Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AngelGuy7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2006
New York
So I received my 27" iMac and the first thing I noticed is that the screen is considerably more yellow than my 2007 Macbook Pro and my iPhone 5, especially towards the bottom of the display. At first I wasn't sure if it was just the angle at which I'm viewing the screen, but after some testing I'm fairly certain that I have a faulty screen. Attached are two photos that I took at 50% brightness with 2 different test images.

I also attached one of the test images that I created to highlight this with the hope that others can confirm that their 2012 iMac doesn't exhibit this issue. If you open it fullscreen in Preview the white boxes at the top and bottom should appear the same. I also tried using the Apple calibration utility and managed to remove some of the yellow that plagued the entire screen (and made it more of a "cool white" like my MBP and iPhone 5) but the bottom still seemed yellow.

Looking at my photos would you guys agree that my screen is yellower towards the bottom? I feel like it starts to get yellower midway and then progressively gets worse towards the bottom of the screen.

Do you think I'll be better off trying to get a replacement at a retail store location, call the online store and ask for a replacement, or ask to have the screen replaced? I actually had this same issue with my 2007 Macbook Pro and got it replaced at the Apple Store after I showed the Genius my test image but I'm worried this time around that they'll try to tell me it's the viewing angle or say that they don't have any replacement screens in stock. I've also never sent an Apple product to a repair center so I'm not sure how that process works and I'm a bit concerned that they won't see the yellowing since its a bit subjective and I won't be there to "argue my case".

I'm not sure what to do. :(

Attachments

• Picture 1.JPG
    Picture 1.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,011
  • Picture 2.JPG
    Picture 2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 631
  • Test Image.JPG
    Test Image.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 711

DerekS

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
If it's something you can only see when running test patterns, I wouldn't worry about it.

AngelGuy7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2006
New York
If it's something you can only see when running test patterns, I wouldn't worry about it.

Like I said it's something that I noticed almost immediately. I could be in Safari, Finder, Calendar, etc and see it. I only use the test patterns to help confirm what I believe I see.

What I'm unsure of is this if:

1. anyone else sees it
  2. this is considered acceptable on a screen this large (and with varying viewing angles throughout the screen) since I've never had a screen this large
  3. and if others also think that my screen is yellowing then how best should I proceed in getting it fixed considering the subjective nature of the problem and the current manufacturing constraints

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Like I said it's something that I noticed almost immediately. I could be in Safari, Finder, Calendar, etc and see it. I only use the test patterns to help confirm what I believe I see.

What I'm unsure of is this if:

1. anyone else sees it
  2. this is considered acceptable on a screen this large (and with varying viewing angles throughout the screen) since I've never had a screen this large
  3. and if others also think that my screen is yellowing then how best should I proceed in getting it fixed considering the subjective nature of the problem and the current manufacturing constraints

Acceptable is subjective. This likely passes QA, but you can return it and try again if it bothers you. It seems to, so I would suggest this rather than allowing the irritation to fester. Uniformity has always been a problem in larger displays. I mention more about that below. It shouldn't look distinctively yellow, but the cMBP displays have always been a bit on the cold side where this past generation they've been tracking closer to sRGB. It can look different, but it shouldn't look truly yellow. I'm not sure how to better explain it.

The last thing I'd mention is that the yellow thing has come up with many generations. If you look a generation back, you'll see it mentioned there too. People want to think of this as a perfectly engineered product, but it's a mass market item. Smaller companies that produce upper mid range displays in the $1-3k range use a number of methods to engineer around such problems whenever possible. These include vetted panels shared with a cheaper product line, panel blocking adjustments so that they optimize the black level to the lighter patches and white levels to the darkest patches, display LUT systems to ensure a better distribution of tones and slightly more leverage dialing in color temperature for a slightly warmer or cooler look, adjustable height stands to minimize off angle gamma shifts, and a bunch of other stuff.

It's not really a simple topic. In this case of Apple displays, if you're not happy reject/return it and try again as some are better than others. If you get a near perfect one with good uniformity, a colorimeter can be used to slightly tune its behavior. I mention slightly as you don't want to attempt to drive drastically different behavior by profile instructions. It can cause problems.

FluffyPop

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2011
My display has exactly the same problem and I'm also wondering whether I should return it or live with of for the lifetime of the Mac; whenever I decide to return it and then sit down in front of it I decide it's not that bad after all, but then it starts to bug me again.

The thing is, the problem is not only visible only when running test patterns. It manifests itself very clearly when there's a lot of white on the screen (which becomes yellow on the bottom part of the display) or, especially, grey (which becomes brownish). Viewing angles seem to make a difference too; it becomes less noticeable if I lower my head and look up - but that's no way to look at a display for any length of time.

