Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Hello All,:confused::confused::confused::confused:

i am very new to my new iMAC and Mac Os. till now i was using windows. in windows i was using Nuance Omni professional 17 , to scan my all docs. using canon MF 4370dn printer.

Almost for everything i have found substitute on MAC except this.
Can anybody please guide me to the right direction ???

i usually scan few documents everyday... is there a way to scan multiple documents ? using my canon MF printer's Doc. Feeder ??

Or any other way !!

Please.. thanks..:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

gc916

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
This article details the steps necessary to scan documents using the built-in Mac OS X scanning software. I suggest checking the list of supported scanners via the link near the top of the article. You might need to download the drivers from Canon's website.

Good luck.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
To be honest Canon's Mac Support for its scanners is notoriously bad, particularly for a model that is a few years old. My advice is forget the Printer and buy a Fujitsu ScanSnap - they are excellent Mac document scanners and very good for a paperless workflow. I know you want to find a solution for your Canon, but given that you want to scan everyday I am sure the ScanSnap is a much better solution.

There was a thread from 2009 with the same problem, but it looks like the functionality was pretty poor.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
To be honest Canon's Mac Support for its scanners is notoriously bad, particularly for a model that is a few years old. My advice is forget the Printer and buy a Fujitsu ScanSnap - they are excellent Mac document scanners and very good for a paperless workflow. I know you want to find a solution for your Canon, but given that you want to scan everyday I am sure the ScanSnap is a much better solution.

There was a thread from 2009 with the same problem, but it looks like the functionality was pretty poor.

Thanks,
But this Fujitsu is bit expensive.. i think, i will use windows in VM ware to scan...windows takes care of canon nicely....

thanks.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks,
But this Fujitsu is bit expensive.. i think, i will use windows in VM ware to scan...windows takes care of canon nicely....

thanks.

Using a sheet scanner on a flatbed or all-in-one is an exercise in frustration... and there a very high probablity you will give it up. The tools are just not up for the job.

The Fujitsu is not cheap... but it is the right tool for the job. Search here and you will see plenty of discussion.

You really need full duplex scanning. It is used on virtually every scan. You need OCR if you are going to ever find your data again. You need the jamb detect. Nice features are automatic rotation, automatic alignment, etc.

BTW: The quote above about people giving up from frustration was lifted off of recent book I read about going paperless. He said it more eloquently... and with more authority than is possible for me. He listed a few sheet scanners that might work... but he basically said to just buy the Fujitsu.

/Jim

Last edited:

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Thanks,

thanks.

Fair enough, Windows in a VM should work, but if you are scanning every day then trust me you will love a ScanSnap, but I understand if it is more money than you want to spend right now.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Thanks,

thanks.

This is unfortunately what I have to do with my HP Laserjet 3390 as it works perfectly under a Windows VM but is no go under OS X...were I not using a Windows VM for other prposes I would be happy with this work-around but as it is, I can live with it...

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Hello All,:confused::confused::confused::confused:

i am very new to my new iMAC and Mac Os. till now i was using windows. in windows i was using Nuance Omni professional 17 , to scan my all docs. using canon MF 4370dn printer.

Almost for everything i have found substitute on MAC except this.
Can anybody please guide me to the right direction ???

i usually scan few documents everyday... is there a way to scan multiple documents ? using my canon MF printer's Doc. Feeder ??

Or any other way !!

Please.. thanks..:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

VueScan - simply the best Mac scanner utility.

http://www.hamrick.com

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
The only issue with VueScan is that its compatibility list is dated...it states that it is compatible with my LaserJet 3390 but it is not...and I tried and I tried and I tried to get it to work in OS X but was never able to do so [at least over an Ethernet connection]...

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
VueScan - simply the best Mac scanner utility.

http://www.hamrick.com

Agree that VueScan is fantastic. Without it... my $1500 slide/negative scanner would have been useless.

The only issue with VueScan is that its compatibility list is dated...it states that it is compatible with my LaserJet 3390 but it is not...and I tried and I tried and I tried to get it to work in OS X but was never able to do so [at least over an Ethernet connection]...

It is free to test your equipment... and Ed Hamrick updates very frequently. Send him an email and your issues will probably be fixed very quickly.

/Jim

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

Network scanning may be the issue - my experience is OSX does not play nice with network scanners; probably due to driver issues. My canon, for example works fine via USB but not if I try to network it.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Network scanning may be the issue - my experience is OSX does not play nice with network scanners; probably due to driver issues. My canon, for example works fine via USB but not if I try to network it.

Agreed noting the following:

1. I eventually installed Parallels to run a number of critical applications with scanning being one of them as I have adopted an essentially paperless "home office" and scan documents, invoices, etc. on a regular bases so this was a key consideration for me.

2. The problem -- I think -- has to so with how the OS X drivers "interact" with the OS...there are two multi-function printers in my house namely an HP 3390 and an HP CM1415fnm both of which are connected via Ethernet..though the HP 3390 does NOT show up as a scanner the HP 1415 does. show up as a scanner...

Joel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.