Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I am new to loading custom ROMs on a phone. I have been running a nightly version of Cyanogenmod lately and I see that there is a new nightly version.

Is it possible to update to the new nightly version without losing everything? Or am I forced to start from the beginning if I decide to update to the new nightly version?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I am new to loading custom ROMs on a phone. I have been running a nightly version of Cyanogenmod lately and I see that there is a new nightly version.

Is it possible to update to the new nightly version without losing everything? Or am I forced to start from the beginning if I decide to update to the new nightly version?

CM is awesome because they have their own built in updater which notifies you of knew builds and you can download them > press one button > it'll reboot into recovery and do all the work and no need to worry about flashing gapps or wiping cache/dalvik. Go into Settings > about phone and then CM updater. Change it to check for nightlies. I used to get up every morning and download and let it do it's thing on my S3 every morning before going to class.

This of course means you lose nothing. I wish all ROMs had something like it. If it didn't lack some of the nice features of AOKP I'd probably be on CM.

It's probably a good idea to keep make a new nandroid every now and then and delete any old ones of CM. Just in case but nothing will probably happen.

Edit: I should add that updating other ROMs is not harder than on CM, you just have to do everything manually by going into recovery mode > flash new build of ROM > flash gapps > wipe cache > wipe dalvik > reboot > nothing lost.

Last edited:

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
CM is awesome because they have their own built in updater which notifies you of knew builds and you can download them > press one button > it'll reboot into recovery and do all the work and no need to worry about flashing gapps or wiping cache/dalvik. Go into Settings > about phone and then CM updater. Change it to check for nightlies. I used to get up every morning and download and let it do it's thing on my S3 every morning before going to class.

This of course means you lose nothing. I wish all ROMs had something like it. If it didn't lack some of the nice features of AOKP I'd probably be on CM.

It's probably a good idea to keep make a new nandroid every now and then and delete any old ones of CM. Just in case but nothing will probably happen.

Edit: I should add that updating other ROMs is not harder than on CM, you just have to do everything manually by going into recovery mode > flash new build of ROM > flash gapps > wipe cache > wipe dalvik > reboot > nothing lost.

So downloading the new nightly update through the CyanogenMod Updates on the phone won't make me lose anything? I have all my apps backed up through titanium backup so its really not a huge deal. It is just annoying having to continually replace my apps on the home screen along with widgets.

Once titanium finishes its current backup, I'll do a complete backup through CWM just incase. Then I'll try updating.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
So downloading the new nightly update through the CyanogenMod Updates on the phone won't make me lose anything? I have all my apps backed up through titanium backup so its really not a huge deal. It is just annoying having to continually replace my apps on the home screen along with widgets.

Once titanium finishes its current backup, I'll do a complete backup through CWM just incase. Then I'll try updating.

Yeah you have nothing to worry about. You won't lose anything unless you do a wipe/factory reset which you only do when moving between ROMs or when the developer explicitly says so or if you're having weird unresolvable issues. The CM updater app only wipes cache/dalvik cache. Flashing nightlies is a breeze. The hardest part is the waiting for the download and then waiting for your phone to setup after rebooting. The whole process shouldn't take more than 10 minutes provided you have a decent internet connection.

That's another reason why I use Nova launcher. It lets you backup your setup including the widgets and you can restore it even after doing a wipe/factory reset because the backup file is on the sdcard. You won't need that for when you update CM nightlies though.

Edit: You should keep an eye out on titanium/nandroid backups because they're gonna start eating away at your storage in no time if you keep doing them. Always delete old backups if you're making new ones and you're sure you have no use for the old ones. Alternatively you can move them to your computer but I've never done that. Technically it should work if you put them back in the right place on the phone but like I said, I've never tried.

Last edited:

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Yeah you have nothing to worry about. You won't lose anything unless you do a wipe/factory reset which you only do when moving between ROMs or when the developer explicitly says so or if you're having weird unresolvable issues. The CM updater app only wipes cache/dalvik cache. Flashing nightlies is a breeze. The hardest part is the waiting for the download and then waiting for your phone to setup after rebooting. The whole process shouldn't take more than 10 minutes provided you have a decent internet connection.

That's another reason why I use Nova launcher. It lets you backup your setup including the widgets and you can restore it even after doing a wipe/factory reset because the backup file is on the sdcard. You won't need that for when you update CM nightlies though.

Edit: You should keep an eye out on titanium/nandroid backups because they're gonna start eating away at your storage in no time if you keep doing them. Always delete old backups if you're making new ones and you're sure you have no use for the old ones. Alternatively you can move them to your computer but I've never done that. Technically it should work if you put them back in the right place on the phone but like I said, I've never tried.

