Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
and we need 10gb data transfer for what exactly.
Pro users handling hundreds of GB of data (audio, video, etc.) on a daily basis, for example.
Consumers that have a substantial media library would sure appreciate faster transfer rates. 300 ripped CDs alone can take up to 100-200GB, and with movies you need to multiply that by a factor of at least 10.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
This new SuperSpeed USB 3 will likely win out and we'll see the slow death of Thunderbolt just like we saw the slow death of FireWire. A committed following sung the praises of FireWire to the bitter end and that will likely happen with Thunderbolt, as well.

Yep - It’s been ages now, and TB is simply not catching in any serious way.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Because Ivy Bridge was the first Intel chip with native USB 3.0 support in their Hub.

But even Intel was putting the NEC USB 3.0 chip in their systems/motherboards long before Ivy Bridge.

Apple fail. (Or Apple marketing decision to try to push some proprietary technology over something useful.)

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Well Apple's cable was $49.99 in 2011, and it's still $49.99 now…

Yes, because Intel is still the sole manufacturer for the controllers and Apple's still the sole volume buyer of those cables. Intel also have a strong certification project for all third-party manufacturers to go through, this takes extra time to deliver more products to the market. We won't see any progress until '14 at least.

Read Ars' article on why this is still pricy.

That is a problem I agree, but as drivers improve that'll be mitigated to some extent. FW devices can write directly to memory locations, bypassing the CPU altogether. I presume that's the same case with TB. USB has to go through the CPU first.

As almost always is the case, software is cheaper than hardware. Which is really the main reason USB is cheaper than TB, the protocol is handled almost entirely by the CPU. Trouble is, USB works well enough for most, and as with Betamax and VHS, the cheapest product unfortunately always seems to "win".

It may be cheaper but it's not in the companies' interests to improve the drivers. It is extremely difficult to optimize drivers to speed it up more, companies rather throw more money into hardware to speed it up than to maintain a department of super-smart engineers slaving over the work that can take years to complete.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

It is early days yet, and it is a high end bus for high end non-consumer type tasks. Thunderbolt is essentially PCIe on a cable.

If you need thunderbolt, USB is not going to cut it.

Most people don't do anything high end so they don't need it.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
You mean 10 Gb/s ("GB/s" means 10^9 bytes per second, whereas "Gb/s" means 10^9 bits per second).

And how is T-Bolt at 10 Gb/s "much faster" than the new 10 Gb/s USB proposal?

I'm aware of the difference between GB and Gb. It was a typo, sheesh.

Thunderbolt currently provides 10Gb/s per lane. It has four lanes. Two in, two out. So Thunderbolt actually offers a theoretical 40Gb/s of collective bandwidth.

Also by the time this comes out Intel will likely have TB controllers that can handle 20Gb/s per lane.

Last edited:

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
Yes, because Intel is still the sole manufacturer for the controllers and Apple's still the sole volume buyer of those cables.

Well it didn't take two years for third party Lightning cables to appear, they were around in a matter of weeks...

It may be cheaper but it's not in the companies' interests to improve the drivers. It is extremely difficult to optimize drivers to speed it up more, companies rather throw more money into hardware to speed it up than to maintain a department of super-smart engineers slaving over the work that can take years to complete.

Yes it can be expensive to write (decent) drivers, but the OEMs don't care, the drivers are already written and are effectively free with the USB3 chip. The OEMs tend to go with what's cheapest and right now, USB3 is, so that's what gets plonked on most PCs sold. If Intel had Thunderbolt integrated in the system controller chip that's essential for every Intel PC to work, then manufacturers would spend a few dollars more putting a TB port on the PC to scrape a few more sales. But considering TB is yet to reach a critical mass, very few OEMs will take a $30 hit on a port that probably won't get them any more sales at all.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Hmmm. 2015. By then TB 2.0 fiber will be entrenched. Intel and Apple are both backing it and the other "standards" will be on the "many" PC's.

"Entrenched"?! I think that is a bit optimistic.

TB barely has a foothold in the PC market.

TB is dead in the consumer market ... it's last remaining hope is to have some success with the pros. But considering how Apple has neutered the iMac and has not put much love into the Mac Pro ... TB has a very steep hill to climb.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
But even Intel was putting the NEC USB 3.0 chip in their systems/motherboards long before Ivy Bridge.

Apple fail. (Or Apple marketing decision to try to push some proprietary technology over something useful.)

I think it is more of an Intel fail. In case you haven't noticed, Apple supports USB 3.0 now that it is built into Ivy Bridge. Unlike some PC manufacturers, they don't bother putting "extra" USB 2.0 ports.

