it would be released?

Some people are saying Siri and Apple Maps integration into Mac OS X, but I don't see any reason to... Do you guys?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH

Some people are saying Siri and Apple Maps integration into Mac OS X, but I don't see any reason to... Do you guys?
Maps not so much. Siri, though, would enable a bunch of features that aren't possible in OS X today - likely branded as expanded Voice Control ( + Siri ).

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

Maps as they're trying to get away from Google, so bringing Maps to Mac would make sense, even if it is a pile of crap. Plus 3D view would look great on a bigger screen.

Siri would be really useful for, say, reading out emails while your working etc. One feature I'd really like to see.

All I want is for apple to bring back PowerPC support, although it will never happen...
Agreed on both counts! Since buying a new Mac in 2011, I've still many OS X native classic gaming titles (eg. Rise of Nations, Age of Empires 2, Starcraft, etc.) that are simply useless to me unless I buy an older pre-Lion OS X Mac. But that hardly seems worth it for gaming alone.

My new Mac serves all my other purposes just fine, but frequently rebooting into Windows simply to play a game eventually became too much hassle.

Thus, selling all those games & buying a new PC is now an increasingly attractive option. :rolleyes:

Of course this wouldn't be so if there was a cat's chance in hell of PPC support returning. I'd prefer sticking with Mac even for gaming, but sadly that looks highly unlikely, if not out of the question.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I'd like touchscreen support and some products that could use it.

I know that's not a popular opinion and people will scream osx is turning into iOS, but I'm finding since I use my iPad so much, that when I go to my iMac using a mouse seems kinda weird and slow.

Most normal os operations could be done with fingers and the more intricate things like photoshop where precision is vital could be mouse or pen.

Flame On.... :)

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Apple has some ARM source code on opensource.apple.com. I think this means OS X 11.x.x runs on Intel & ARM processors, like Windows 8.

I would have said more the latest cray supercomputers.
Arm Processor to handle system management, User interaction.
x86 and GPU cores handle grunt processing.
They'd need much better process separation before they did that though.
Maybe the real reason behind the sand boxing, XPC, Grand Central, LaunchD over the last many versions of the OS.

I think the change that defines OSx to whats next will be that idea of seemless personal cluster, but we still seem to be aways off from that.

TheGdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
North Carolina, USA
Hopefully they remove file management altogether. The iOS method of just having apps works better.

Its a good concept, but there is one big problem. External storage media! Say you connect your flash drive to look at some pictures, you would still need to browse the folders/files on the flash drive. Apple can eliminate the need to browse files in regards to open/save inside of programs. But you will always need some kind of file browser.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I think they'll try to further diminish the importance of the file system, but not remove it. There are many users who open a file by first opening the app (just like in iOS), so I think they'll be a better method for viewing files from the app. However, they will still provide a way for people to view all of their files, if they need to.

iTunes 11, Calendar, Messages, Contacts, Notes, and Reminders all use Helvetica. So I see Helvetica completely replacing Lucida Grande sometime in the future.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I think they'll try to further diminish the importance of the file system, but not remove it. There are many users who open a file by first opening the app (just like in iOS), so I think they'll be a better method for viewing files from the app. However, they will still provide a way for people to view all of their files, if they need to.

iTunes 11, Calendar, Messages, Contacts, Notes, and Reminders all use Helvetica. So I see Helvetica completely replacing Lucida Grande sometime in the future.
I agree regarding Helvetica: It just plain looks better at Retina resolutions anyway.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
I would have said more the latest cray supercomputers.
Arm Processor to handle system management, User interaction.
x86 and GPU cores handle grunt processing.
They'd need much better process separation before they did that though.
Maybe the real reason behind the sand boxing, XPC, Grand Central, LaunchD over the last many versions of the OS.

I think the change that defines OSx to whats next will be that idea of seemless personal cluster, but we still seem to be aways off from that.

A PowerPC G6 cpu could take care of anything tough to process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.