Ya it didn't take long at all. It was very quick and effortless.

Does using a third party launcher hurt battery life at all?

And I have been keeping an eye on my titanium backups. And I have 50 GB on box . net (which I never use) so I bought the full version and started backing them all up to box.

And lately I have not had to keep more than 1 nandroid backup.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Ya it didn't take long at all. It was very quick and effortless.

Does using a third party launcher hurt battery life at all?

And I have been keeping an eye on my titanium backups. And I have 50 GB on box . net (which I never use) so I bought the full version and started backing them all up to box.

And lately I have not had to keep more than 1 nandroid backup.

I don't really know if it does but I doubt it. You can try one of the free versions for a few days and judge for yourself.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I don't really know if it does but I doubt it. You can try one of the free versions for a few days and judge for yourself.

One thing I absolutely love now about Nova Launcher is I set up a swipe gesture where all I have to do is swipe up anywhere on the homescreen and Google Now will pop up and start listening right away.

I have criticized Google Now before because there was no easy way to start talking without having to look at the screen. And while this isn't a stock fix, it is extremely useful.

And thanks for all your help!!!

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
One thing I absolutely love now about Nova Launcher is I set up a swipe gesture where all I have to do is swipe up anywhere on the homescreen and Google Now will pop up and start listening right away.

I have criticized Google Now before because there was no easy way to start talking without having to look at the screen. And while this isn't a stock fix, it is extremely useful.

And thanks for all your help!!!

Yeah Nova is awesome, it's my favourite launcher.

No problem. Glad to see other people on MR rooting/using custom ROMs :p

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Just wanted to say that it's not a great idea to update to every nightly release of CM10. The nightlies are usually not stable, so you'll likely experience random crashes and reboots. I'd stick to the stable release (if there is one of your device) and only upgrade if you want to test features - then restore back to your nandroid of the stable release for daily use.

Other than that, welcome to the wonderful world of custom ROMs! I have CM10 running on my S3 and I love it.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Just wanted to say that it's not a great idea to update to every nightly release of CM10. The nightlies are usually not stable, so you'll likely experience random crashes and reboots. I'd stick to the stable release (if there is one of your device) and only upgrade if you want to test features - then restore back to your nandroid of the stable release for daily use.

Other than that, welcome to the wonderful world of custom ROMs! I have CM10 running on my S3 and I love it.

Never had any issues on my international S3 and people say on Nexus devices CM 10.1 is stable from day one because it's a Nexus.

I would think the CM team wouldn't make it so easy to update with every nightly if they were going to cause issues like that. I could be wrong.

I've only had my Nexus 4 reboot on it's own once the other day and I am pretty sure it was a kernel issue not due to the ROM I was using.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Never had any issues on my international S3 and people say on Nexus devices CM 10.1 is stable from day one because it's a Nexus.
That may well be the case for the Nexus devices. More problems are probably present on non-Google devices. I noticed after rechecking the list, there isn't a 'stable' version even listed for the N4 yet (I think this is because they were already working on 10.1 when the N4 came out).

I would think the CM team wouldn't make it so easy to update with every nightly if they were going to cause issues like that. I could be wrong.

I've only had my Nexus 4 reboot on it's own once the other day and I am pretty sure it was a kernel issue not due to the ROM I was using.
I've had a few issues on my S3 after updating to certain nightlies. Random reboots, freezes, lockups, etc. - nothing to utterly sour my experience or anything, just some slight annoyances. After going back to the stable version of 10.0, I've not experienced any major bugs.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
That may well be the case for the Nexus devices. More problems are probably present on non-Google devices. I noticed after rechecking the list, there isn't a 'stable' version even listed for the N4 yet (I think this is because they were already working on 10.1 when the N4 came out).

I've had a few issues on my S3 after updating to certain nightlies. Random reboots, freezes, lockups, etc. - nothing to utterly sour my experience or anything, just some slight annoyances. After going back to the stable version of 10.0, I've not experienced any major bugs.

You're right about non-Google devices. One issue that was never resolved with my S3 is that sometimes when you switch between front facing camera and the back one, you'd get an error saying the phone can't connect to the camera. Sometimes closing and opening the app fixed it and other times you had to reboot. That and also there was the black screen of death where your phones screen wouldn't turn on and you had to do a hard reboot. No very common but annoying.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

+1 for Nova Launcher

I loved it so much, I upgraded and paid for the Prime version right away. I was looking for something similar to Activator in cydia for the iPhone and this is pretty close. Google Now, Voice Search, S Voice, Camera, etc are all one swipe away. Love how you can create shortcuts for the apps in the dock as well by swiping up.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
+1 for Nova Launcher

I loved it so much, I upgraded and paid for the Prime version right away. I was looking for something similar to Activator in cydia for the iPhone and this is pretty close. Google Now, Voice Search, S Voice, Camera, etc are all one swipe away. Love how you can create shortcuts for the apps in the dock as well by swiping up.

