Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
You'd see a far better improvement going to the i7. I'm pretty sure the i5s don't do hyperthreading.

The new iMacs have desktop i5's not mobile so they are quad core. The most I've ever seen logic use is two cores.

It also does not take advantage of a GPU so the faster video would not benefit it either

Ron12

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
The new iMacs have desktop i5's not mobile so they are quad core. The most I've ever seen logic use is two cores.

It also does not take advantage of a GPU so the faster video would not benefit it either

so imac 27 32gb ram 1tb fusion drive quad core i5 2.9 will be great for logic electronic music produce ?

thanks

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Scotland, land of the haggis
I'm using logic with the 2.9 and its prefect for it. :D

The graphics card(gtx660m) for the 2.9 base model has CUDA for helping with CPU calculations.

I've a line 6 pod connected for guitar/bass work, a microphone for my vocals, and my electronic drum kit and have not had any issues with logic on my system at all.;)

Pie Chips Salad

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
make electronic music , Logic ..
that all .. but the imac 27 its really beutiful ..
the i5 2.9 its eought ?

Sounds to me you really want the imac but just get the id get the i7 regardless. I still think the mini represents the best value for this purpose because gpu is unimportant for audio

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
Curious, as the Apple Logic Pro site mentions this:

interesting, thanks for the link. I was speaking strictly from my own experience but perhaps (likely) I have not done the most heavy duty stuff with it since my stuff tends to be 6-8 tracks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.