Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Ah, Good ol' Ben was always one of my favorites! Now, if you could find a stack of Grants!!:)

Sure!! Here ya go .... What we REALLY need is a stack of Clevelands

usgtoo.jpg

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Salacious, when I saw the thumbnail for this I thought I understood your shot because of the businessman sitting in the left foreground. Then I viewed the enlargement and got confused, the only people in focus are way back on the right and one of them is with her back to us.

Who is the businessman? :confused:

I will point out that I don't have a degree in fine arts or analysing photo's, so I could well have missed the point. ;)

I took the man in the back on the right to be the subject. The line of everyone else's heads/bodies leads us to him, he's in focus, he's facing us. If that's the case, I wonder if a crop that took out the people on the left side of the frame would reinforce that (of course I'm still making assumptions on what Salacious intended here).

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Something really old to see in the New Year.

I went to see the ancient Stone Circle a Duddo and the rock carvings at Routing Linn in Northumberland today. Got to Routing Linn as night was falling.

I love this shot! Can you tell me a bit more about it? I've grown up just south of Newcastle and had no idea this existed! I simply must visit it!

rjmCreative

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2013
If the original pic is "bland", is there any button worth pressing in PP other than 'delete'? :confused:

This made me laugh. In fact I'm still chuckling. I've "been there" in that PP phase. Haven't we all?

I thought this was photo of the day not laugh of the day...

BJ

And I thought this was a friendly forum worth joining to gain some insight on photography and not the attention of nonconstructive critics. Sorry for I allowed my hopes to get so high in hope of someone giving me a pointer or tip in a more respectful way. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Last edited:

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
I took the man in the back on the right to be the subject. The line of everyone else's heads/bodies leads us to him, he's in focus, he's facing us. If that's the case, I wonder if a crop that took out the people on the left side of the frame would reinforce that (of course I'm still making assumptions on what Salacious intended here).

To me he's an office worker, not a businessman. He's wearing a v-neck jumper, not a suit. I guess that's where I got stuck! I guess titles can be misleading or confusing at times.

I was interested in what he was doing, was he speaking to a friend, was he accosted by a street walker, what was going on there? So that element worked.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
This is more deliberate nice light. It was near sunset when I saw these birds on the tree of life at Animal Kingdom, and the tree made a nice background in that light.

Disney%20AK%202012-212-XL.jpg

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
No way

Are you guys making fun of me? I never delete anything that I shoot. I keep every photo I take. All I did was try to make some colors and other elements stick out more... :(

All I am trying to do is share some photography and not be criticized for using PP. I thought the unique capture of the Sun was worth keeping. Sorry for trying.

No, Im not making fun of you. Never would. For me POTD allows me to post captures in which I take pleasure, not because my shots are especially great. If you have a photo, and YOU like it, then share it, post it; BUT be ready for what comes. Some of us will offer C&C, others, like me, not so much. I guess was I was chuckling about was Doylem's dry wit. It did make me laugh... but it's only his 2 cents. As he would likely say, take it for what it's worth.
Personally I take away a lot from this thread. I like to see what others are doing and how they do it and then try to incorporate their techniques into my own stuff. Don't delete your shots.... keep on truckin' and enjoy. Remember everyone has an opinion. If I offended in any way, I do apologize.

BJ

----------

Mine, from the Lincolnshire wolds Saturday Night

Lincolnshire Wolds Sunset by Shaun Wilkinson Photography, on Flickr

I like this... looks like minor HDR treatment... but looking at it, its seems such a serene and quite spot. Nice photo. And what's a wold ?

BJ

genshi

macrumors 6502a
Another test shot from my new Belair 6x12 medium format film camera...

8343013645_86f6e9def3_c.jpg

I saw this camera and was interested but I didn't want the side effects of shooting "lomo". How do you find the sharpness, from your web images it looks really nice!

Thanks! It's not as "Lomo" as you might think; there are no light leaks or anything like you would find on a $30 Holga, and though it [Belair X 6-12] too has a plastic lens, it is a much higher quality plastic lens, plus you get two of them (58mm and 90mm) as well as an adjustable ISO and Auto-Exposure... so not that lomo.

As for sharpness, considering that plastic lenses are being used, it's not as bad as I had thought it would be. The 58mm I used at f8 is supposed to be the worst in terms of sharpness (which you can see on the edges) so I am going to try the 90mm at f16 next (they are about to release two Russian-made glass lenses for this camera as well.) And really, you can't go wrong with a $200 medium format camera that comes with two lenses, has auto-exposure and can shoot in 6x6, 6x9 and 6x12 formats! I bought it specifically for the 6x12 format, but my main film camera is the Fujifilm GF670 Medium Format Rangefinder (6x6 and 6x7) which is what I use if I want higher quality, sharp photos...

Curious to know what you think of my shot today.

I was shooting indoors and had to ramp the ISO to 1600 and compete with strong highlights from a window and I attempted to "fix" it all in post. I know quite a few members are opposed to this but I used it as more of an experiment anyway. I hope Doylem doesn't rip me to shreds!

So, if you can point out some of the flaws to the photo I would be very grateful. Just to say I was fully against the back wall so I couldn't get any further back and tighter but I should have tried standing on something to get rid of the bed post!

8352780635_43b745c2b3_z.jpg

There is nothing wrong with fixing things in post as long as you try to get the best possible image in-camera first. I would be curious to see how dark the room was initially instead of trying to make it so bright. There is no contrast with anything in the room so it just seems all too white. You need shadows, contrast. But not bad otherwise...

