Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
My Apple store is always busy, and the iMacs receive all the attention they can handle

Anecdotal observations rarely reveal much because there are so many variables

US, UK, somewhere else
Location of the Apple store in the city
Demographics of the surrounding area
Time of day
Day of the week
yada, yada, yada

Too much variance to make any conclusions based on a couple of visits to any store

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Maybe my location (richmond...vancouver cdn) but been there twice since new Imacs came out and both times Im the only one looking at them...Today i went to see the 27"....there were 3 21" along one side of store, nobody looking...other side of store had table with 4 21" and 2 27" and once again not a soul looking...all people wanted to see,touch ect was Ipad this Ipad that...anyone else notice this at there local stores?"

Kind of tells you what the future of Apple "desktop computers" may be?

If that's the case, what's the future of the Mac OS? Will it wither away?

This is why - to the derision of others - I have in the past made predictions on this forum that at some point in the future, we may see Apple abandon the sale of "desktop hardware computers" (i.e., "out-of-the-box" solutions as the iMac is today), and move towards either a licensing of the OS to other manufacturers (at a high premium), or perhaps offer an "OS & approved motherboard" package that users (or other computer manufacturers) can drop into an external case and then have the Mac OS as an alternative to Windows.

I had a similar experience at a Western Connecticut Apple Store before Christmas. They'd just gotten a new 27" iMac in, it was set up on a side table with a 21" iMac. There was no one even looking at it...

Aside: there were several tables filled by Mac laptops, and they were indeed getting attention. But the desktops (just two of them in the entire store) were all-but-ignored. And no Mini on display at all - I inquired about it, and the Apple person said they didn't have shelf space for it..
Haven't seen a MacPro on display in some time...

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
This is why - to the derision of others - I have in the past made predictions on this forum that at some point in the future, we may see Apple abandon the sale of "desktop hardware computers" (i.e., "out-of-the-box" solutions as the iMac is today), and move towards either a licensing of the OS to other manufacturers (at a high premium), or perhaps offer an "OS & approved motherboard" package that users (or other computer manufacturers) can drop into an external case and then have the Mac OS as an alternative to Windows.

Not to deride you any more ;), but that'll be the day I seriously consider dumping my Apple shares. It's the antithesis of everything Apple stands for. Look at the new iMacs - an amazing feat if engineering in a beautiful package. That's what it's all about.

I'm sure the iMac is no longer at the top of Apple's pile, but they're going to make a pretty penny off this new model and from what I can tell they're selling plenty, since supplies are so constrained. Even if the average consumer isn't interested in a desktop, Apple knows all about catering to a niche, and how to make that profitable. They'll have an interest to do that for as long as it represents a couple billion dollars in the bank, and I don't see that changing. If anything, Macs are doing better than ever!

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
"Maybe my location (richmond...vancouver cdn) but been there twice since new Imacs came out and both times Im the only one looking at them...Today i went to see the 27"....there were 3 21" along one side of store, nobody looking...other side of store had table with 4 21" and 2 27" and once again not a soul looking...all people wanted to see,touch ect was Ipad this Ipad that...anyone else notice this at there local stores?"

Kind of tells you what the future of Apple "desktop computers" may be?

If that's the case, what's the future of the Mac OS? Will it wither away?

I had a similar experience at a Western Connecticut Apple Store before Christmas. They'd just gotten a new 27" iMac in, it was set up on a side table with a 21" iMac. There was no one even looking at it...

Aside: there were several tables filled by Mac laptops, and they were indeed getting attention. But the desktops (just two of them in the entire store) were all-but-ignored. And no Mini on display at all - I inquired about it, and the Apple person said they didn't have shelf space for it..
Haven't seen a MacPro on display in some time...

In other words, Apple would rather use a 50 sq-ft of table to display 10 iPads or iPhones rather than 4 iMacs or MacPros. Desktops will only get the remaining space of all. Costumers less want them, Apple pay less attention either. Double kill :D

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
they were all being used at

the 14th Street Apple in NYC on a Friday night and I'm sure they were all being used at the 5th Avenue store at that time too.

