Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
If it where not for my recently purchased iPad 3, I would have a mini, but get a chance to play with one every time I see it.

One thing I noticed that does irk me about the mini: Performance.
I notice a level of lagginess and jittery operation on display mini's the iPad 3 does not have.

Anyone else notice that?

Otherwise, the small non-retina screen is not an issue for me. Yes, I see it is a little pixelated, but I can still see text clearly.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Here and there yes..not too bothersome though..I see it with many Safari tabs open only really

This is why I will STILL upgrade to the next gen regardless retina or not

I will upgrade for more RAM and a faster processor alone

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Subjectively my experience has been contrary to yours.

No i have no lag on my mini and I went from a iPad 3 to a mini.

App wise most apps are the same, the only noticeable differences has been on games, and If anything some games actually play, have more effects and lag less on the mini (MC4, NOVA3) than they do on the iPad 3.

----------

Yep, it's an iPad 2 in a smaller package.

Technically you could say the iPad 3 was just an iPad 2 with a retina display and more memory. CPU processor wise they are exactly the same.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
And the funny part is that it has features that the iPad 2 doesn't have, like Siri and Flyover... which I assume, require more power.

I'm sure the 2 could support those features as well if Apple wanted but they need to reserve some features for the newest iPad or no one would buy it.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I have no complaints about the mini. I came from an ipad 2 so for me it was a lateral move with just a bump up in the camera and form factor categories.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Based on all these (ongoing and never ending - sorry to the OP, I don't mean any disrespect at all) negative comments about the mini, I'm concluding that I must have bought (unknowingly) a secret generation 3 or generation 4 iPad mini prototype because the mini I have doesn't cause eye strain, headaches or display text in unreadable ways; my mini doesn't run apps slowly, with any lag or in any way unusable; my mini is wonderful, I love it, I have no complaints and every day I am still impressed with this amazing device.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I really don't notice any slow down and I did have a 3 since release day. Maybe I'm not playing the CPU intensive games or something because I just don't see it. I love my mini as is.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
No problems with lag or performance issues my Mini. It runs everything I have smoothly.

nehope

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
See no discernible difference in performance from my iPad 3 to my mini. Just the obvious difference in screen resolution.

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
See no discernible difference in performance from my iPad 3 to my mini. Just the obvious difference in screen resolution.

And the upgraded stereo speakers in the mini, something even the almighty 4 doesn't have!

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
I do find it a little less speedy, but I wouldn't say it was laggy or jittery. I find I'm forgiving of its performance because somehow my expectations are lower for a smaller device. I was worried I would miss the performance of my Ipad 3 but I really don't.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
No lag or jitter on my mini. I have an iPad 3 as well and I actually find the mini just as fast as the 3 and the Internet itself seems speedier for some reason. I don't usually have more than 5 or 6 tabs open at one time and have yet to see any of them reload.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
May need to do a reboot? Where is the lag and jittery operation on the mini's display? Didn't notice it when I owned it or on my GF's mini now.

Investor27

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
No discernable lag on mine. If you are experiencing lag, you may need to try to check to see if you have a lot of apps open on the multi-task bar, and close some of them or all of the ones you don't use regularly.

S

syd430

As others have probably already pointed out, the main difference between the A5 in the ipad 2/mini and the A5X in the ipad 3 is the graphics chip. There really is no discernible speed difference between the A5 on non-retina ipads and the A5X on retina ipads as the additional graphics power is offset by the computational requirements of the retina display.

Last edited by a moderator:

ljmjag

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2005
Based on all these (ongoing and never ending - sorry to the OP, I don't mean any disrespect at all) negative comments about the mini, I'm concluding that I must have bought (unknowingly) a secret generation 3 or generation 4 iPad mini prototype because the mini I have doesn't cause eye strain, headaches or display text in unreadable ways; my mini doesn't run apps slowly, with any lag or in any way unusable; my mini is wonderful, I love it, I have no complaints and every day I am still impressed with this amazing device.

Did your mini come with a unicorn too? Putting aside, for a moment, your dogged insistence that the non-retina display is hardly noticeable - even the most objective owner of the mini who has come from the iPad 3 can notice the lag in apps. I notice it in several games and in the loading of certain web pages.

Glad that you enjoy it so - but to claim that it is all rainbows and peppermints is laughable.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
i notice most apple shop with ipad mini for you to try on. The ipad will be put at 100% brightness and auto brightness off. That means what you see is probably the best the screen can put out.

I went to check out Ipad mini for my mom, she kept going to the Ipad 4 because the screen is much bigger. Thats okay. But even with 100% brightness, i still can't read clear on website in the mini. Having to zoom in more than my Ipad 2 and it was suppose to be clearer with better ppi? Guess the size really matter. I used to have 7 inch tablet (playbook) it has better screen but for overall uses, it just not good enough. 9.7 is the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.