Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jozero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
Apple's iPod Nano has all the features to be a great 2nd screen to the iPhone. iOS6 bluetooth allows for information sharing between iPhone and the Nano, the screen is large enough to show useful amount of information, and it has a touch screen to quickly go through information. The connection would also remove the need to manually sync the iPod Nano with iTunes on a computer.

Benefits of a 2nd Screen Device

The iPod Nano would act as a second screen to select iOS applications. While it might seem minor to take out an iPhone from the pocket, sometimes the iPhone is not always accessible. The iPhone could be in pocket while sitting, you may want directions while biking, or the iPhone may not be near while exercising.

:: The Nano displaying SMS and iMessage alerts
nano_sms.jpg

:: A scrolling list of appointments. The next appointment is at the top.
nano_cal.jpg

:: Apple Map directions. The list would be scrollable.
nano_map.jpg

Connecting the Nano to the iPhone
The iPod Nano has bluetooth 4. As compared to previous versions of bluetooth, this version uses a fraction of battery power. Battery life can be days instead of hours. Bluetooth 4 also makes the pairing process much quicker. If an iPhone uses the Nano as a second screen, the accessible apps iOS square icon would show up on the Nano. This would visually separate the linked apps from the built in ones on the Nano. If the connection is severed, the apps would disappear.

Wearing the Nano

The previous Nano was watch sized, and perfect for the wrist in a traditional sense. However clay tests with the current nano show it also wristable (ps. my wrist is very skinny). It could also be worn on a lanyard, which Apple offered with the original iPod Shuffle.

nano_clayside.jpg

nano_claytop.jpg

nano_lanyard.jpg

No More iTunes Syncing - Controlling Music on iPhone
The bluetooth connection between the Nano and iPhone would also let the Nano control the music on the iPhone. This would remove the hassle of having to sync the Nano with a computer in order to get content on it. Via iCloud the iPhone would auto-sync music and podcasts between the user's iPhone, Macs, and other devices.

Why Current 2nd Screen Devices Fail
There is an attempt to take the current watch form and make it into a second screen.

:: While the Pebble watch is exciting, the screen isn't the quality we expect from our devices. Given the screen shape and quality, the translation of iOS notifications isn't of high quality.
nano_pebble.jpg

:: The Cuckoo watch looks great. Only problem is the information has no value. Only indicating "You have an alarm, chat message, appointment, or call" provides no usable information.<br/>
nano_cuckoo.jpg

Chances of the iPod Nano as a 2nd Screen

The current Nano is a curious device released by Apple. Typically Apple just doesn't include technology in their products as a spec check point, but fully think out the potential of the new technology. Then combined with software they showcase the tech with an exciting new use (airplay being one example). The Bluetooth in the iPod Nano is vastly underused, having second screen devices would also show an exciting new side to iOS.

Thoughts ?

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
The picture of your wrist made me lol.
I don't know any people that carry around both their iPhone and iPod nano, seems kind of pointless to use a nano for this unless it had cellular data and could be used in this way without needing the iPhone around.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I carry my 6g nano with me along with my iPhone 5. I use the nano as a pedometer and for working out at the gym (running and heart rate).

doasis23

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
Everything you stated applies to the previous Nano. If Apple released a new Nano that does everything you listed in the previous form factor I'd buy it without hesitation. That being said, there is no way anyone is wearing the current model on their arm.

jozero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
The picture of your wrist made me lol.

:)

I don't know any people that carry around both their iPhone and iPod nano, seems kind of pointless to use a nano for this unless it had cellular data and could be used in this way without needing the iPhone around.

So the majority of people I know actually don't like their iPhone as their 'everything' device. They don't like their headphones winding under their jacket then also trying to use the phone to type on. Nor do they like using the iPhone for exercise trying to fumble with the headphone controls or having it in their pocket. Most people still do it, since the iPhone offers so many benefits, but I believe there is a market for a smart 'controller' for the iPhone. I'm not saying it'll sell iPhone numbers, but it will help sell the Nano.

Everything you stated applies to the previous Nano. If Apple released a new Nano that does everything you listed in the previous form factor I'd buy it without hesitation. That being said, there is no way anyone is wearing the current model on their arm.

I disagree the square nano was large enough to show useful information. Yes the current Nano is a touch large, I doubt the majority of people would wear it on their wrist. Shrink the screen just a touch, minimize the dead space with the home button, and then we'd have something.

However there is no reason Apple couldn't release an update for the current Nano & iOS that do what I suggested above. Thats one of the points of the article. The current Nano is bizarre, not using its bluetooth beyond the most obvious reason, and not integrating with the device the user very likely also has in their pocket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.