If there were an Apple store nearby, I'd just go there and ask. But there are none in Denmark where I live, and I'm afraid to start a process which would involve shipping products back and forth only to have Apple not acknowledge the issue in the end.

Bummer.

Calipad

Suspended
Mar 16, 2012
I just got my 2012 27" and I do not have the yellowing that you have. My screen is warmer than my last one but I don't have the obvious yellowing in the pix above.

I would return it.

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
I had 2 21.5" models that were both much worse than yours.

I tried to live with my first one but just couldn't!
Apple sent me a 2nd advanced replacement and it is fine!

The way to tell. Is open your calender full on year and look at dates at top then glance down to dates at bottom!!

Edit: I just blew your pics up.and to be honest it doesn't seem bad at all!!

jackvega

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
Mine looks like this.

Attachments

• IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 527
  • IMG_0105.JPG
    IMG_0105.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 350
  • IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 377

jackvega

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
That looks awful! I hope you return it.

Yes I will, but not because of the yellow issue but because of that scuff. What do you think now chief?

when I am spending 3k, I want it to be right..

Attachments

• IMG_00992.jpg
    IMG_00992.jpg
    598.4 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:

Calipad

Suspended
Mar 16, 2012
Yes I will, but not because of the yellow issue but because of that scuff. What do you think now chief?

Wow! I hope Apple pays attention to flaws on your iMac. Would hate to think very many of these slip out of the Factory.

jrg1970

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2012
The yellow is not great/not awful, but can be further reduced with a good color calibration.

Mine looks like that, too. Calibrating/changing the color-temperature etc. won't do much-all I ended up with was a distinctly different shade of grey on the upper and lower halfs of my screen.

I'll be getting an advance replacement delivered this coming week-I really hope it'll be OK in all respects....

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010

going on my third imac lets see what issues the new one will come with... this is just unforgivable, it seems that they dont have people checking before they send these damn machines out.

Coffee Minutes

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2012

There was a large scuff on the stand like that right out of the box?

I would have called Apple for an RMA immediately.

This reminds me of the scuffed-up iPhone 5's that were initially being delivered.

Maybe they (Foxconn) need to pay their workers more or lower the yield demand per employee so they can focus more on quality and not quantity during the build stage.

Damaged goods out of the box of a relativity pricey product is unacceptable.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
going on my third imac lets see what issues the new one will come with... this is just unforgivable, it seems that they dont have people checking before they send these damn machines out.

We get it. You post in EVERY thread about woe is you, etc. Just take a breath, edry.

----------

There was a large scuff on the stand like that right out of the box?

I would have called Apple for an RMA immediately.

This reminds me of the scuffed-up iPhone 5's that were initially being delivered.

Maybe they (Foxconn) need to pay their workers more or lower the yield demand per employee so they can focus more on quality and not quantity during the build stage.

Damaged goods out of the box of a relativity pricey product is unacceptable.

It happens, regardless of pay. Most people have "flawless" iMacs.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
We get it. You post in EVERY thread about woe is you, etc. Just take a breath, edry.

----------

true that :(. i just wish i could move on.. you know apple is not letting me. its also easy for you to say that since your imac doesnt have any issues, youre enjoying your purchase while some of us who pay our hard work money (like you did) are getting these crappy machines we didnt pay for this and we didnt pay to have these hassles and issues, it wouldnt be as bad if the turn around would be quick for these machines but its seems that even though they are sending crappy machines to us, we have to wait weeks for us to get faulty replacements, its just simply crappy from apple to do this. I definitely need to cool off but its hard for me to do so since i will be getting a replacement and im 70% sure itd probably have issues, howd that make you feel? its hard and extremely annoying that apple is suppose to be a "premium company" and they send us these crappy scuffed, yellow tinted unevenly light screen machines, i love apple but these kinda thing its making second guess them.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
true that :(. i just wish i could move on.. you know apple is not letting me. its also easy for you to say that since your imac doesnt have any issues, youre enjoying your purchase while some of us who pay our hard work money (like you did) are getting these crappy machines we didnt pay for this and we didnt pay to have these hassles and issues, it wouldnt be as bad if the turn around would be quick for these machines but its seems that on top of them sending crappy machines to us, we have to wait weeks for us to get faulty replacements, its just simply crappy from apple to do this. I definitely need to cool off but its hard for me to do so since i will be getting a replacement and im 70% sure itd probably have issues, howd that make you feel? its hard and extremely annoying that apple is suppose to be a "premium company" and they send us these crappy scuffed, yellow tinted unevenly light screen machines, i love apple but these kinda thing its making second guess them.

You could always return it, get a refund, and buy a Dell. Nobody's stopping you. It's "premium" but it's "mass produced". You aren't getting perfection from a $2000 mass produced product. Heck, you wont get perfection from a $300,000 mass produced Ferarri!

