Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How would you change iOS?

• Gut it. Start over.

Votes: 66 21.6%
  • Slight update. Maybe live icons and widgets.

Votes: 186 61.0%
  • Leave it alone. It just works and can stay the same forever.

Votes: 53 17.4%

• Total voters

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Correction: most geeks think iOS is stale. Apple doesn't cater to geeks, thats Google's job.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Its not stale if it works. It works perfectly for me. People are stale if they get bored with perfection.

iOS is perfect but it was created by an imperfect company?

nice logic you got there. lol

----------

Apple doesn't need to trash the current iOS, but they need to go out of their "boundaries".

They're too afraid to try new things (iOS 6) or are way to confident in their abilities (Maps).

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Seems most people here agree that the iPhone's OS is stale and needs an update. What do you choose?

It's fine for me. It's a tool that I use and I don't alway like major wholesale changes in an interface that I am used to. It's like the Control Panel on Windows XP vs Vista, 7, & 8. I am still trying to get used to the newer Control Panel on Windows after XP.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it too much at once.

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
iOS is fine to me, maybe slight upgrade. Just to continue to make it better faster and efficient. Widgets take a lot of resources, not sure if I would like that. Maybe re-skin the OS to make it more modern.

arc123

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012
I can see good reason to think about how to evolve iOS as, for the most part, it hasn't changed a whole lot in a long time. On the other hand, I'm not sure what could realistically be done without major changes to the UI. Outside of the Maps blunder, version 6 is really an exceptionally developed form of the iOS ethos. Major changes would seem to require changes to that ethos, and ensuing shifts in the fundamental operational design. Are people really prepared for that? I'm not sure. Historically, most people aren't, and many companies that ignore this fact tend to endure anywhere from unabiding criticism to outright customer revolt (Windows 8 being a notable recent example).

I think Apple has the resources and institutional know-how to craft another OS, but I'm less sure their customers would demand it in retrospect, having been presented with the results.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
iOS has been designed to provide a stable, secure, battery efficient and closed experience. Android has essentially the opposite philosophy and as a result their devices need to have more powerful CPUs, double the RAM and larger batteries just to come close (arguable if they are). Its a trade off: a simple efficient OS that does what you need it to or a highly customizable OS with occasional stability/performance/battery life issues. Also unlike Google, Apple strive to ensure that iOS is compatible with as many earlier devices as possible.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Doesn't need gutting.

Live tiles would be a nice start as would removing the skeuomorphism.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Functionally it's perfect just some minor improvements like live tiles would be nice. But visually we need some major change or some kind of skinning support. This blue mess is just foul to my eyes.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
They should do what Google did with android 4.0 vs 2.3. Android 4 was a huge overhaul of literally the entire OS and introduced a beautiful new interface called holo which in my opinion is much better looking than the horrible skin that ios has at the moment with all the baby blue, pinstriping and glossy blue and bubbles. Its looks really tacky and distracting. The other thing that android 4 has is the skinning is pretty much unified across the entire OS. IOS unfortunately has had some core apps updated with new skinning and others remained on the old skins. IOS really needs an android 4.0 level overhaul and needs better multitasking. At a minimum they need to add a swipe gesture instead of the horrible hard to hit red x's to close apps.

compare this.
[url=http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/837/screenshot2013010513432.png]Image[/URL]

to this

The Apple Messages app looks so wrong. When I saw it used in a movie, it looked so out of place compared to all the modern cars and TVs shown.

Mechinyun

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
It does need an overhaul. Not ground up mind you, but a big big update.

Same way cars get minor refreshes every few years then a big total redesign. I can tell you - it takes a hell of a lot more time and effort to make a totally new car than to update a mobile operating system such as apples with the controlled hardware.

Same way most operating systems get a pretty big radical updates every few years.

Else you would be wearing clothes from 50 years ago, driving a car from 20 years ago and still running OS 1.0 on your mac.

It was inevitable with google and samsung foaming at the mouth to win the mobile war.

Year after year they keep making BIG changes, steadily getting better and better.

Meanwhile, apple was is the fat and lazy king, too busy swimming in it's big pile of money to seemingly care. "here throw out some IOS scraps for the peasants - like passbook etc"...

IOS has gotten stale and as of right now Google and Samsung have taken the lead.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Seems most people here agree that the iPhone's OS is stale and needs an update. What do you choose?

