Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScholarsInk

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
Why is this forum so full of 2012 15" cMBP purchasers who feel as though they need to justify their purchase by denigrating the rMBP whenever there's a thread mentioning it? Buy what works for you.

Big(ger)? LOL. It's like half an inch in height and maybe an inch and a half in width/length. How exactly is that going to restrict its portability? Is it not going to fit between a doorway as you go from room to room?

It's considerably lighter.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Why is this forum so full of 2012 15" cMBP purchasers who feel as though they need to justify their purchase by denigrating the rMBP whenever there's a thread mentioning it? Buy what works for you.

Apple split the market in two. :confused: both feel like they need justifying their purchase, as if that will make the future of their product more/less certain.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Big(ger)? LOL. It's like half an inch in height and maybe an inch and a half in width/length. How exactly is that going to restrict its portability? Is it not going to fit between a doorway as you go from room to room?

and the iPhone 4S didnt fit in ur pants either? so who cares if the iPhone 5 is thinner and lighter right? :p

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States

It's considerably lighter.

I'm not trying to justify anything other than the fact that the rMBP shouldn't be bought just because it's more portable. That's hardly a determining factor.

----------

and the iPhone 4S didnt fit in ur pants either? so who cares if the iPhone 5 is thinner and lighter right? :p

The rMBP isn't a tablet or a smartphone... I could hardly see where someone would *REALLY* need a rMBP just *barely* smaller than a normal MBP. In how many situations is that really going to matter?

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I'm not trying to justify anything other than the fact that the rMBP shouldn't be bought just because it's more portable. That's hardly a determining factor.

----------

The rMBP isn't a tablet or a smartphone... I could hardly see where someone would *REALLY* need a rMBP just *barely* smaller than a normal MBP. In how many situations is that really going to matter?

To be honest, I wanted to go down a size. (I have a late2008 uMBP 15") and 13" didn't offer a quadcore. So actually less girth is something that's more than welcome if you opt for a 13"er.

Retina actually weighs just a hair less than 13" uMB(P).

It wasn't a deciding factor when I bought it, but it certainly was an extra point for the retina.
Main factors were HDMI and extra TB port. Actually, thats two extra TB ports if don't shell out for an expensive docking solution or TB display...

with cMBP if you only use a normal screen without a docking station, you're left with no more TB ports.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
To be honest, I wanted to go down a size. (I have a late2008 uMBP 15") and 13" didn't offer a quadcore. So actually less girth is something that's more than welcome if you opt for a 13"er.

Retina actually weighs just a hair less than 13" uMB(P).

It wasn't a deciding factor when I bought it, but it certainly was an extra point for the retina.
Main factors were HDMI and extra TB port. Actually, thats two extra TB ports if don't shell out for an expensive docking solution or TB display...

with cMBP if you only use a normal screen without a docking station, you're left with no more TB ports.

I see your point. But me personally, I only care about the main specs (i.e processor, ram, vram, etc.).

Then again, everyone looks for different things in a laptop. I was just trying to argue a point, though, that you shouldn't buy the rMBP just because of its "portability".

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I see your point. But me personally, I only care about the main specs (i.e processor, ram, vram, etc.).

Then again, everyone looks for different things in a laptop. I was just trying to argue a point, though, that you shouldn't buy the rMBP just because of its "portability".

Not entirely, no.

It seems odd that Apple didn't kill off cMBP directly. they didn't keep the old ALU 15" when they introduced the unibody?

Seems like they were afraid to state "this is the future of laptops" to be confident enough to offer only one 15" laptop like they used to until today.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Not entirely, no.

It seems odd that Apple didn't kill off cMBP directly. they didn't keep the old ALU 15" when they introduced the unibody?

Seems like they were afraid to state "this is the future of laptops" to be confident enough to offer only one 15" laptop like they used to until today.

Seems like they were right to be afraid, too. I had the option of getting a rMBP close to the normal MBP I ordered for only like $300 more. However, after some research I decided it was WAY too risky buying a rMBP due to the many problems (and possible problems) they will experience.

bowlman23

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Seems like they were right to be afraid, too. I had the option of getting a rMBP close to the normal MBP I ordered for only like $300 more. However, after some research I decided it was WAY too risky buying a rMBP due to the many problems (and possible problems) they will experience.

Since the rMBP has been out for 6 months, have they fixed any of the issues they were having? I'm on the fence on purchasing one, but this forum scares me, lol.

Maggot FF

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Oslo, Norway

This is basically just a misconception. A cMBP is just as likely to run into problems as a rMBP, but the rMBP has had some issues with its screen. Then again, that's basically it. The difference is that the rMBP is a new machine. This makes people create new topics about their issues since old ones with a solution doesn't exist yet, hence, the flow of problem-topics you see with the retina.

A lot of people try to justify their purchase of either a rMBP or a cMBP these days (or rather, since the release of the rMBP), and i have to say that i personally see no reason whatsoever to buy a cMBP anymore, but they are still both great machines.

