Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
What Televisions do you guys own that is LED.
Brand?
How do you like it 1-10?
I will be giving my mom my 42 3D LCD, so I'm looking to upgrade say 50+ inches, doesn't have to be smart as I have a google tv box and Apple TV. Also I would like for it to be 3D and under 1500. Thank you guys in advance

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I just got this and it looks great.

Samsung UE40ES6540 LED HD 1080p 3D Smart TV, 40 Inch with Freesat/Freeview HD & 2x 3D Glasses

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 368

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I have a 52" Sharp Aquos Quattron LED and I absolutely love it. The overall quality is so much higher than so many other televisions I've seen. Bought it roughly 18 months ago on sale for $1499 from $1899, I'm sure it's quite a bit cheaper by now. The one piece glass front over the frame and screen is beautiful. I'd give it a 9. The only thing that irritates me is that I have to delve into the menus to initiate audio only (screen off) mode and wish there was just a button on the remote to carry out the function.

Edit: Didn't fully read the title. This TV is not 3D as I have no interest in them. :eek:

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I don't think there is a best 3D TV, it's a gimmick, save your money.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
Nothing like plasma. Best plasma manufacturer is Panasonic. You need depth of black colour and realistic white to feel like in the cinema. Plasma can give you that. LED is just another LCD with different lightening. I studied topic for weeks before upgrading reading and talking to experts so I know what I am saying now. I recommend Full HD Smart TV plasma with active glasses. Nothing come close.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I have a Samsung 55" D8000 in my living room and love it. I don't necessarily think there is a best tv, but there are a few reasons I got this. If you have a lot of digital video files that you want to view on your tv Samsung and Sharp I believe are the only 2 that allow you to do that. Vizio doesn't even support video files via usb and LG has troubles with some audio codecs. I have never tried a Sony with all the various media files though. I have a 8TB media drive plugged in directly to my tv and it plays back everything including 3D.

If that is not important to you, I would also suggest one of the LG series tvs. The picture is very good and the price is very reasonable. The big thing about 3D is if you want passive or active 3D. Passive is like in theaters, and active requires glasses with batteries. LG, Vizio, and Toshiba use passive and Sony, Sharp, Samsung, Panasonic use active.

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
Nothing like plasma. Best plasma manufacturer is Panasonic. You need depth of black colour and realistic white to feel like in the cinema. Plasma can give you that. LED is just another LCD with different lightening. I studied topic for weeks before upgrading reading and talking to experts so I know what I am saying now. I recommend Full HD Smart TV plasma with active glasses. Nothing come close.

Panasonic is a great plasma, but Pioneer Elite trumps all for black levels. Yes i know they don't make them anymore, but a used one is better then anything made today.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru

would you recommend the panasonic gt50?

----------

I have a Samsung 55" D8000 in my living room and love it. I don't necessarily think there is a best tv, but there are a few reasons I got this. If you have a lot of digital video files that you want to view on your tv Samsung and Sharp I believe are the only 2 that allow you to do that. Vizio doesn't even support video files via usb and LG has troubles with some audio codecs. I have never tried a Sony with all the various media files though. I have a 8TB media drive plugged in directly to my tv and it plays back everything including 3D.

If that is not important to you, I would also suggest one of the LG series tvs. The picture is very good and the price is very reasonable. The big thing about 3D is if you want passive or active 3D. Passive is like in theaters, and active requires glasses with batteries. LG, Vizio, and Toshiba use passive and Sony, Sharp, Samsung, Panasonic use active.

i have a vizio 3d tv and yes it does support USB.
i want an active 3d, youre right there isn't a best tv i dont know what i was asking. I think a better questions would be what 3d tv has the least problems.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Panasonic is a great plasma, but Pioneer Elite trumps all for black levels. Yes i know they don't make them anymore, but a used one is better then anything made today.

That used to be the case, but is not necessarily so anymore. According to some of the reviews I read, current Panasonic models (like VT50 or maybe even GT50) supposedly match the black levels of Kuro TV sets. In any case, I have a GT50 model, which I'm very happy with. Still, for a bright room it still makes more sense to go with an LED model.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
That used to be the case, but is not necessarily so anymore. According to some of the reviews I read, current Panasonic models (like VT50 or maybe even GT50) supposedly match the black levels of Kuro TV sets. In any case, I have a GT50 model, which I'm very happy with. Still, for a bright room it still makes more sense to go with an LED model.

Hey Jaro,
have you tried any 3D movies? if so how is it? i heard with THX cinema mode on and 48HZ off its better

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
would you recommend the panasonic gt50?

----------

i have a vizio 3d tv and yes it does support USB.
i want an active 3d, youre right there isn't a best tv i dont know what i was asking. I think a better questions would be what 3d tv has the least problems.

Which Vizio do you have? I know they have USB ports, but from what I saw, you couldn't plug an external HD into it and play video files?

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
Kuro plasmas y pioneer were the best but panasonic bought the patents for it when pioneer left the market so now the same pdp tech is used and improved in the panasonic plasmas.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
Plasma's will break the bank to repair. Go with Samsung LED.

Fella don't fool yourself. You taking like your been there. You get top notch plasma. Insure it. If it breaks and it meant to break like everything else, they fix it for no cost. If you cannot afford to run a quality product do not run ****. Don't buy 7series with Diesel engine for sake of having luxury ride cos it ain't. Luxury starts with 760iL and full spec as standard and above.

Mr-Kerrse

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I have an LG 55LM620T 55-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED Cinema 3D Smart TV

Love the 3d on it much more comfortable to wear passive glasses than the active ones.

Also it offers plex for those that haven't got jailbroken ATV2's opens up your computer nicely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.