Loaded poll is loaded.

iOS does not need to be gutted and start over to make drastic changes.

the core of it has a lot in common with OS X, and is derived from the same original code-base - yet they are very different UI wise. .

that said, iOS is the way it is by CHOICES apple has made. If you don't agree with those choices, then you should migrate to something else.

It isn't that iOS couldn't be extended to do a heap of stuff, apple has made the choice not to do so. I don't see that changing for a lot of things. OS X has been out for 10+ years now and you can't really customise the UI without hacking it with third party software. This is by design, so that OS X desktops are consistent with each other. Same for iOS...

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
The incessant need of some people to compare iOS to Android is futile. Nor does it make any sense to use iOS to bash Android. We're talking about the state of iOS in this thread.

I think a refresh & continued refinement of iOS is sufficient. Apples done a good job thus far, and simply need to continue with the improvements.

In addition I'd like to see better debugging done before its public release. Little things like that make a big difference. Apple is not known as a company that stands still. I'm sure they will get back on track now that some of the legal battles they've started are beginning to subside.

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
For me. I think apple has a lot to prove with iOS 7. 6 was the least improved update I can remember. Android is passing iOS in a lot of areas (though iOS is better in other areas). I love my iPhone just calling it as it is. I hope the iPhone can continue to be innovative and groundbreaking without Steve Jobs.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan

Seems to me you're making a bit of assumption stating that. If they make an overhaul, I'd be hesitant to update. I bought an iPhone for what iOS is now. I hope they keep it mostly the same in future updates.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
I think it's fascinating to see that there are actually people who are not ashamed to admit in public that the white-on-black, flat and unrefined Android UI looks better than iOS to their eyes.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Your choices aren't complete and only push what ever agenda you have.

You don't have to gut it to "fix" it, you don't have to leave it the same forever.

You will never make every one happy with anything, someone will always have an issue with something and whine and cry about it. Fact of life.

Spoken like a true isheep.

People like you make me want to punch someone in the face. He likes it so he's a sheep? It's perfect for him/her so their a sheep? Get over yourself ffs. We all have different likes/dislikes, needs, wants, ect ect. Just because someone is very happy with something and you're not, that doesn't make the sheep.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I don't think it needs significantly overhauling, just improving in some key areas.

1) I think Android handles sharing better and iOS should work similarly, I.e. where any service can hook into the sharing API.
2) The built in apps should be modular, removable and updated independently of the OS.

I think iOS does multitasking and notifications better when you consider benefit to battery life ratio. Androids multitasking is more powerful, but you have to mess around figuring out which wake locks are draining your battery and it's such a ballache. iOS' multitasking has never let me down and battery life is so much better.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002

I never quite understood this perspective. No one complained about the Desktop UI metaphor needing to be thrown out a few years after it was popularized in the 1980's. It was accessible, powerful, and easily understood. Perfect? No. But damned good.

Why now, do we expect revolutionary technology on a yearly basis? One would think this constant change would be quite detrimental to the majority of non-techy consumers.

Don't get me wrong, I love it when Apple shocks the industry and we go through the predictable cycle of media/fanboy dismissal followed by the rest of the industry unabashedly following suit.

But this doesn't and shouldn't happen constantly, IMHO.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Some are unhappy and want a more open and Android-like experience

If one wants an Android like experience than the solution is simple: Move to Android :)

One shouldn't buy a device and expect it to change for everyone just to suit their own desires.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Loaded poll is loaded.

iOS does not need to be gutted and start over to make drastic changes.

the core of it has a lot in common with OS X, and is derived from the same original code-base - yet they are very different UI wise. .

that said, iOS is the way it is by CHOICES apple has made. If you don't agree with those choices, then you should migrate to something else.

It isn't that iOS couldn't be extended to do a heap of stuff, apple has made the choice not to do so. I don't see that changing for a lot of things. OS X has been out for 10+ years now and you can't really customise the UI without hacking it with third party software. This is by design, so that OS X desktops are consistent with each other. Same for iOS...
I don't know: one choice to gut (not needed IMO), one choice to update and one choice to leave it alone. Are you angry about being given a choice at all?

If anything the poll seems slanted to leave the OS mostly the same.

I'd vote for themes if it was on the list.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
How anyone can claim iOS is perfect is beyond me

So frustratingly basic, yet doing basic tasks is frustratingly looooong

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.