Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
That is Lubuntu, he had issues with Ubuntu, which was why I asked what he is looking for.

For 800MHz G4 why would anyone want a distro tat is somehow "slow" even in much more recent machines?
Guess if anyone wants OSX performance level or even better, the best bet is going for the lightest ditros available, lubuntu may be one of them.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
For 800MHz G4 why would anyone want a distro tat is somehow "slow" even in much more recent machines?
Guess if anyone wants OSX performance level or even better, the best bet is going for the lightest ditros available, lubuntu may be one of them.

I agree completely. I don't know why one would want to install Ubuntu.

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
Im looking for a version of ubuntu that can run gnome 3 so it doesnt really matter as long it has that gui. Im up for suggestions like xubuntu or lubuntu as long as my previous statement can be fulfilled.

----------

I agree completely. I don't know why one would want to install Ubuntu.

You see i disagree, ubuntu isnt getting slower its unity to blame ive used ubuntu on a pentium 2 before with unity but when i switched to gnome 3 on top of it being more organized it was unbelievably faster.

----------

1. The last thing we need is another browser

2. Chrome is mainly closed source, so the best it could do is look like Chrome, which can be achieved with addons for Firefox.

Chrome would be nice but like you said is we dont need another browser we need a developer to update the ones we have to be more modern for browsing and to be further optimized.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012

2. Chrome is mainly closed source, so the best it could do is look like Chrome, which can be achieved with addons for Firefox.

No, what about chromium? I believe it is open source...

----------

http://www.chromium.org/

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Hello fellow mac enthusiasts,
Firstly, a bit about me.
I ma a 15 year old web developer who used to do his work on a Power Mac G4,
Dual 500mhz.
Due to financial reasons, I had to sell my Power Mac :(
Soon, I am going to buy a used 2010 mac mini, and would like to start developing applications for Macs.
I decided to try and fulfill the desprate need for new apps on PowerPC Macs.

So, if you have any requests (I can't promise anything since I am new to mac development), I will try to develop that app.

Thanks for your time,
Bar Rotstein

I suggest getting a power mac G5 quad...
Make apps 64 bit with multi core support, even the G5s need maximum speed.
A 64 bit recompile of java would be nice.

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
No, what about chromium? I believe it is open source...

----------

http://www.chromium.org/

I talked about this on the other page, but to sum it up:

Chromium is completely open source, but we won't see it on PPC any time soon because of V8. V8 is Google's JavaScript engine and is pretty difficult to port to PPC due to its complexity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.