Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emwgradstudent

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2011

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I love my SkyHawk! I would prefer a metal band as well. Of course I would like to see something like this in the US: http://www.intomobile.com/2009/05/20/citizen-unveils-aibato-m-bluetooth-watch-in-japan/

Neat, but I prefer the Eco-Drive powered models. 8 month battery with bluetooth on and no light, 17 months with bluetooth off and no light. ;)

That was why I hoped the other rumor about Apple creating a watch, would include some technology like Eco-Drive to help prevent the need for removing the battery or having the watch off the wearers wrist for any length of time. Plus having no ports for recharging makes the watch water resistant much easier.

thebluepointe

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
We recently noticed this last holiday that nobody in our gathering of 22 people wore a wrist watch anymore. Why would we want to go back to that?

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
We recently noticed this last holiday that nobody in our gathering of 22 people wore a wrist watch anymore. Why would we want to go back to that?

I don't own a watch been without one for at least 5 years now maybe longer. This might be a nice device for those who still collect watches . Clearly this product is not being aimed at us lol

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket, I assume.

But you get notification of in incoming call (ringtones are obviously history) or message or calendar reminder you still have to pick up your phone to check what it actually is because the watch doesn't display the details.

So the question is why add another device to act as middleman in a job that really doesn't require a middleman?

Also what use is it in a pool or beach when you keep your phone further than Bluetooth would work and likely in a gym scenario if your phone is in your locker its unabe to get cellular reception anyway..

I struggle to really understand 1 genuinely practical scenario where just picking up your phone would be more awkward than checking a watch and then picking up your phone....

Xano

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
i think the watch industry is dead!
i have my iPhone always with me, so no big deal caring an extra device.

marconiusrex

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Music watch

If I could stream music from my iCloud to my watch ( and it also worked with a set of blue tooth headphones...now that would be useful!

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Am I the only one who doesn't understand why these watches are such a big deal?
The alarm being synced with your calendar and the watch warning you that you forgot your iPhone seemed pretty cool. I don't really care for the watches design though.

billyt1963

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
I did back Pebble and the main reason was for alerts at times when I should not be looking at my phone. I have gotten text messages during meetings that would have been good information to have for the meeting. In my car I don't always know I get a text, but when I feel a message I can get SIRI to read it for me.

I do see this as a niche product. Hopefully I can give a report on the Pebble soon.

Billy

Zimmer62943

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
Interesting feature of the iPhone, when gramps goes to call the kid, the phone says NO SIM, how is he doing this!?!?!?!

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
LMAO, I love how this forum always thinks every news article is geared towards them. Many times when a new product/gadget/software is released either by Apple or some other company (in this case a watch) people here trash either the product or the idea. Newsflash, just because the news is posted on MR doesn't mean the people here are the only target audience...and thankfully so as the companies wouldn't get any business. :p

jeffgtr

macrumors regular
May 9, 2005
Big and Clunky

I can see how it might be a cool idea but this looks like you have a big chunk of plastic strapped to your wrist.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
because that's so hard to do. :rolleyes:
For checking the time, wristwatches have overwhelmingly beaten the pocket watch. Apparently, taking a watch out of pocket is inconvenient enough that almost everybody prefers a wristwatch.

----------

But if I'm getting a call or message, my phone is either ringing, or vibrating. If I receive a FaceBook message, my phone receives a push notification and dings. And all my devices are already synced to my calendars, so I get notifications through the computer, iPhone and iPad already.
Women often don't have their phone in their pant pockets and won't notice a vibration.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I can see how it might be a cool idea but this looks like you have a big chunk of plastic strapped to your wrist.

8yba8ypa.jpg

Not that bad really. Much lower profile and classier than some of the Fossil hipster watches I see around. The steel version is even nicer. Don't have a pic of it yet.

Here you go.. Wearing it now..

udebury5.jpg

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Am I the only one who doesn't understand why these watches are such a big deal?

Great, now I'll have no more privacy anywhere, LOL

On a serious note, I like the concept, but this thing needs to slim down if it ever hopes to gain any traction. I do believe there is a future for such devices in general; the possibilities for a watch-sized touchscreen with Bluetooth and Siri are too numerous to even think up right now.

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
Apparently they hire Samsung's ad firm to do this ad. So basically young up-and-coming professionals use Samsung's phones and old grandpas use iPhone5.
:rolleyes:

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I haz one, and it's not worth purchasing. Not a finished product and properly working app and hardware wise.

cookoo_bluetooth_ios_wristwatch.jpg

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
The primary function is a pc way of checking for email, SMS, calls, etc. without pulling out your phone in a scenario where it might seem rude or inappropriate. A date, during a meeting, etc.

looking at the time is more rude, and most probably they wont know you're wearing that watch

WisdomSeed

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Is it me?

Or do these people not understand watches? First off the thing looks humongous, like something is attacking your wrist. And what is with the hideous plastic bands. I'm old fashioned, I think colored watchbands are for children. The Citizen one is nice, but it costs more than a phone!

I love the concept of these watches. Being able to connect to your phone, so you don't have to remove it from your pocket. Living in Chicago, sometimes you really want to keep your hands free, especially on public transportation. And while Siri will tell you the time, it is still is awkward to talk to your phone at times. So a watch is often a good call. But I don't want something big as a Flava' Flav, clock on my wrist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.