Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poetz143

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Does anyone have a mother board upgrade guide.
I have an older mac pro.
And I want to upgrade to DDR3 Ram.

Probably a common question, but I don't see any threads.

I don't know where to start when it comes to these things.

Jake0604

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Does anyone have a mother board upgrade guide.
I have an older mac pro.
And I want to upgrade to DDR3 Ram.

Probably a common question, but I don't see any threads.

I don't know where to start when it comes to these things.

If your motherboard currently takes DDR2 you cannot upgrade it to DDR3.

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
As others have stated, you cannot upgrade the motherboard, you have to buy a different model Mac Pro, so you would need at least a 4,1 to use DDR3 RAM.

WillieWill

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2013
What about getting older mac pro motherboards?

I've been looking up older mac pro's because I can't wait to see what Apple will do next. Although the 21.5" iMac's 5400rpm hard disk is said to be faster than older 7200rpm's, I don't want to buy that iMac until someone confirms they can open and upgrade the hard drive.

In either case, I want to buy an older motherboard. Any recommendations on where to get it?

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
I've been looking up older mac pro's because I can't wait to see what Apple will do next. Although the 21.5" iMac's 5400rpm hard disk is said to be faster than older 7200rpm's, I don't want to buy that iMac until someone confirms they can open and upgrade the hard drive.

In either case, I want to buy an older motherboard. Any recommendations on where to get it?

You can upgrade the hard drive in any iMac, its just a little tricky because you have to disassemble and take off the front screen, but it can be done, there are youtube videos on how to do it. What older motherboard are you looking for? For a Mac Pro or iMac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.