Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMa

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2012
Hello and Happy New Year everybody! :D

What would you consider a better alternative to Apple Magic Mouse + Wireless Keyboard? Definitely prefer wireless connectivity with backlighting capability as a nice to have feature. :confused:

What do you think of Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac + Logitech Performance Mouse MX™ combo? ;)

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I heartily recommend the Logitech G700 mouse. It's really a gaming mouse, but combined with Steermouse, it can control everything seamlessly. The four thumb buttons I have as back/forward, screen left/right. There's three index finger buttons too, the closest one I use as mission control-> all windows. It can emulate everything you can do with the trackpad - I like the trackpad, but in a desktop environment it's completely unergonomic.

The only downside is that its expensive and eats through batteries - ideally, you want to use it with quality rechargeables like Sanyo Eneloop's.

Keyboard wise, I use my Corsair k90. Backlit, glorious Cherry MX Red mechanical keys and the custom g keys are awesome for shortcuts.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My reply may "go against the grain" of others, but...

.... Unless you really have the need to "move around" with the keyboard, I'd suggest a -wired- keyboard. One less peripheral with batteries to change, and it seems to me that certain keystrokes during the bootup sequence can be problematical with a wireless keyboard.

For a wireless mouse, I'd suggest something like Logitech which uses its own radio frequency instead of Bluetooth. There have been reports here about Bluetooth in the new Minis being less than optimal. Logitech makes great mice, in any case.

Get a keyboard with one or two USB ports, and plug the Logitech "receiver" into those. Keeps a port free on the back of the Mini...

frank4

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
I like the Apple wireless keyboard, nice size, looks & works great, batteries last a long time. Works with iPad too.

I'm less happy with the Apple Magic Mouse because it's too low and requires too much click pressure, so I get a hand pain after an hour.

Recently got a Logitech M500 wired laser mouse on sale $16 at Staples, I like it a lot, you can turn off the click on the wheel so it free spins, and it has good OSX control-settings software (unlike many other mice).

I also have a Dell Bluetooth optical mouse, it's a smaller mobile mouse and often goes on sale $15, works surprisingly well. However there is no OSX settings control software (Windows only), it works OK but I can't use the 2 extra side buttons, possibly could use BetterTouchTool with it. I modified this mouse to remove the click from the wheel rotation.

2 more BlueTooth mice that look interesting, I haven't tried these. Logitech has the V470 BlueTooth mouse that works with OSX. And there is the Gigabyte GM-M7700B BlueTooth mouse, it works with Mac but might not have settings software.

Towhead

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2007
Check them out ... http://matias.ca/products/

I've got the Tactile Pro 3 and think it's great - they print all the alternative symbols on the keys which I find VERY useful. All the controls work too, including sound up/down etc.

They've got a silver/black limited edition for sale now. Maybe you'd rather do the "half keyboard" - a one-handed solution.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
I purchased an Apple wireless keyboard and magic trackpad for my setup. I have a logitech M305 (small wireless mouse more for traveling) and a logitech M310 with my current laptop setup already so I plan on using the mouse for normal navigation and using the trackpad for hand gestures. I have an old wired keyboard that I got from work so I didn't have to type on a laptop keyboard all the time. So I will leave that hooked up to the computer as well in case I need it.

I plan on buying either the Twelve South Magic Wand or the Henge Docks Clique to combine both the keyboard and trackpad into one piece for better lap use. Not sure which one I want to go with just yet though. Both seem to have slight issues with the click on the trackpad but I am not really planning on using that option since I am use to windows laptops with buttons or a mouse with buttons. I will enable touch tap or whatever it is called for the trackpad so I have the option if I need it. Both have a mixture of good and bad reviews but they seem to be highly liked so we will see.

Magic Wand
http://www.twelvesouth.com/products/magicwand/

Clique
http://hengedocks.com/order_clique.php

My mini arrives either tomorrow or Tuesday and I am very excited to get it.

EDIT: Actually, just looked at these and will probably go with the Apple White version so that I won't have to worry about the paint chipping off the silver version, even though the silver version would go well with the pair.

MeshWe Keyboard/trackpad holder (Apple White) ($29.99)
http://www.amazon.com/MeshWe-Bluefin-Seamlessly-apple-white/dp/B006M7IDTA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

MeshWe Keyboard/trackpad holder (Metallic Silver) ($34.99)
http://www.amazon.com/MeshWe-Bluefi...r/dp/B007QKLODO/ref=?ie=UTF8&m=A1ZLL2CWD1QN3K

Last edited:

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Hello and Happy New Year everybody! :D

What would you consider a better alternative to Apple Magic Mouse + Wireless Keyboard? Definitely prefer wireless connectivity with backlighting capability as a nice to have feature. :confused:

What do you think of Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac + Logitech Performance Mouse MX™ combo? ;)

I own the keyboard you ask about my fingers are typing on it right now. it is okay but it is not a great keyboard if you endlessly type. some users type a lot so if you are going to type a lot it is okay .not great. if you type a bit it is better. the big flaw is the caps lock does not light.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.