The only thing that really bothers me though, is the model looking directly into the camera; as if she is annoyed that you are taking her photo yet again. Sometimes looking directly into the camera works, but in this case I don't think it did... Maybe have your model look off camera a bit like in these photos -

8166713366_82d2b7d106_n.jpg
8211115707_4301febde8_n.jpg

(FAIR USE NOTICE: the two photos directly above are not mine; they are only being shown here for illustrative/educational purposes.)

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
To me he's an office worker, not a businessman. He's wearing a v-neck jumper, not a suit. I guess that's where I got stuck! I guess titles can be misleading or confusing at times.

I was interested in what he was doing, was he speaking to a friend, was he accosted by a street walker, what was going on there? So that element worked.

Upon looking at it again, I'd have to agree that the man on the bench fits the title better, but I think I personally find myself more interested in the man in the background and would love to see a crop that just has the crowd of turned backs leading to him. Would make for quite the composition.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
And I thought this was a friendly forum worth joining to gain some insight on photography and not the attention of nonconstructive critics. Sorry for I allowed my hopes to get so high in hope of someone giving me a pointer or tip in a more respectful way. Everyone has to start somewhere.

You've already had a bit of good advice. If you start PP with a "bland" pic (your description, not mine...), you will be looking for ways to give it a bit of visual "oomph". Y'know, move a few sliders left or right, add some colour, make it "pop", etc.

Or... you can start PP with the best pic in a series, when the necessary adjustments will be minimal.

Self-editing is an important part of the learning curve. If you're keeping everything... then you either have an enviable strike-rate, or you're not being critical enough. :)

rjmCreative

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2013
You've already had a bit of good advice. If you start PP with a "bland" pic (your description, not mine...), you will be looking for ways to give it a bit of visual "oomph". Y'know, move a few sliders left or right, add some colour, make it "pop", etc.

Or... you can start PP with the best pic in a series, when the necessary adjustments will be minimal.

Self-editing is an important part of the learning curve. If you're keeping everything... then you either have an enviable strike-rate, or you're not being critical enough. :)

I don't necessarily keep everything in the same location. While I may archive the originals, I'll use a hierarchy folder system to aid in organizing projects. You're people skills through text must be lacking because you came and are coming off somewhat jagged. By bland I meant that there wasn't much of an absolute focus other than the landscape itself (which consisted of A LOT of white).

I didn't do a lot of PP which with your experience can probably already see that.

I'm always tweaking with my camera settings during, before, and after anytime I shoot. Thanks for the "tips", before this reply your sarcasm or whatever it was, was not picked up.

rj

streetskooler

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2008
Seaside Heights, NJ January 5, 2013

Just got a Canon t3i for Christmas and this was my first trip out with it m

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 170
Last edited:

avro707

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010

(Click for larger)

That was impeccable timing to capture that on photo. ;)

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011

I think there's nicer ways to deliver the message.

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
----------

[/COLOR]

I like this... looks like minor HDR treatment... but looking at it, its seems such a serene and quite spot. Nice photo. And what's a wold ?

BJ

Thanks the wiki definition is:
The Wolds, a term used in England to describe a range of hills consisting of open country overlying limestone or chalk (see Wood, Wald)....:) They pretty much go ignored by most people, in favour of places like the lake & peak district.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
As for sharpness, considering that plastic lenses are being used, it's not as bad as I had thought it would be. The 58mm I used at f8 is supposed to be the worst in terms of sharpness (which you can see on the edges) so I am going to try the 90mm at f16 next (they are about to release two Russian-made glass lenses for this camera as well.) And really, you can't go wrong with a $200 medium format camera that comes with two lenses, has auto-exposure and can shoot in 6x6, 6x9 and 6x12 formats! I bought it specifically for the 6x12 format, but my main film camera is the Fujifilm GF670 Medium Format Rangefinder (6x6 and 6x7) which is what I use if I want higher quality, sharp photos...

I think it was the plastic lens that put me off but there is something magical about the 6x12 exposure. Must look great when you develop your negs.

Think we might have crossed paths before when you posted a picture of someone raking leaves? If not it's the same camera that was used for that!

There is nothing wrong with fixing things in post as long as you try to get the best possible image in-camera first. I would be curious to see how dark the room was initially instead of trying to make it so bright. There is no contrast with anything in the room so it just seems all too white. You need shadows, contrast. But not bad otherwise...

The only thing that really bothers me though, is the model looking directly into the camera; as if she is annoyed that you are taking her photo yet again. Sometimes looking directly into the camera works, but in this case I don't think it did... Maybe have your model look off camera a bit like in these photos -

8166713366_82d2b7d106_n.jpg
8211115707_4301febde8_n.jpg

(FAIR USE NOTICE: the two photos directly above are not mine; they are only being shown here for illustrative/educational purposes.)

Thanks for the feedback. Very useful. I need to attempt to get more contrast into my shots and I aim to get some more planned shots under my belt this year rather than just relying on snapshots.

I think the issue with the light in the room was that there were two skylights off camera left and the one main window blasting light in. All the walls were white so it all jumps around leaving the room looking very flat.

I am aiming to sculpt my own light more now and my photo of the day are my new toys that I picked up for an absolute steal. Next goal is to sell my 600d and 17-55mm + 11-16mm and go FF!

New Toys by acearchie, on Flickr

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.