Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rolanddes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Hi everyone.

I want to know wheter adding a cover art to a music file in iTunes embeds the image to the music file or it just makes itunes show the cover art when you click on the music file?

I mean do we see the same cover art when we use music players other than iTunes?

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
iTunes 10 or earlier or iTunes 11?

If you are using the get info panel in both versions it will embed to the file. In v10 and earlier if you add to the bottom left hand viewer it will just a file to the artwork folder. Obviously this redundant in v11 as that viewer is no longer there.

Rolanddes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
I'm using the latest. But it does not seem to embed though. I'll go with BRLawyer's solution.

Thank you guys, both.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
iTunes does embed it into the metadata perfectly well, but if you are using Windows (or perhaps WINE I haven't tried) you can use Mp3tag to fully edit the files metadata including adding embedded album art, including striping out and converting old ID3v1 to ID3v2.3 which is better.

Rolanddes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
iTunes does embed it into the metadata perfectly well, but if you are using Windows (or perhaps WINE I haven't tried) you can use Mp3tag to fully edit the files metadata including adding embedded album art, including striping out and converting old ID3v1 to ID3v2.3 which is better.

Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.