Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Now, i'm a massive vmware fanboy (been using it since Workstation 1.0), but this simply isn't true.

IF the game works, it may be acceptable, but very few of the games I want to play actually work in fusion yet - let alone perform anywhere near the same.

Yes I am up to date, and yes I've tried them.

Speaking from experience, I have run Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary and Underworld - all Windows code versions - in Fusion VMs. In Fusion 3, Underworld, the most graphically advanced of the 3, ran with a slight lag and occasional rendering imperfections. Upon upgrading to Fusion 5 a marked improvement was noted, in that rendering was virtually flawless and there was no visible lag. As I have also run Underworld in native Windows (boot camp); comparing the two experiences I would give Fusion 9.5/10. Ah, this is with Win7 on an i5 with 8GB.

----------

not for games... which runs like 25% to 50% the performance.

Also Parallels 8 is the highest performance for gaming with a VM, and even has some DX10 support.

I would say "Suck it and see", hazarding a guess that you are speaking theoretically rather than from experience.

In publicised tests, Fusion 5 and Parallels 8 receive equal marks. Personal preference is for Fusion; 'It simply works', to quote somebody. :apple:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Speaking from experience, I have run Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary and Underworld - all Windows code versions - in Fusion VMs. In Fusion 3, Underworld, the most graphically advanced of the 3, ran with a slight lag and occasional rendering imperfections. Upon upgrading to Fusion 5 a marked improvement was noted, in that rendering was virtually flawless and there was no visible lag. As I have also run Underworld in native Windows (boot camp); comparing the two experiences I would give Fusion 9.5/10. Ah, this is with Win7 on an i5 with 8GB.

Unless things have changed drastically:

- Falcon 4 Allied Force- does not work
- Hitman - does not work
- Sacred - too slow to be playable

A bunch of other stuff I tested doesn't work either.

Bearing in mind - much of the stuff I try and run in a VM doesn't run under Windows 7 either (I already have an install of Windows 7 on real hardware if i want to play Win7 games) - i'm trying to run it in VMs of Windows XP or Windows 98...

My point was that VMs are not a silver bullet for gaming by any stretch.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Unless things have changed drastically:

- Falcon 4 Allied Force- does not work
- Hitman - does not work
- Sacred - too slow to be playable

A bunch of other stuff I tested doesn't work either.

Bearing in mind - much of the stuff I try and run in a VM doesn't run under Windows 7 either (I already have an install of Windows 7 on real hardware if i want to play Win7 games) - i'm trying to run it in VMs of Windows XP or Windows 98...

My point was that VMs are not a silver bullet for gaming by any stretch.

I would suggest to first have a game and OS combination that works on native h/w, then test that pairing in the latest Fusion 5 VM. Talking about stuff that you know doesn't run on an OS, and probably tested on an outdated version of Fusion, doesn't do much except cloud the issue with confusion.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
Windows 8 is great especially for us mac users that only want it to run steam. It starts in seconds and once you know how to click on the GIANT button labeled desktop it looks the same as windows 7.

The internet hates windows 8 because the internet is just one giant troll nowadays.
Dont go any other route than Windows 8 bootcamp steam.
Startup in 8 is so quick it now makes this option pretty seamless.

Im running a 2011 imac with SSD...for super fast reboot.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I would suggest to first have a game and OS combination that works on native h/w, then test that pairing in the latest Fusion 5 VM. Talking about stuff that you know doesn't run on an OS, and probably tested on an outdated version of Fusion, doesn't do much except cloud the issue with confusion.

I've run all of the above natively in the same OS, but not in either Fusion 5 or Workstation 9.

My point is that VM for games is not perfect, particularly with older software that wasn't built for DirectX9 originally.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
PC games, in particular, have become popular among gamers due to the ability to play a variety of games on a single machine that also has more practical purposes such as Internet browsing and word processing. ways to play PC games vary based on both the game and the player.

That was interesting. :) Got any more revelations you care to share with us? :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
That was interesting. :) Got any more revelations you care to share with us? :)

Yes Yoghurt is a dairy product, often available with fruit or on its own both sweetened and unsweetened.

PC gamers can eat yoghurt with a spoon.

A spoon is an implement consisting of a small, shallow oval or round bowl on a long handle.

This should not be confused with spooning, which is a different thing, but one should find remarkable reading material on google via your PC which as we have already been informed can be used for games and for Internet browsing.... Spooning does however make a very pleasant multiplayer game.

Last edited:

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
PC games, in particular, have become popular among gamers due to the ability to play a variety of games on a single machine that also has more practical purposes such as Internet browsing and word processing. ways to play PC games vary based on both the game and the player.

Hm...huh ?

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Yes Yoghurt is a dairy product, often available with fruit or on its own both sweetened and unsweetened.

PC gamers can eat yoghurt with a spoon.

A spoon is an implement consisting of a small, shallow oval or round bowl on a long handle.

This should not be confused with spooning, which is a different thing, but one should find remarkable reading material on google via your PC which as we have already been informed can be used for games and for Internet browsing.... Spooning does however make a very pleasant multiplayer game.

There is no spoon.

marieweaver132

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2012
Best way to play PC game

In windows 8, I played the games, and it's too facilitative to any users and always; I am using new version for PC games. So it's a very easy to play games.*

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

In windows 8, I played the games, and it's too facilitative to any users and always; I am using new version for PC games. So it's a very easy to play games.*

Do you two write for the Huffington Post ?

:p

Seriously guys, I realise English is probably neither of your first languages, but your posts make very little sense sadly. It's like Google Translate has been used to post these, or someone at Wikipedia has offered you information on Grammar structure .....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.