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
You could always return it, get a refund, and buy a Dell. Nobody's stopping you. It's "premium" but it's "mass produced". You aren't getting perfection from a $2000 mass produced product. Heck, you wont get perfection from a $300,000 mass produced Ferarri!

i agree, but its just no excuse for anyone to have go through multiple replacements to get one right. thats all, if they give me half of what i paid for id be happy to keep this half a$$ed machine

Coffee Minutes

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2012

Actually, nothing manufactured is truly flawless. There are always imperfections in the assembly-line process which are addressed within tolerance thresholds. You could hand-pick two "flawless" iMacs and find one with a better build quality than the other in some respect. It comes down to the quality control dept. and what is or isn't acceptable within a range that fits or exceeds a parameters tolerance threshold.

Workers under pressure to churn out X number of units will forgo quality for quantity. It's human nature and based upon the dynamics of their own particular workplace such as Foxconn. Their compensation does have some impact on how well one performs their job. Even so, there will be instances of imperfect manufacturing which needs to be caught before being shipped to the consumer. This is where quality control comes in. Apple has allowed a lower quality threshold which they actually hedge with their in-house AppleCare division.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Actually, nothing manufactured is truly flawless. There are always imperfections in the assembly-line process which are addressed within tolerance thresholds.

Note the " " around my word "flawless."

true that :(. i just wish i could move on.. you know apple is not letting me. its also easy for you to say that since your imac doesnt have any issues, youre enjoying your purchase while some of us who pay our hard work money (like you did) are getting these crappy machines we didnt pay for this and we didnt pay to have these hassles and issues, it wouldnt be as bad if the turn around would be quick for these machines but its seems that even though they are sending crappy machines to us, we have to wait weeks for us to get faulty replacements, its just simply crappy from apple to do this. I definitely need to cool off but its hard for me to do so since i will be getting a replacement and im 70% sure itd probably have issues, howd that make you feel? its hard and extremely annoying that apple is suppose to be a "premium company" and they send us these crappy scuffed, yellow tinted unevenly light screen machines, i love apple but these kinda thing its making second guess them.

Are you kidding? My iMac certainly isn't PERFECT, but it's definitely well within spec. Hey, I've been waiting to watch movies on my iPad 4 since the day it was released, and still can't due to a ridiculous glitch in Apple's implementation of contrast management.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1484132/

But I'm pretty chill about it now, since, come on - it's just an electronic device.

With regard to the iMac issues, - yes it sucks, but honestly - it's just the nature of the tech at this time. Heck, people scream about how OLED is soooo much better than LCD, but even OLED has its problems. I have a Playstation Vita with the OLED screen, and blacks are streaky and ugly in a dark room (as is the case with most/all OLED devices to my knowledge). Just have to deal with it, like you do with all tech. It all has issues! You can continue to use your iMac while you wait for another. I fail to see the huuuuge inconvenience there. Backing up and restoring to your new iMac is not a big deal at all.

And to respond to your scuffs comment, how many iMacs out there are arriving scuffed? Probably only a handful, I'd wager. I've seen brand new Ferraris with scratches on them. It happens! Rarely, but it does happen. To ANY product. Don't go around being fear-mongered by people on the forums. Yes it sucks for them, but you can just about bet your life on their second iMac not being scuffed.

Again, take a breath, put things in perspective. I don't know if this is your first iMac or what, but if you're expecting PERFECTION from your iMac screen, you may as well give up now. And the larger the display, the more variance/bleed there is likely to be. I've never, ever, ever seen a perfect screen on any device in many, many years of doing tech work. And believe you me I'm unbelievably picky. The only thing I've learned in my time is to just let some things go. Absolutely I have standards, but you'll be miserable if you don't keep your expectations in check.

----------

Mine looks like that, too. Calibrating/changing the color-temperature etc. won't do much-all I ended up with was a distinctly different shade of grey on the upper and lower halfs of my screen.

I'll be getting an advance replacement delivered this coming week-I really hope it'll be OK in all respects....

Expect it to be similar, at least in my experience with quite a few iMacs. Maybe slightly better, maybe slightly worse. You take more of a risk with light bleed/other issues if yours doesn't have any, and that bothers me a whole heck of a lot more. :) Good luck, though!

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Note the " " around my word "flawless."

Are you kidding? My iMac certainly isn't PERFECT, but it's definitely well within spec. Hey, I've been waiting to watch movies on my iPad 4 since the day it was released, and still can't due to a ridiculous glitch in Apple's implementation of contrast management.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1484132/

But I'm pretty chill about it now, since, come on - it's just an electronic device.

