Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I get that the Mini is not retina but people who say its a pain reading text, especially in the web browser, might wanna get there eyes checked. Yes it's not as sharp as my 3 was or my iPhone 5 but its a really nice screen. I've been browsing the web and replying to threads all day on this thing and text is just fine. It's also a really bright display and I have it set at maybe 60% auto.

We all have been spoiled by the retina display...

Back to topic...no regrets at all ditching the 3 for a Mini. Even if the next gen is not retina I will be upgrading because more RAM and a faster processor would make this little guy beastly.

All my opinion of course ;)

jqc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Really?
because all I really do is read books, comics and magazines- surf web....and I find the fuzzy text very distracting vs the retina.
I tried the mini for a week then went back to the 3.
I gave the mini to son- who only plays games.

yeah- the full size is heavier- but still smaller than average
newstand magazine.

6 years ago- when most lugged around 15inch laptops- NO one would be complaining about the size and weight of a full size iPad. That said, mini with the retina screen is going to be a fantastic device.

Yep, it really hasnt bothered me. And Im someone who couldnt stand reading books and magazines on my ipad 2 after seeing the retina 3. With the mini I tend to hold it a fair distance from my face, maybe a foot and a half or so, and the fuzziness is limited at that distance. Note I hold it this way a) because the fuzziness is minimized and b) because its light enough to do so. The iPad was to heavy to hold like that for any period of time, so I think thats part of it. I also havent found magazines like GQ, Vanity Fair, Distro, etc. any harder to read either.

Im surprised as any about this, but a pleasant surprise it is.

Tnteach

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2013
i am thinking of switching to the ipad mini i have the ipad 3 now. i use my ipad to read surf the web nd play games. and for work i use to read documents and spreadsheets. i was wondering if any went and switched to the mini after having the large size and and what where your thoughts or should i not do it at this time.

I had an iPad 2 sold it and then purchased the iPad 4. Loved the retina display but found it to be very heavy. I bought my daughter the mini for Christmas and I found myself wishing that I had one as well. I returned my iPad and got the mini. No regrets. It is perfect for what I use it for, web surfing, games, reading, and checking email.
The size and it's portability make up for the non retina display in my opinion.

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I bought the Mini first to compare with my Nexus 7 (which I've since returned), and then bought the iPad 4 really to see if retina was worth the bump. I loved the screen... really loved it. However, the portability and lightweight aspects of the Mini were too much of a plus. Returned and back with the Mini. Not a single regret.

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
I had an iPad 2 sold it and then purchased the iPad 4. Loved the retina display but found it to be very heavy. I bought my daughter the mini for Christmas and I found myself wishing that I had one as well. I returned my iPad and got the mini. No regrets. It is perfect for what I use it for, web surfing, games, reading, and checking email.
The size and it's portability make up for the non retina display in my opinion.
Did the same lol

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
I use mine mostly to surf the web. Had it for about 12 hours now. Still not use to the low res screen. I'm waiting to get use to it. But I love the size, weight and feel.

New2MacOS

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2008
I travel with an 11-inch MB Air and an iPad3 64 WiFi+4G with a Logitech ultra-slim bluetooth keyboard; however, my iPad3 now stays at home after buying a 32-GB WiFi iPad mini a couple of weeks ago.

I simply love the mini -- it does all of what I do with the 3.
(1) Yes, the display on the mini is not as sharp as the display on my 3, but it does not bother me--my 50+ year-old pair of eyes are no longer that discriminating. I will say, though, that I don't play video games, and I rarely watch movies on the iPad.
(2) The size of the mini is just perfect. it is lighter, and easier to hold with one hand. The mini is more portable than the 3, and I have more flexibility in carrying it around -- from carrying it in a pocket in my suit/sportscoat/jacket to a mini messenger bag (Victorinox Werks Professional Analyst) to a backpack (Tumi Alpha Bravo Knox).
(3) Also, I don't enjoy working on spreadsheets on the iPad3 (that's what the MB Air is for).

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
I just got a Mini yesterday (still have an iPad 3 for now) i'm not regretting it, the weight is so much better and its no slower than the 3. Although for me there appear to be a couple of compromises,
- The colour gamut or black levels aren't as good. Image dont "pop" in the way they do on an iPad 3/4. Although the lack of Retina isn't as big a deal as it i thought it might be.
- Larger websites with complex formatting and small text which were readable on a full size ipad require alot of zooming as the text is way too small. Admittedly my eyesight isn't great so this isnt an issue with the device.

If your a gamer i'd recommend a Mini over a full sized one. IMO the smaller size and weight just suit handheld gaming more

The color gamut compared to the iPad 3’s near 100% accuracy is what really killed the mini for me, returned it and only keeping the 3 for now because I just can't justify having two iPads along with the iP5! Anyway, I rarely see the color reproduction of the mini's display mentioned, as everyone seems so obsessed with PPI instead.

