Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

$MacUser$

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2005
Los Angeles
Hey guys I just got an iPad 4, and coming from an iPad one this is a pretty big upgrade. In particular I like Siri for dictating emails, messages and web searchs, and the new screen is great. Internet browsing is also vastly improved without lag or other anomalies but I have noticed tabs do reload if I have a bunch open. With faster overall load times and with the greater number of tabs I'm able to keep in memory at once this isn't a major issue but I thought after four generations you'd pretty much be able to max out safari with no reloading. Guess I guessed wrong on that one?

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
...after four generations you'd pretty much be able to max out safari with no reloading. Guess I guessed wrong on that one?

Have you ever heard of a thing called Random Access Memory? That severely limits a devices capability when it features a small amount.

S

syd430

Just be glad you don't have a Mini with its paltry 512 MB of RAM

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Just be glad you don't have a Mini with its paltry 512 MB of RAM

While iOS only shows 10 tabs open, I have 14 open on my iPad mini without any issues.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 70

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
But can you access all the tabs without any of them reloading?

With 10 open, some reload and some don't. I honestly don't see why anyone would have maybe more than 4 or 5 though. You can only view one at a time and at that point, it doesn't matter if the page reloads. Well, to me anyway.

$MacUser$

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2005
Los Angeles
I'm kind of crazy when I get researching. Ten tabs+ open constantly switching back cross-checking information.

And yes, Hebrew, I have heard of RAM. I just assumed having four times as much would all but eliminate reloading. I suppose I was wrong.

Even still, with faster page loads and more pages stored in memory overall when compared to Pad 1, this is a great upgrade. I guess it'll be a few more gens before this goes away entirely.

S

syd430

I honestly don't see why anyone would have maybe more than 4 or 5 though. You can only view one at a time and at that point

I want to digest a large amount of information in the most efficient way possible. If i'm researching something, I tend to max out the tab limit by opening pages in the background from a search results page for instance.

Even when casually browsing, I can easily max out at 24 tabs by opening in the background articles that interest me from news aggregators and then quickly churn through them one by one.

I'm sure there are plenty of other people out there that use their ipad in this way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.