When I was at the 5th Avenue store last Thursday morning (around 8:00) only two 27" were being used. None of the 21.5" were being used, but to be fair a lot of the computers/iDevices weren't being used because nearly everyone was waiting at the Genius Bar for some bigwig to emerge from the backroom (had no idea who it was.)

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
No..it was just a observation...maybe it's my location? just seemed strange that the two times I've been there,nobody was at the Imac at all...just kinda thought with the new design people would wanna check them out.

As a long time computer user (mainly desktops) you can really see how the market is now completely going mobile.From smartphones (which i just consider tiny computers) to laptops and tablets,I'm guessing were seeing the last few years of the desktop computer.

Same here very few people on the iMacs and most on the massive array of ipads and laptop's. As people on here have concluded desktop sales are just going downhill. I wont be leaving the desktop scene untill you can ger A/ get a laptop that can be left on for 24 hours max cpu rendering without exploding and B/ you can purchase a laptop and at least 27 inch screen for about the same money as you could buy an all in one desktop for. That would be the last day of the desktop pc.

BigRedOne

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2007
I was in the Chula Vista Store in San Diego area for a least 10 minutes or perhaps a little longer trying to decide between a 21.5 and a 27 inch iMac. Not one person came near the iMac's. Don't know what that really means but that is what I observed.

canadianpj

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
It has nothing to do with lack of attention. A lot of what many people need in a computing device can be done on a mobile device.

I just find it hard to speculate and nod my head based off of what people "discover" based on a very limited time in a store. I live in Tokyo and people are always looking at all of the devices when I go in there? So does that now counter what the OP wrote? No.

So what you're saying then you don't like the pointless posts of the OP so you're making pointless posts yourself?

Makes sense

Just a quick opinion they had, I've seen the same thing. But I'll be sure to make a long study out of it to make you happy. K?

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I see a need for a fixed desktop computer and a mobile or tablet device for portability. If anything phases out, it will be the laptop computer.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Desktops have been fading in popularity for years. Only Apple draws as much attention & sales as they do, due to their rather unique customers.

Don't get me wrong I'm not being critical, I've got thousands invested in my late model Mac Pro, and those that came before it.

That said my main computers of choice for the last several years have been MBP's. My lifestyle / work style is no longer static, therefore the ability to always have my laptop with me is essential.

While I have an iPad 4 and iPad mini, my work requires a full blown computer.

Apple's always had a very powerful marketing program. That & the late Steve Jobs were very influential. Whatever he promoted, people believed without question. Going forward it will be interesting to see how Apple competes on a more level playing field.

----------

I see a need for a fixed desktop computer and a mobile or tablet device for portability. If anything phases out, it will be the laptop computer.

Laptops have a long life ahead. It will be years before they're irrelevant.

naktak

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
So what you're saying then you don't like the pointless posts of the OP so you're making pointless posts yourself?

Makes sense

Just a quick opinion they had, I've seen the same thing. But I'll be sure to make a long study out of it to make you happy. K?

*facepalm* Try to read the "no" at the end of my post and check your logic.

And, yeah, please do that long study and see if it would change anything other than being a champion of the obvious *rolling eyes*

Last edited:

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
We have 5 Apple Stores local and all of the Best Buys that are local that I occasionally stop by all have mini Apple sections in them. No matter which Apple store or Best Buy people are ALWAYS crowded around the iPads.

At BestBuy, hardly anyone around any laptops, windows or Apple, a handful around the other array of tablets but the iPads just have this wow factor to people, like bugs flying around a bug zapper's bright light.:D

At the Apple Store, most of the time the people wanting the iMacs already have a good idea what they are about, they walk up to them use the touchpad for 2-3 minutes and find an associate to buy one and leave.

Its the price point, the mobility aspect and that people just are not as confined to the desktop as they once were, iPads are just priced much easier for the avg Joe to get than a 1500-2500 desktop.

xMClass

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
California
This is the case at my local Apple store. They only have one table for iMacs, multiple for all the different kinds of MacBooks. The tables with the most people have... you guessed it! iPads.