Personally, I realized that I use my iPad 3's theoretically "perfect" color reproduction and display (the best display in the house) to proof my design work quite a bit, and the mini was subpar to my 2012 MacBook Air in its color accuracy, so there'd be no point. Also, I noticed that looking at photos in general was "less fun" on the mini for this same reason, whereas on the iPad 3 my pictures practically leap off the screen with vivid realism, I just love it. :)

I agree that the mini is awesome for all the reasons stated in this thread, but I also must say that the feeling of "going back" to the iPad 3 after using the mini a couple of weeks was that the iPad 3's screen was HUGE all of the sudden! If you use your iPad for creative or productivity apps, that bigger screen is nice for all the same reasons a 21" iMac is a nicer machine for FCP and Logic than an 11" MBA running the same software.

Long story slightly longer, there is not a one-size-fits-all answer to which device is best for an individual user's needs, pun intended. :)

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
The color gamut compared to the iPad 3’s near 100% accuracy is what really killed the mini for me, returned it and only keeping the 3 for now because I just can't justify having two iPads along with the iP5! Anyway, I rarely see the color reproduction of the mini's display mentioned, as everyone seems so obsessed with PPI instead.

Personally, I realized that I use my iPad 3's theoretically "perfect" color reproduction and display (the best display in the house) to proof my design work quite a bit, and the mini was subpar to my 2012 MacBook Air in its color accuracy, so there'd be no point. Also, I noticed that looking at photos in general was "less fun" on the mini for this same reason, whereas on the iPad 3 my pictures practically leap off the screen with vivid realism, I just love it. :)

I agree that the mini is awesome for all the reasons stated in this thread, but I also must say that the feeling of "going back" to the iPad 3 after using the mini a couple of weeks was that the iPad 3's screen was HUGE all of the sudden! If you use your iPad for creative or productivity apps, that bigger screen is nice for all the same reasons a 21" iMac is a nicer machine for FCP and Logic than an 11" MBA running the same software.

Long story slightly longer, there is not a one-size-fits-all answer to which device is best for an individual user's needs, pun intended. :)

i agree with everything you've said. People seem to be obsessed with the PPI/Retina thing when there is much more to it than that. If colour accuracy is a deal breaker the Mini isn't the model for you right now.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I knew I was getting the mini as soon as it was announced, that was the size I had wanted all along. As soon as it was available, I put my iPad 3 up for sale. No regrets at all, and like others have said, I was concerned the screen would be an issue.

Funny thing was for Christmas my employer gave us all iPad 4's to work with on the road. I periodically use it, but I find I always grab for my Mini.

I find it easier to type on with my 2 thumbs, particularly when I am logging my day while in my car.....not as easy on the 4.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I don't use my 3 anymore, partly because my girlfriend has nabbed it, but contrary to many, I find it easier to read from the Mini due to the scale of it being less overwhelming than the larger iPad. Line length appears shorter, so my eyes don't get lost as easily whilst reading.

kimovski

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
Macau
I sold my ipad3, then got the mini, absolutely no regret at all. About the screen, it took me some time to forget the retina on the ipad3 now just fine and happy at all. So smaller and lighter, is just a perfect size to go all around with it.
No complaints :D

jraske

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
I have an iPad Mini and the iPad 4. The Mini has become my go-to device for content consumption, the one I use on the sofa, when traveling around the city, etc. The form factor has won me over, despite the fact the screen is pretty poor in comparison to the retina iPads.

The iPad 4 has become my "laptop" replacement . . . When I travel to other cities and want a more powerful device, or I am editing photos, or am creating content, the larger form factor and retina display trump the Mini's form factor.

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
I initially brought the mini but returned it as I missed the cellular part. Now I have a cellular version I am happy as use it whilst my bigger ipad is charging and vice versa.I would hate it as my only iPad, but having both make sit bearable to deal with the short comings of both.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I use mine mostly to surf the web. Had it for about 12 hours now. Still not use to the low res screen. I'm waiting to get use to it. But I love the size, weight and feel.

Use mobile website versions whenever possible, use landscape mode as well and you can even use Perect Browser or Mercury Browser and adjust the font size.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Use mobile website versions whenever possible, use landscape mode as well and you can even use Perect Browser or Mercury Browser and adjust the font size.

Personally font size is just fine. All you gotta do is double tap in areas you want to read...plus you can use Reader for most pages if needed.

Also, I like having iCloud Tabs on the go and bookmarks all is sync with Safari..no other 3rd party browser can match that.

It's all about the ecosystem :D

iamartimus

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted

My daughter adopted my ipad 2 and I don't even want it back. Love the mini!

juliuspierpont

macrumors member
May 11, 2007
Another iPad3 to iPad mini converter. I use it a lot more than I was using the iPad3, mostly due to how nice it feels to hold. I can read for hours and it isn't uncomfortable. (First guy who makes a crack about hitting the gym...:mad:)

I won't be getting one of the big iPads again. I have to admit that if they release a retina version of the mini I'll buy it, because I do notice a pixel here and there if I look closely. But to me the resolution isn't a factor. The size trumps it.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
No regrets but I did pick up a Ipad 4 after selling my 3 for a mini, and I do see the difference in retina and it's important in things like magazine and comic viewing, but those things are definitely still doable on the mini, I use my Ipad 4 on my couch, but the mini still travels outside the home exclusively

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.