With regard to the iMac issues, - yes it sucks, but honestly - it's just the nature of the tech at this time. Heck, people scream about how OLED is soooo much better than LCD, but even OLED has its problems. I have a Playstation Vita with the OLED screen, and blacks are streaky and ugly in a dark room (as is the case with most/all OLED devices to my knowledge). Just have to deal with it, like you do with all tech. It all has issues! You can continue to use your iMac while you wait for another. I fail to see the huuuuge inconvenience there. Backing up and restoring to your new iMac is not a big deal at all.

And to respond to your scuffs comment, how many iMacs out there are arriving scuffed? Probably only a handful, I'd wager. I've seen brand new Ferraris with scratches on them. It happens! Rarely, but it does happen. To ANY product. Don't go around being fear-mongered by people on the forums. Yes it sucks for them, but you can just about bet your life on their second iMac not being scuffed.

Again, take a breath, put things in perspective. I don't know if this is your first iMac or what, but if you're expecting PERFECTION from your iMac screen, you may as well give up now. And the larger the display, the more variance/bleed there is likely to be. I've never, ever, ever seen a perfect screen on any device in many, many years of doing tech work. And believe you me I'm unbelievably picky. The only thing I've learned in my time is to just let some things go. Absolutely I have standards, but you'll be miserable if you don't keep your expectations in check.

----------

Expect it to be similar, at least in my experience with quite a few iMacs. Maybe slightly better, maybe slightly worse. You take more of a risk with light bleed/other issues if yours doesn't have any, and that bothers me a whole heck of a lot more. :) Good luck, though!

william i totally see what youre saying dont get me wrong.. i agree with you and i understand.. i just dont think you see streaks of blue lines when you open another page or open a new application from the such bad image retention this machine has, its really bad its not just really hots spots on the side its also the image retention its is really really bad im really not being picky here IT IS really bad period. Im not asking for much all i want is a machine that works as advertised thats all im asking not nosy fans or bad screen just something that works. i need to do my work. As far as your comment saying just restore back i explain many times y use tons of plugins for the adobe creative suite and logic pro and just other hand full of applications, ive done restores before the plugings dont end up working idk why this happens but they simply dont so i dont want to go through the hassle to having to re install and install again every time i get a replacement.. its not as easy as you think im not just browsing the web or doing simple tasks i ordered a almost fully loaded machine not just to browse the internet or play games sometimes i did it to do video work and having crappy screens its not good for video work... am i overly exaggerating and overly reacting ? yes i know so, but i think you do fail to see yourself in my position. thats all.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
william i totally see what youre saying dont get me wrong.. i agree with you and i understand.. i just dont think you see streaks of blue lines when you open another page or open a new application from the such bad image retention this machine has, its really bad its not just really hots spots on the side its also the image retention its is really really bad im really not being picky here IT IS really bad period. Im not asking for much all i want is a machine that works as advertised thats all im asking not nosy fans or bad screen just something that works. i need to do my work. As far as your comment saying just restore back i explain many times y use tons of plugins for the adobe creative suite and logic pro and just other hand full of applications, ive done restores before the plugings dont end up working idk why this happens but they simply dont so i dont want to go through the hassle to having to re install and install again every time i get a replacement.. its not as easy as you think im not just browsing the web or doing simple tasks i ordered a almost fully loaded machine not just to browse the internet or play games sometimes i did it to do video work and having crappy screens its not good for video work... am i overly exaggerating and overly reacting ? yes i know so, but i think you do fail to see yourself in my position. thats all.

The image retention I agree is absolutely 100% unacceptable. No question.

I can't fathom why a backup/restore via Time Machine or some cloning software wouldn't restore the backup exactly how it was.

Either way, I understand your complaints, but just bear in mind like anything - nothing is perfect! Hopefully you'll have better luck with your next machine!

AngelGuy7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2006
New York
I had 2 21.5" models that were both much worse than yours.

I tried to live with my first one but just couldn't!
Apple sent me a 2nd advanced replacement and it is fine!

The way to tell. Is open your calender full on year and look at dates at top then glance down to dates at bottom!!

Edit: I just blew your pics up.and to be honest it doesn't seem bad at all!!

Yeah, it's one of these things where the photo doesn't really capture it all that well. In person everyone who I showed saw it as well.

If you open up my 2nd photo in a somewhat smaller window and you scroll from top to bottom you'll see the color change somewhere in the middle.

I stopped in the store and tested the two models on display. I noticed that one was somewhat yellow and one was not. I already sent my iMac back and Apple is sending me a replacement. Hopefully it's a good one. I went through this with my 2007 Macbook Pro as well -- 2 replacements later I had a "perfect" screen.

Remi B

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
I'm debating wether to return my iMac for screen yellowing towards the bottom half of the screen. Not sure how bad mine is compared to others and whether its worth taking the risk of getting the same or worse as a replacement. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    1,010.5 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0093.JPG
    IMG_0093.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.