Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattshawman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2009
Hello all,

I purchased a 13" macbook pro recently and upgraded the RAM to 16GB and HD to the Seagate 750GB Momentus XT Serial 2.5 inch 7200 RPM 32MB 6GB/S SATA Solid State Hybrid Hard Drive as this was recommended by a friend.

He tells me since he's been using this his mac boots up super fast, in around 10-20 secs. Reading over other reviews on amazon people also seem to get the same sort of boot time after about 4/5 restarts.

I've had the HD installed now for just under 2 days and the startup time is still very long (around 1 minute), its actually about 10/15 secs longer than the orignal HD that was installed!! Anyone have any help on why this maybe? If it helps i copied my original HD to new using Carbon copy cloner then installed it from there.

Thanks

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Since you have an original untouched backup, I would try wiping the Momentus XT and doing a fresh install. Install and application or two and reboot a few times.

How does it compare to the cloned version?

mattshawman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2009
It appears i just didnt give it long enough to settle! Booted it just and clocked it at 15 seconds! Thanks for your help on the matter though!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I purchased a 13" macbook pro recently and upgraded the RAM to 16GB and HD to the Seagate 750GB Momentus XT Serial 2.5 inch 7200 RPM 32MB 6GB/S SATA Solid State Hybrid Hard Drive as this was recommended by a friend.

He tells me since he's been using this his mac boots up super fast, in around 10-20 secs. Reading over other reviews on amazon people also seem to get the same sort of boot time after about 4/5 restarts.

I've had the HD installed now for just under 2 days and the startup time is still very long (around 1 minute), its actually about 10/15 secs longer than the orignal HD that was installed!! Anyone have any help on why this maybe? If it helps i copied my original HD to new using Carbon copy cloner then installed it from there.

The Momentus hard drives have a tiny SSD drive (4GB or 8GB) used as a read cache, which should contain the data that is used most. Now seriously, if the parts of the OS that are used for booting the Mac are the most used data on your hard drive, then you are doing something very, very wrong. Most people rarely or never reboot their Macs and don't care about reboot times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.