Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
Where in settings can I set different colors for different notifications , I could've sworn i've done it before without downloading light flow, but Cant figure it out at all now

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Where in settings can I set different colors for different notifications , I could've sworn i've done it before without downloading light flow, but Cant figure it out at all now

I don't think you can in the phones settings unless you're using a custom ROM. Some apps might let you change it in their own settings.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Just wanted to share pictures of the case i got, looks good and it doest feel bulky btw no more phone slide :eek:

Are you in a line of work that requires heavy duty protection for your phone? I only ask because that case is massive. I certain understand everyone is entitle to their own personal taste and if you like the look, terrific.

I personally find this case tragic--hiding such a beautiful design under huge amounts of plastic.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I've reclaimed the space used by the soft buttons using Button Saviour Pro and AOKP.

nexus42013.png
nexus4nen.png
nexus4mwm.png

Much better. Done the same with my nexus 7. :) Full screen games too.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I've reclaimed the space used by the soft buttons using Button Saviour Pro and AOKP.
Yea I do the same with Hide Bar and GMD Gesture control--thought not so much the latter anymore as inadvertently triggering a gesture was getting to be a pain so I disabled most.

It's nice having use of the entire screen.

EDIT: On no it is NOT the same. I see you still retained the status bar which is also hidden with Hide Bar and GMD Gesture control. Was that done with AOKP? (Not that I know what AOKP is.)

Michael

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Yea I do the same with Hide Bar and GMD Gesture control--thought not so much the latter anymore as inadvertently triggering a gesture was getting to be a pain so I disabled most.

EDIT: On no it is NOT the same. I see you still retained the status bar which is also hidden with Hide Bar and GMD Gesture control. Was that done with AOKP? (Not that I know what AOKP is.)

Michael
With AOKP you can resize the soft buttons to zero but still keep the notification bar. I tried the same on CM 10.1 and the launcher dock went a little funny. With Button Saviour Pro, I just tap the little arrow on the left hand side and the soft buttons overlay from the side. Works really well for me. :)

----------

Welcome to the AOKP bandwagon :D

It ain't bad at all so far. Really good for such an early build. :D

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

Michael

The great thing about custom ROMs that have an "expanded desktop" feature is that it's added to your power menu (accessed by holding the power button) and then you just pick it and it hides both status bar and nav bar so no accidental triggers.

----------

It ain't bad at all so far. Really good for such an early build. :D

Have you tried any other ROMs? I prefer the keyboard in CM10.1 which has shortcuts (press and hold button) for all buttons. It lacks the arrow keys that pop up in the nav bar to move the cursor whenever there's a keyboard though. That's much more convenient then having to use the volume buttons to move the cursor. I also really miss the Power Widget which has the toggles in the main notification area. I know there are alternatives like Power Toggles but with CM10.1 there's a working sound+vibrate/sound/vibrate/silent toggle. With Power Toggles it says sound+vibrate is on but I only get sound. It's a small thing but I really miss it :p

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Yeah I think so. I still haven't gotten anything near him so I don't know what he's doing.

I haven't gotten anywhere near that either--and I configured it just as he said he had it.

Michael

----------

With AOKP you can resize the soft buttons to zero but still keep the notification bar. I tried the same on CM 10.1 and the launcher dock went a little funny. With Button Saviour Pro, I just tap the little arrow on the left hand side and the soft buttons overlay from the side. Works really well for me. :)
Sounds nice.

One thing, can you easily toggle the nav buttons back on if you want?

Mike

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Might I as what a nandroid is? That would be great if I could run it to try it out first.

Michael

I keep forgetting if you've flashed a custom recovery on your phone or just booted into it. You'll need a custom recovery (either TWRP or CWM). Reboot into recovery mode and backup (backups are called nandroids). After that you can flash any ROM or other modifications and if you don't like them you can go back to your nandroid which is a backup of your whole system. They take up space (mine are around 1-1.5GB I think) so don't make too many and delete old ones or transfer to your computer.

How to flash custom recovery: In troubleshooting section http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-4-rooting-roms-hacks/224861-guide-nexus-4-unlock-root.html

If you're already rooted, just install Goo manager from the Play Store > open it > press menu > Install OpenRecoveryScript and let it do it's thing.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I keep forgetting if you've flashed a custom recovery on your phone or just booted into it. You'll need a custom recovery (either TWRP or CWM). Reboot into recovery mode and backup (backups are called nandroids). After that you can flash any ROM or other modifications and if you don't like them you can go back to your nandroid which is a backup of your whole system. They take up space (mine are around 1-1.5GB I think) so don't make too many and delete old ones or transfer to your computer.