Check out GMD gesture control. You need to be rooted though.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012

Titanium backup should really be used to revert back to an apps previius version. Using it as a primary backup is a waste of memory. CWM is much better for a few reasons. It is a snap shot of your entire system, not just certain apps. It can auto-back itself up and you can now either download a copy from the web via CWM server to any computer, tablet or phone anywhere or you can save your CWM bwckups to your ext sd card, or an external usb drive if you want.

As for having to reload data when updating a ROM, you only have to do this if there is a file management change (like from 4.1.x to 4.2.x), if you switch ROMs or you root and flash a ROM for the first time. If a ROM developer tells you to reload your apps with every update, you don't want that ROM.

By the way, did Wugs Toolkit help your other issue out?

Last edited:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Titanium backup should really be used to revert back to an apps previius version. Using it as a primary backup is a waste of memory. CWM is much better for a few reasons. It is a snap shot of your entire system, not just certain apps. It can auto-back itself up and you can now either download a copy from the web via CWM server to any computer, tablet or phone anywhere or you can save your CWM bwckups to your ext sd card, or an external usb drive if you want.

I switch between ROMs frequently which is why I use Titanium to backup the apps and restore them between these ROMs. He already said he backs up his to Box so it shouldn't be taking up any space on his device. I should actually start doing that too since I have 50GB that I never use.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas

As for having to reload data when updating a ROM, you only have to do this if there is a file management change (like from 4.1.x to 4.2.x), if you switch ROMs or you root and flash a ROM for the first time. If a ROM developer tells you to reload your apps with every update, you don't want that ROM.

By the way, did Wugs Toolkit help your other issue out?

Like 3bs already said, for switching ROMs Titanium Backup is great. Even when I first got my phone and originally set it up as stock (before it broke), and then decided to be more adventurous with the phone, Titanium Backup was very helpful.

And going from stock to CyanogenMod, a nandroid backup would be kind of pointless. But Titanium Backup will bring over all apps and their respective data perfectly.

And remind me, which problem are you thinking of? I have had a few that I needed help with and posted on here for.

I switch between ROMs frequently which is why I use Titanium to backup the apps and restore them between these ROMs. He already said he backs up his to Box so it shouldn't be taking up any space on his device. I should actually start doing that too since I have 50GB that I never use.

Did you get 50GB through the LG deal or from setting it up on an iOS device? I got mine when Box offered the 50GB when signing up on an iOS device. But I also read that there is a deal with LG to give 50GB to people with LG phones. Unfortunately, I was not able to get an additional 50GB :(

And I really with I could backup my nandroid backups to Box, that would be awesome just to have them somewhere else as well.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Like 3bs already said, for switching ROMs Titanium Backup is great. Even when I first got my phone and originally set it up as stock (before it broke), and then decided to be more adventurous with the phone, Titanium Backup was very helpful.

And going from stock to CyanogenMod, a nandroid backup would be kind of pointless. But Titanium Backup will bring over all apps and their respective data perfectly.

And remind me, which problem are you thinking of? I have had a few that I needed help with and posted on here for.

Did you get 50GB through the LG deal or from setting it up on an iOS device? I got mine when Box offered the 50GB when signing up on an iOS device. But I also read that there is a deal with LG to give 50GB to people with LG phones. Unfortunately, I was not able to get an additional 50GB :(

And I really with I could backup my nandroid backups to Box, that would be awesome just to have them somewhere else as well.

I can't remember but it could have been the same as you when I got it from my iPhone. 50GB is a lot and I actually never used Box :p

I also have 58GB on Dropbox thanks to the 50GB I got for my S3. I can't remember if that lasts 1 or 2 years though.

You can always drag and drop them onto your computer but cloud storage would be more convenient and safer.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I can't remember but it could have been the same as you when I got it from my iPhone. 50GB is a lot and I actually never used Box :p

I also have 58GB on Dropbox thanks to the 50GB I got for my S3. I can't remember if that lasts 1 or 2 years though.

You can always drag and drop them onto your computer but cloud storage would be more convenient and safer.

That lasts two years.

And that reminds me, a few weeks ago I got the free 50GB too. I found a way to get it on any phone and just posted the link in its own thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.