Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rcr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Bristol
My mid 2011 27" iMac goes into the Apple store today. Seems it could not handle the game guildwars 2.

Whilst gaming yesterday the computer froze up in a pink and yellow vertical lined screen. Now anything graphics intensive including watching a dvd kills the screen, makes it go different coloured lines, and makes the computer unresponsive (if for example I'm watching a film, I can hear it still playing in the background). I must then power off computer, sometimes power button works, other times I simply have to use mains plug! Before the freeze sometimes the screen breaks up as I have seen previously when a graphics card went on a past PC.

I didn't expect such a problem with the iMac. I have the 2GB HD 6970M and thought it would handle gaming okay. Hopefully Apple care fix/replace it with no further issues.

Has anyone else had problems through gaming on an iMac? I know it's possible it was a weak gfx card and just my luck. Or that something else is wrong. We shall see.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Symptoms for graphics card burnt out are graphic glitches which cause a force restart. Apple replaced if in warranty

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.