How to flash custom recovery: In troubleshooting section http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-4-rooting-roms-hacks/224861-guide-nexus-4-unlock-root.html

If you're already rooted, just install Goo manager from the Play Store > open it > press menu > Install OpenRecoveryScript and let it do it's thing.
Yes I just have been booting into it with TWRP.

I'm gonna try making the backup and give it go!

Michael

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Well looks like something has gone wrong. I attempted to boot into fastboot mode and it failed with the android icon screen. Now when I attempt to reboot normally it is stuck at the glowing X. I can't look at or change files as Android File Transfer will not connect as it is locked with a PIN.

So far it has been sitting at the glowing X for about 5 minutes or so.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Okay it is back to life. It came back on with "Android is upgrading..." I usually get that message after updating the faux kernal which I did not do just now. All I did was try to boot with TWRP recovery.

EDIT 2: It is now stuck at "Android is upgrading" and has been "Starting apps" for some time. I don't know what happened but it looks like something is awry.

Michael

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Well it looks like my Nexus 4 is going to need a factory reset. It will not go past Starting Apps. Ugh.

Interesting... When I did the factory reset and signed in to my N4 again there were Google Play updates. To my surprise it is downloading all of my apps that I got through the play store. That is pretty cool. I thought we needed an app or something to backup and restore installed apps.

Michael

Last edited:

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
I'm an iPhone 5 user but very curious about the N4 and Jelly Bean. I've read through a ton of the pages here (not all 42 though!) and I'd love to have one of these to play with - it looks sweet. Couple of questions:

1. I used Android up to 2.2. I've seen the latest vids - but overall, is Jelly Bean and Project Butter living up to the hype? My old Droid was super laggy on 2.2. The vids I've seen of JB look smooth.

2. What about Google Now? It looks pretty awesome to me. Hoping it comes to Chrome so that I can use it on my iP5. Do you find it useful?

Cheers all. I could probably afford a N4 to play around with but I am really kinda worried I wouldn't be able to put it down, but I'd feel stupid since I'm pretty well entrenched in Apple/iOS otherwise.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I'm an iPhone 5 user but very curious about the N4 and Jelly Bean. I've read through a ton of the pages here (not all 42 though!) and I'd love to have one of these to play with - it looks sweet. Couple of questions:

1. I used Android up to 2.2. I've seen the latest vids - but overall, is Jelly Bean and Project Butter living up to the hype? My old Droid was super laggy on 2.2. The vids I've seen of JB look smooth.

2. What about Google Now? It looks pretty awesome to me. Hoping it comes to Chrome so that I can use it on my iP5. Do you find it useful?

Cheers all. I could probably afford a N4 to play around with but I am really kinda worried I wouldn't be able to put it down, but I'd feel stupid since I'm pretty well entrenched in Apple/iOS otherwise.

I'm in a very similar boat - I'm looking to get an N4 to use as my work phone (replace my iPhone 4S). I'd still have my iP5 as my daily driver....I can't bring myself to get rid of it since I really do like it and I'm heavily entrenched in iOS (as you can see below)

I used JB (at the time was on 4.1 I believe) on a Nexus 7 and it was plenty smooth. Had issues with app crashes but that happens regardless of the platform. There were some things that took getting used to, things I liked and things I didn't. Overall the lack of tablet optimized apps caused me to see the N7 but I feel with a phone (like the N4) I'd be able to experience where Android is currently shining (NFC and mobile payments are much more useful on a pocketable device).

I'm actually pretty excited, and while I don't foresee ever leaving the Apple camp for good, I definitely can see being a dual user.

The Simpleton

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
I'm in a similar position to others. I have brought in to iOS too much, and am now hesitant to leave.

I have played with the Nexus 4 but I am about to purchase and for some reason stop and think about it some more.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

You can use some of the Google Now search stuff with the search app on iOS. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2ZUSPecPRk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The rest of what Google Now does with calendar integration and location based info is incredible.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
You can use some of the Google Now search stuff with the search app on iOS. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2ZUSPecPRk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The rest of what Google Now does with calendar integration and location based info is incredible.

Yeah I have been using the Google Search app a lot lately. It's super quick, Google has done a great job on their iOS apps for sure. I also want to try out their "Field Trip" app.

The calendar integration and location based info is what gets me - dying to try it out in person. And NFC/Google Wallet.

