Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crashwins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
About to buy a used MBA 11" with the 2.0ghz i7 upgrade, 8GB RAM, and 256GB HD for $800 and it's mint. Good deal? It's like $1675 on Apple's website. I will be using it at home exclusively with an external and wondering if it could handle Lightroom well and Photoshop? My old 13" MBP did and it didn't have the same power under the hood! Thanks

Last edited:

crashwins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Ha. I guess I did. I've never bought a used Air before so I wasn't so sure if that was a good deal -- seemed bloody great to me, but I wanted to defer to the experts here on the forums. Also, I'm new to using Geekbench scores and this one clocks in over 7000, which seems much higher than the MBP I had. Wasn't sure how reliable these are.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
That's a really great price. Almost too good since the refurbs are still going for $1399. Do you know why the seller priced it so low? Is there cosmetic damage?

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I would be careful with something like this. Apple computers do not sell for half price unless there is something very wrong with it or it's stolen. Unless you're buying it off a friend in desperate need of cash I don't see how this is legitimate.

crashwins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
I agree. The price does seem super low -- hard to believe. Every so often you come across someone who just doesn't care about re-sale, though -- it happens, but I'm definitely careful.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
About to buy a used MBA 11" with the 2.0ghz i7 upgrade, 8GB RAM, and 256GB HD for $800 and it's mint. Good deal? It's like $1675 on Apple's website. I will be using it at home exclusively with an external and wondering if it could handle Lightroom well and Photoshop? My old 13" MBP did and it didn't have the same power under the hood! Thanks
The only thing I would look at is if the 11" Air is too small for you.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I agree. The price does seem super low -- hard to believe. Every so often you come across someone who just doesn't care about re-sale, though -- it happens, but I'm definitely careful.

Where are you purchasing it from if you don't mind me asking

crashwins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
I'd be using an external, though - it should pump out a great resolution to a 22", no? Does anyone have any thoughts on using this for Aperture/Lightroom? Should be plenty quick I'd think

crashwins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Craigslist - never had a problem with CL for used MBs. I'm in a quasi-rural area of 30K ppl.

crashwins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Well, this experience has rekindled my faith in Craigslist. Just got the maximum upgrade for the 11" for just $800 and the damn thing looks new! Unbelievable. Xmas came later this year for me :)

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Well, this experience has rekindled my faith in Craigslist. Just got the maximum upgrade for the 11" for just $800 and the damn thing looks new! Unbelievable. Xmas came later this year for me :)

Technically it's a new year so actually it arrived very early :)

Good price for that model, though. Very good. Congratulations!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.