Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
So after googling, the answer to my question is is harder to come by than expected.

I made a smoothie. I put one key lime (peel and all) in it than started reading that lime seeds are well, poisonous. While it was a tasty smoothie, do I have anything to worry about?

Odd topic but I figure a few of you might know

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I searched for for lime seeds poisonous. What did you search for?

What articles did you read that left you confused?

This is the only thing I found that gave a useful measure:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/193/are-apricot-seeds-poisonous

Anything else that came up for lime seeds poisonous gave an indefinite amount ("large quantities", with no notion of what constitutes large or small).

If you consider how many seeds would have to be in a key lime (cut one up and count 'em), or how many key limes it would take to make a cupful of seeds (the amount of seeds given in the above article), simple math suggests you have little to be concerned about unless your diet consists of nothing but citrus smoothies.

Personally, I know people who eat entire apples and pears, seeds and all, and have done so for decades. They are no worse for it.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
These things grew more or less wild when I lived in Cuba, and every kid in the neighborhood was cutting them up and making limeade when they were ripe. I'm sure we all ingested more than a few, and I don't remember ever hearing about any problems anybody had.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Apple seeds contain cyanide, and I eat the whole apple yet I'm still here! Life's too short to worry about the low toxicity of things like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.