Jealous. :)

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Greetings fellow Tampanian (is that what we're called :confused:).

I was in the same boat as you about 6 months ago and now use both Android and iOS (iP5 and Nexus 4 for phones). My intention was to ultimately sell one but I'm having a hard time letting go of either. Too make things worse, now I'd like to get my hands on a Galaxy Note II and give that a try. My wife says I have problems, and she's probably right :rolleyes:.

First off, the Nexus is a beautiful device, very solid feel and build materials are great. That being said, hardware cons are a subpar camera, a delicate back panel (glass supposedly scratches/breaks easily), lack of LTE, and terrible battery life--although this last issue supposedly is correctable via software. Regardless of the cause, I'm finding it significantly worse than my iP5.

On the software side, I admittedly had very little exposure to Android prior to ICS but JB is very smooth, really on par with iOS for the most part (I still have occasional lag but it's really subtle). My hesitation for moving to Android mostly had to do with my immersion in the Apple ecosystem but except for iMessage and AirPlay (Android third party solutions are inferior, IMO) it really isn't much of an issue any longer. There are third party apps that allow for iCloud integration of contacts and calendar that work really well and for the most part, app quality is good if not quite equal to iOS. The added capabilities of Android are what really set it apart.

Google Now really is pretty cool but I don't use it actively as it supposedly adds to battery drain that I can't afford on my Nexus 4 and many of the features are lost on me (travel, public transit, places, stocks, photo spots, research topics, etc). Voice dictation is more accurate than Siri but some of the things I like about and use Siri for are inferior--reminders, text messages, as examples. Overall though Google Now is a powerful tool that is much more capable than Siri.

I really like my N4 and if it had better battery life, improved camera and LTE my decision would be an easy one. Problem is, those issues, especially the camera and battery are significant enough to give me pause about switching permanently. I'm looking into a Note II because while I would lose immediate updates to vanilla Android (which I value highly), it would address all of these issues. And if I find one and like it, I'll sell you my N4 if you like. ;)

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Greetings fellow Tampanian (is that what we're called :confused:).

I was in the same boat as you about 6 months ago and now use both Android and iOS (iP5 and Nexus 4 for phones). My intention was to ultimately sell one but I'm having a hard time letting go of either. Too make things worse, now I'd like to get my hands on a Galaxy Note II and give that a try. My wife says I have problems, and she's probably right :rolleyes:.

First off, the Nexus is a beautiful device, very solid feel and build materials are great. That being said, hardware cons are a subpar camera, a delicate back panel (glass supposedly scratches/breaks easily), lack of LTE, and terrible battery life--although this last issue supposedly is correctable via software. Regardless of the cause, I'm finding it significantly worse than my iP5.

On the software side, I admittedly had very little exposure to Android prior to ICS but JB is very smooth, really on par with iOS for the most part (I still have occasional lag but it's really subtle). My hesitation for moving to Android mostly had to do with my immersion in the Apple ecosystem but except for iMessage and AirPlay (Android third party solutions are inferior, IMO) it really isn't much of an issue any longer. There are third party apps that allow for iCloud integration of contacts and calendar that work really well and for the most part, app quality is good if not quite equal to iOS. The added capabilities of Android are what really set it apart.

Google Now really is pretty cool but I don't use it actively as it supposedly adds to battery drain that I can't afford on my Nexus 4 and many of the features are lost on me (travel, public transit, places, stocks, photo spots, research topics, etc). Voice dictation is more accurate than Siri but some of the things I like about and use Siri for are inferior--reminders, text messages, as examples. Overall though Google Now is a powerful tool that is much more capable than Siri.

I really like my N4 and if it had better battery life, improved camera and LTE my decision would be an easy one. Problem is, those issues, especially the camera and battery are significant enough to give me pause about switching permanently. I'm looking into a Note II because while I would lose immediate updates to vanilla Android (which I value highly), it would address all of these issues. And if I find one and like it, I'll sell you my N4 if you like. ;)

Hey! Another Tampanite. Or Tampanian, as you said :)

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm afraid I'm going to have to take the plunge and get a N4 to try out. Like you/your wife, my wife will say I have a problem - especially since I bashed Android for quite awhile. :rolleyes:

I haven't considered the Note 2. I thought about an GS3, just to get the experience of Jelly Bean, but I prefer a vanilla experience, like you said. I want pure Jelly Bean to try out. Thought about the Nexus 7 but as I want to try NFC, that won't work. Can you imagine me trying to use a tablet at 7-11?

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.