Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I know this site doesn't do endorsed articles, or so i'm told, but this sure looks a lot like one.

Well I'd say they do endorsed articles, but don't call them such. I've seen many articles here that are pretty much advertising a product or an app.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I thought this article was annoyingly useless as it did not provide any details of how much charge this magic juice thing actually manages. So I went to the website and the reason became clear. Mobee doesn't either. Hmmmm.

The most likely situation you would want to use this is a camping trip. Then two charges may not be enough. There are plenty of higher capacity chargers around at a much lower price. Clearly you are paying for the wireless charging. Considering how often the magic juice would be used (not often), what is the point of wasting resources on that?

That said, the wireless magic charger for the Apple Magic Mouse looks very, very cool.

Edit: on second thought, you need to plug the charging station with a cable into a USB port. The whole idea of a wireless mouse, trackpad and keyboard is to not have cable clutter. What is the point?

Last edited:

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Magic Link is pretty worthless. Monitoring the power consumption of an iPhone after charging, it takes more than 2 weeks to register even 0.01Kwh. You'd have to leave your phone plugged in for years and years to recoup the cost of that cable.

When a phone isn't plugged into your standard Apple charger, it consumes nothing. At least nothing registered after 2 months of leaving one plugged into a Kill-A-Watt meaning if it is using power, you're talking about less than 0.00Kwh in 2 months.

That's a tremendous little measurement/observation you made. It makes me think that the kill-a-watt people should have a blog of their own where they look at both improvements found through their device and total nonsensical "green" claims that some companies (like Mobee) are making.

Have you ever known of a complex charging cable?

A simple charging cable is one that only charges the device.

A new security risk: power sources in public places posing as a "simple" charger that attempt to make a data connection to the device.

I know this site doesn't do endorsed articles, or so i'm told, but this sure looks a lot like one.

I think I'll ask about this article in the feedback forum...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.