Also, Intel owns Thunderbolt, and it is up to them to get PC manufacturers to support it. They had a chance when they wrote the 2013 Ultrabook specs, but they decided not to make it mandatory. Had they done so, it might have taken off. Heck, there are manufacturers (like ASUS) who are putting in Micro-HDMI and Micro-VGA ports into their Ultrabooks. This still needs an adapter to connect to a "real" monitor. There's no good reason why Intel couldn't have insisted upon Thunderbolt, since it supports HDMI and VGA adapters, as well. It's also up to Intel to resolve some of the incompatibilities and quirks (such as what can happen when a basic Displayport device is at the end of a Thunderbolt chain).

I agree that after 2 years, Thunderbolt is starting to look like Firewire redux, but it isn't all on Apple.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Restoring an entire user from an external drive when the internal HD fails.

A bigger reason is likely to compete with thunderbolt. Because, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you will ever actually get 10 GB/s copying anything because the CPU can't handle that transfer speed. It's just that standards are prepared for the faster speeds of the future.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Pro users handling hundreds of GB of data (audio, video, etc.) on a daily basis, for example.

If a pro had to handle that much data a Fibre Channel SAN might be a better choice than a DAS. Just saying... large local storage arrays is only a very specific application - and probably one that won't sustain TB for the long term.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Considering there are not many USB 3.0 devices out there, I don't expect this development to be anything special. I'm would like to see more mobile handsets (including iDevices) compatible with USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
And Blu-Ray both won the format war and was the superior technology.

Eh, both formats had the advantages and disadvantages. Blu-Ray can store more data, and the discs are more durable, but has considerably longer seek times due to the fact that it must physical speed up or slow down when moving to a different part of the disc. This is why early PS3 games were so dependent on HDD installs. (later ones reduced the need for this by copy critical data to several areas of the disc.)

SCalkins

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
Indianapolis, IN

Your exactly right:

http://m.cnet.com/news/optical-thunderbolt-cables-in-mass-production-coming-soon/57561610

Because its completely pointless for a Fortune 500 company to support a product "that's not catching in any serious way". If your comparing it to the IPhone I agree, it's not catching "in any serious way".

msandersen

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Sydney, Australia
In my experience, USB3 is not performing to its theoretical potential. For example, there are problems with driver performance where the device driver loads the CPU to an extent that if you try to perform multiple tasks on a computer while using the USB3 port, the overall performance can be less than USB2! (I have a documented case of this for a machine-vision camera application.)...
Reminiscent of USB2, which in all marketing material I've seen on the side of boxes quotes 480Mb/s, which in the Firewire 400 days was theoretically faster; at no time have I ever seen an asterisk stating * Actual transfer speeds may be less. USB and Firewire, and now its successor Thunderbolt, are different speeds incorporating their own dedicated controller speeds, which makes them more expensive but also more reliable with constant transfer speeds that doesn't tax the CPU. While USB2 could theoretically reach 480mb/s in bursts, actual speeds transferring any decent amount of data is closer to 280-300 Mb/s. This false marketing was effective though, USB is a 'known' quantity to most, something familiar with a similar plug. USB 3 has the advantage of its name and backwards compatibility. Presumably this new 'super-duper speed' or whatever they decide to call it will presumably feed off the same legacy. We won't hear about any backwards compatibility issues, whereas pros and industries which truly need fast cabling will do their own testing and will go for what suits their purpose as long as the peripherals are there, which likely will be Thunderbolt for a litany of reasons. But will the Pro market be enough to sustain Thunderbolt? It wasn't with Firewire. Apple is counting on Thunderbolt being their edge in the Pro market.

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
I'd take 4 USB 3.0 ports over 2 USB 3.0 and 2 TB ports on my rMBP any day of the week. By the time TB takes off, IF it takes off, I'll be looking to buy a new computer anyways, so they are essentially worthless for my purposes.

solamar

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
TB is going 100GB,

TB is going 100GB, sooooo kinda this is more of a keep up move on USB's part..

IF you even consider them on the same usage scenario..

Thunderbolt is PCIe port on a cable.. One major difference and use, is true docking stations for laptops.. where you can get an external box, with PCI slots, and use true high-end video cards and other add-ons cards you could never put on a laptop with 100GB bus speeds. Disconnect, you're on the move and when back at your home/office, you're running a high-end system.

I know a few (I think Belkin was one) have working TB Dock models focused on this; scheduled for release in 2013.. Now I have to look them up again.. been a few months..

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Happy to see this, provided the external USB 3.0 SuperSpeed devices are not overly expensive.

Although even if they are priced similarly to Thunderbolt, USB 3.0 SuperSpeed will still be a much better alternative, as It's backwards compatible. That'll mean we can hook it up to much older hardware, without having to worry about adapters and that crap..

I really like the way USB is going..

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Buh-bye Thunderbolt. It was nice knowing you. Or not.

Actually, only a very tiny number of people got to know you. Oh well. Those folks can throw their Thunderbolt cables into the drawer beside the old FireWire cables.

unless of course, they use them for multiple displays yeah?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.