Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

para85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Hi, I've an older version of Mac Mini...approx. 2007. It is a Intel Core 2 Duo. 1GB Ram Memory. I'm not the best with computers lol

I'd like to "refresh" it and start it off as a new Mac. I have the Mac OSX Install Disc that came with it, it's 10.4.5.

What are the easiest steps to reformat this Mac and start like new? Also, I read on the forums that the Intel Core 2 Duo's won't go past OSX 10.6? How do I upgrade my Mac to the lastest version of OSX possible?

Also, forgot to mention that the latest OSX running currently on my Mac is 10.5.8...

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Hi, I've an older version of Mac Mini...approx. 2007. It is a Intel Core 2 Duo. 1GB Ram Memory. I'm not the best with computers lol

I'd like to "refresh" it and start it off as a new Mac. I have the Mac OSX Install Disc that came with it, it's 10.4.5.

What are the easiest steps to reformat this Mac and start like new? Also, I read on the forums that the Intel Core 2 Duo's won't go past OSX 10.6? How do I upgrade my Mac to the lastest version of OSX possible?

Thanks for your help.

Stick the OS disk in, boot from it, reformat with disk utility. If you truly have a Mac mini 2,1, then you can only go to Lion with out hacking.

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Remember to back up your data before formatting and reinstalling. I'd recommend a 10.6 upgrade. It is a very stable version and more modern. Also check out ram upgrades, that can also help on an older system. Do you have the 10.5 upgrade disk? You may be able to boot from that.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
don't do it. do you have a 10.5 disc? 10.5 is costly. going back to 10.4 will kill your install of 10.5. 10.4 has very little support.

do you have a 10.6 disc?

para85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
don't do it. do you have a 10.5 disc? 10.5 is costly. going back to 10.4 will kill your install of 10.5. 10.4 has very little support.

do you have a 10.6 disc?

Hi, I have Snow Leopard Mac OS X Install but it's not on disc, my cousin sent it to me and it's on an external HD...

I don't need to back up my data as I've kept everything on my external HD. I just want my Mac to start new... thanks

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
If it already has Leopard you won't want to go back a version to Tiger. Leopard has far more features, "feels" more modern, and has more software that is compatible with it than Tiger.

Tiger and Leopard retail install discs cost $60-100 or so on eBay, but Snow Leopard was only $30 new and you can find it cheaper than that (and can still buy it new). It will run on your mini, I'd recommend buying that. It also adds tons of new features not in Leopard. Many users even prefer Snow Leopard over the two newer OS's, Lion and Mountain Lion.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
To what has already been said, I'd add that in case you wanna sell your machine I'd suggest writing 0s to all the disk. Did it in my 2010 Mini a couple of weeks ago before installing SL again and then selling it and it took around 2h. (Mechanical disk, 500GB).

I didn't even consider a 7-pass, as that would've taken 14h, but it would've been better of course. Not to mention the 70h 35-pass one. lol

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I would buy the Snow Leopard disk from Apple. It will run very nicely on your Mac. More RAM would help: RAM for your Mac should be cheap and easy to install on a mini.

From there, it should be very easy to copy your old data into a new user account.

Don't forget to apply all the updates that are available under "Software Update" in the Apple menu.

Your machine can run Lion, but I would stick with Snow Leopard in this instance, for the time being.

para85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
hi, so i have 10.6 on a USB stick...how do I reformat my mini and install 10.6?

Thanks.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012

Also, forgot to mention that the latest OSX running currently on my Mac is 10.5.8...

Thanks for your help.

If you want to upgrade to a newer OSX, upgrade to 10.6. Also, your Mini can accept up to 3GB memory, even though Apple states the limit is 2GB.

3GB and OSX 10.6 is the sweet spot for that model of Mini, and I have one just like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.