I am however a bit fed up with people claiming that the cMBP is a better buy. Unless you use dvd's a lot and you don't want a superdrive, or you really need upgradeability, i see no reason to buy the cMBP over the rMBP.

But as others said, you buy what you need.

And to the OP, i can't think of a task i can do with a iMac that i can't with a rMBP. Spec-wise they are very similar (though the iMac can be specced higher, of course), but the rMBP has the portability, the screen, the power. All in one awesome package. But the iMac is a great deal for the money if you don't need to carry your work around with you (or around the house).

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010
this is basically just a misconception. A cmbp is just as likely to run into problems as a rmbp, but the rmbp has had some issues with its screen. Then again, that's basically it. The difference is that the rmbp is a new machine. This makes people create new topics about their issues since old ones with a solution doesn't exist yet, hence, the flow of problem-topics you see with the retina.

A lot of people try to justify their purchase of either a rmbp or a cmbp these days (or rather, since the release of the rmbp), and i have to say that i personally see no reason whatsoever to buy a cmbp anymore, but they are still both great machines.

I am however a bit fed up with people claiming that the cmbp is a better buy. Unless you use dvd's a lot and you don't want a superdrive, or you really need upgradeability, i see no reason to buy the cmbp over the rmbp.

But as others said, you buy what you need.

And to the op, i can't think of a task i can do with a imac that i can't with a rmbp. Spec-wise they are very similar (though the imac can be specced higher, of course), but the rmbp has the portability, the screen, the power. All in one awesome package. But the imac is a great deal for the money if you don't need to carry your work around with you (or around the house).

word!

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
iMac - Not up-gradable
rMBP - Not up-gradable

Who would choose a desktop when they perform pretty much the same? (Unless you pre-order the crap out of the 27")

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Will people please stop saying this? The cMBP has it's upgradeability. STOP basing it off of apple rip-off upgrade prices. It would have cost me about an extra $100 to get 1 TB and 8GB of RAM from Apple, compared to price I paid for the 1TB HDD and 16 GB of RAM I have now. AND I get to keep my old 500GB as external storage or backup, as well keep my original stock RAM.

Consider a 256GB SSD then. The cheapest 256GB SSD I can find is $150. And good ones are usually around $180-$200.

Cheapest 8GB RAM upgrade I can find is $30.

So 256GB SSD with 8GB RAM is easily another $200 on top. If I were to get a cMBP with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD, I'd have to fork over $1999 at the cheapest for a brand new machine.

For $200 more, I get four times the pixel count, a faster GPU with more VRAM, a thinner and lighter body, and extra ports.

I think the choice is clear for me. I'm not too crazy on upgrading RAM or HDD down the line, since neither of those seems lacking at this time.

frocco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Well I just got home from the Apple Store with my new rMBP.

Going to unbox and check it out first.

ScholarsInk

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
Consider a 256GB SSD then. The cheapest 256GB SSD I can find is $150. And good ones are usually around $180-$200.

Cheapest 8GB RAM upgrade I can find is $30.

So 256GB SSD with 8GB RAM is easily another $200 on top. If I were to get a cMBP with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD, I'd have to fork over $1999 at the cheapest for a brand new machine.

For $200 more, I get four times the pixel count, a faster GPU with more VRAM, a thinner and lighter body, and extra ports.

I think the choice is clear for me. I'm not too crazy on upgrading RAM or HDD down the line, since neither of those seems lacking at this time.

And for students, $1999 is the price of the base rMBP which makes the choice simply preference.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I bought the retina pro before the iMac came out or else I would have gotten a decked out 27 inch

frocco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
I ended up getting the 2.7/16gb/768

My only choice for 16gb unless I ordered online.

Screen is perfect

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
Lol, no offense, but it's only a difference of like two pounds. It's HARDLY any difference in shape/size, either.

This is probably more valid of a point than the previous. Yet, I've never had a problem with regular drives. EVEN so, you can always put an SSD in a regular MBP, still saving TONS of money.

Is it really TONS of money? The RMBP is $2,199. The cMBP is $1,799. The cMBP only comes with 4g of Ram, so now we're talking $1,899. Now you have to buy and install a SSD. Not really sure what that will cost. But I'm guessing at least $300. But you don't have a retina screen, the cooling system, etc. just sayin

Haiku214

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
The pricing of the rmbp is positioned as such so that if you were to buy a cmbp with ram and ssd upgrades (even with 3rd party vendors), you would be swayed to just go for the retina version because both will more or less be the same in price but the retina has much better display, thinner (although with no disc drive), and other new design features.

So essentially, the cmbp is good only if you are contented with the stock specs.

FYDave

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
It really just came down to being able to take a powerful machine with me for work when I'm not at home.

I may add an iMac to my setup in the future but the rMBP does what I need it to very well.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Besides portability there is NO other reason to get a rMBP over a iMac. The new iMac is superior in every other way including the screen due to the 27" massive size imo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.