Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
The Pebble watch looks nicer and has more potential IMO. They have an open SDK for developers to write their own apps for it. They also have a press conference on Wednesday at CES. Wonder what else they'll announce...

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
One great use for this would be if you could just vibrate and no beep.. this could be the perfect alarm for couples who wake up at different times...

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
This actually seems kind of cool. Definitely not a necessity, but I'm sure there's a decent market for it. I guess it's useful if you're on the run a lot and can't really be pulling your phone in and out of your pocket or purse checking for a call or message you're waiting for. It doesn't look too bad, but does seen a little thick.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I backed twice and got two of these. One silver and one black. Love them. Looking forward to added functionality as the app improves. :)

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I like the idea, and the innovation. More of these kinds of products will hopefully enter the market as well.

As far as this watch goes, no thanks. But I do like the idea

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
No, you're not - seems pointless to me. No idea why there's such a huge hype surrounding them.

The primary function is a pc way of checking for email, SMS, calls, etc. without pulling out your phone in a scenario where it might seem rude or inappropriate. A date, during a meeting, etc.

elasticmedia

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
I know everybody is doing the pile-on here, but there are some things that would be very cool. The find my phone button is great. While I keep my phone in my pocket, many women don't because pants manufacturers have decided that women don't need pockets and pants don't come with them. Often women keep phones in purses and when they are on silent, they don't get the calls.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Damn cool! These watches will be commonplace in a few years I hope. I used to wear a watch everyday, then my phone became my watch, now if a watch could tell me what song I was playing, or who was calling me (or what a text said) then I'd be all over that.

This seems to tell you you have a facebook notification, or a tweet, but not what it says. The Pebble 'wins' in that regard, but I still want something that can do SMS's.

After that I'll sure as hell wear a watch every day again!!

AlanFord

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Cro
I still dont wont to be destracted in the toilet.
Privacy, screw these things who just bzzzz bzzz notifications every second.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
It would be kinda cool... For a few days. But really, it’s a very quick process to pull your phone out of your pocket and check the notification.

What about while you're driving? What about while you are having a face to face conversation with another human? It's less disruptive and distracting to just glance at your wrist, than to reach into your pocket and pull something out to look at it.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
This is entirely too much jewelry for grandpa!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 102

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
So the watch looks like it is thicker than the iPhone 5. :)

I don't even wear a watch any more... don't think this will make me start again.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah I don't get it.

For a watch? That's cheap as all get out. I wouldn't trust it to tell the time, let alone talk to my phone. Not to mention the strain an always-on BT connection is going to put on the battery of both devices.

For the record, I have an Omega Seamaster Quartz for more dressy things and a Tissot T-Sport Veloci for biking and skiing (or just more casual stuff) so I may be a smidge biased against it.

Last edited:

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
The Pebble watch looks nicer and has more potential IMO. They have an open SDK for developers to write their own apps for it. They also have a press conference on Wednesday at CES. Wonder what else they'll announce...

Pebble is way better, has way more functionality. It's also thinner too. The only drawback is battery life is 7+ days, but honestly, that is fine with me (you won't have to ever replace the battery) cause the trade off is much more functionality.

Skip/pause songs, read sms, see who is calling, integrates with phone's gps to do things like be a speedometer on a bike, you can change the clock face, read email (at least subject line to determine if you need to read it now or ignore).

On top of that, your right, the SDK. That is most important thing cause it opens it up to anyone's ideas.

For example, pebble doesn't allow you to click for photos, but I am sure someone will create that through the SDK, which I like the idea of a lot.

And it is all for what, I think $20 more?

Suspended
Oct 24, 2007
Firstly this ad just didn't sell it for me. But I have hearing loss so I find it hard to hear my ringtones, even with the volume on max, when my phone is not right with me or is in my pocket. The vibrator isn't much help. I wanted to get one of those wristbands that has vibrate notification in it. All I need to know is when the phone wants my attention. Nice and soft, nice and flexible and very durable. Alas my, in perfect working order 3Gs doesn't support Bluetooth 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
But if I'm getting a call or message, my phone is either ringing, or vibrating. If I receive a FaceBook message, my phone receives a push notification and dings. And all my devices are already synced to my calendars, so I get notifications through the computer, iPhone and iPad already.

I'm not opposed to it, I just don't understand why I'd want to buy one of these.

There has been many times I've sat in a car or restaurant and got some notification or wanted to check the time but didn't bother because pulling my phone out while sitting down was too much of a hassle for something minor. I could see it come in handy for stuff like that then especially if you wanted a watch anyway and get lots of notifications.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I would rather have the Citizen Proximity. Uses Bluetooth to alert you and looks like a regular watch. http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-us/watches/watch-detail/?model=AT7030-05E

The low price of $127 is about the only thing this watch has going for it. I'd gladly pay twice that for a watch that has the same functions but doesn't look so cheap and goofy.

I showed my wife that Citizen watch, she wanted to know if it also made dinner for the price. Then I showed her the SkyHawk A-T and she clamped her mouth shut. :D

Maybe for my birthday I can get the proximity, though I would rather it have a metal band...

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
I get the things its suppose to do, but I don't get how. I don't like how the video doesn't show anything. On the Pebble, I get where messages appear, here, I get that .5-inch area of the watch for that info? wtf?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.