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
Since many here are presumably older, I wonder how many of the younger generations are likely to purchase a desktop versus a laptop. For instance, I'm in my early thirties and grew up with a desktop machine and have an iMac now. I have a (semi-functional) laptop now, but I'm used to the larger screen and power of a desktop and use that almost exclusively. The students I teach often use and only have a laptop for everything. How much of that carries over to when they get older should be interesting to see. There are plenty of people who buy a desktop-class machine for work/photo/video etc., but I'm gonna guess that most people aren't going to invest in a second machine when they already have and use a laptop...

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Since many here are presumably older, I wonder how many of the younger generations are likely to purchase a desktop versus a laptop.

I'm 17 and I've got a one of the new 27' models with a 680MX and a Fusion Drive, so I'm definitely on board :p I love my iPad, but I love desktops too. I use it for work and play, and I'm pretty dependent on it for anything serious.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Since many here are presumably older, I wonder how many of the younger generations are likely to purchase a desktop versus a laptop. For instance, I'm in my early thirties and grew up with a desktop machine and have an iMac now. I have a (semi-functional) laptop now, but I'm used to the larger screen and power of a desktop and use that almost exclusively. The students I teach often use and only have a laptop for everything. How much of that carries over to when they get older should be interesting to see. There are plenty of people who buy a desktop-class machine for work/photo/video etc., but I'm gonna guess that most people aren't going to invest in a second machine when they already have and use a laptop...

After using laptops for 8 years, I actually switched back to a desktop, the iMac. I didn't really need the mobility anymore, and even sold the iPad 2 after a year, since my iPhone fulfills all my mobile computing needs (which are obviously small). I really love this combination, as the desktop gives me incredible power and a gorgeous huge display. I might get an iPad or MacBook Air again for traveling at some point.

In general I don't think laptop or desktop is an age based decision. My parents both use laptops, while my younger brother uses a desktop PC (after using laptops for a couple of years). People buy their computers based on their needs from what I see

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
Makes sense to me. Apple does way more business in mobile than desktop market so it plays second fiddle. Sign of the times.

Was at Brea Mall today. 40-50 people playing on iPads/iPhones/Laptops combined. 3 people on iMacs. Boyfriend was showing off to his girlfriend how the screen/design was so thin.

Anecdotally, I did ask Apple manager how the iMacs where doing and he said they couldn't keep them in stock, they have been flying off the shelves. The only ones they have in stock are 2 maxed out 27". I was tempted to switch mine in but it's not worth the hassle.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
No..it was just a observation...maybe it's my location? just seemed strange that the two times I've been there,nobody was at the Imac at all...just kinda thought with the new design people would wanna check them out.

Out of the two times you were there, how long were you there, all day from open to close? I'm saying this because it could be serendipitous that you happened to be there during a time nobody was looking at them. You're drawing a very big conclusion. I live near 5 Apple retail stores and I frequent them often and I see people walking out with brand new iMacs every single time I've been there.
And to be honest about it, what's there to really look at in terms of the iMac? They've really looked the same since 2009 with the most recent one being made a bit thinner. Other than customers standing to them using them to surf on FB :rolleyes: people may not be swarming the stores in droves checking out the iMac because it's not really something new and futuristic to many people like say the iPad. After all, the iMac has been out since 1998. As I mentioned, I live near 5 Apple stores and I haven't even been to any one of them to check out the new iMac. Doesn't mean I'm not interested in the iMac, I have a late 2011 27" and love it.

Last edited:

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I walked past an apple store the other day and I think I saw somebody glance at a 27" iMac -- I might have been mistaken though as a hot girl was also in the vicinity and said glancer may have just been stealing a sneaky look.

As for the poster who hasn't found iMacs interesting since '06, thanks for sharing that vital piece of info with us. Nothing else you'd like to blurt out?

It's obvious that iMacs are no longer the flagship product for Apple but this new release is quite a dramatic change and shows apple still have a strong and vested interest in producing quality desktops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.