Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Hi everyone,

I wanted to order one of the new iMac's but i saw that the dispatch date simply says "January" for the 27" (the one i want to order) are there no specific times like 7-10 days?

January now gone for the UK store. It's gone to 3-4 weeks (hello February!)

Dave26

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
UK
Thank you for the advice :)

I just ordered the following iMac:

3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
•
16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X8GB
•
3TB Fusion Drive
•
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
•
Apple Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad
•
Apple Wireless Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)
•
Apple Battery Charger

It will be my first iMac, really hope its worth the wait!!!!

RichMercer

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
Rugby, UK
My iMac is due to be delivered today but I have to leave for Germany at about 2pm today and won't be back until Thursday. Fingers crossed it arrives soon so I can have a quick play with it before I have to leave! :)

michaelmac

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006

•
•
3TB Fusion Drive
•
•
•
•
Apple Battery Charger

Sure it will be - great specs here. Would have plumped for RAM upgrade via Crucial though for big savings (you could have gone for 32Gb and had change from the £160 Apple UK charge for 16!). Still time to change!

Dave26

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
UK
Sure it will be - great specs here. Would have plumped for RAM upgrade via Crucial though for big savings (you could have gone for 32Gb and had change from the £160 Apple UK charge for 16!). Still time to change!

I plan on using the iMac for university video editing work, general everyday use and playing a few games such as the Sims 3. I did use the HE University and got a discount (I think it was a round £300). The RAM i will upgrade in the future if i need it. 16GB i'm hoping will be enough for the time being. I'm hoping the machine will last at least 3 years (the length of my university course). As i've had PC's in the past that have only lasted 2 years :mad:

michaelmac

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006
I plan on using the iMac for university video editing work, general everyday use and playing a few games such as the Sims 3. I did use the HE University and got a discount (I think it was a round £300). The RAM i will upgrade in the future if i need it. 16GB i'm hoping will be enough for the time being. I'm hoping the machine will last at least 3 years (the length of my university course). As i've had PC's in the past that have only lasted 2 years :mad:

It will be a superb machine for what you describe - I am still using a 24" 2007 iMac (while I wait for my new one) for Final Cut Pro work etc., and it is still fine. I suspect I will notice the difference somewhat though with the new one!

They have a good resale value too so even if you do change in 3-years you will have a nice sum towards a new one. I suspect this spec will be more than usable in many more years to come though.

The point I made about RAM is that Apple are notorious in how much of a premium they add to RAM pricing (even with HE discounts). Many of us by the minimum RAM spec from Apple then head off to Crucial to buy RAM that you can easily add yourself. I suspect that, even with the HE discount, the price of 32Gb from Crucial is the same or less than 16Gb from Apple. Buy the Crucial RAM and sell the Apple sticks for even more savings!

Enjoy your iMac - head over to the tracking spreadsheet to see delivery times (and to add yours!).

Dave26

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
UK
Thank you :)

I will be using Final Cut Pro which is why i also opted for the fusion drive to see if it will make any difference to editing and exporting (to external hard drive for university). You still use an iMac from 2007? if its lasted that long then they really do seem to have a long life :)

The RAM i think i will get from Crucial then when i upgrade to 32GB thanks for the heads up :) That is the only thing that annoys me about Apple, they tend to add premium prices to somethings such as the RAM.

Do i add my delivery time to the tracking spreadsheet once its been delivered? not used this before so please excuse my novice questions.

michaelmac

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006
Thank you :)

I will be using Final Cut Pro which is why i also opted for the fusion drive to see if it will make any difference to editing and exporting (to external hard drive for university). You still use an iMac from 2007? if its lasted that long then they really do seem to have a long life :)

The RAM i think i will get from Crucial then when i upgrade to 32GB thanks for the heads up :) That is the only thing that annoys me about Apple, they tend to add premium prices to somethings such as the RAM.

Do i add my delivery time to the tracking spreadsheet once its been delivered? not used this before so please excuse my novice questions.

I only use FCP for amateur use but have edited several 90min HD drama group videos and, even with 4gb RAM, it gets there!

The spreadsheet is purely optional. It was setup by someone tracking orders for the new iMac. It helps to pass the time while you wait for your new toy! And, yes add the dates once you get to the prep, shipping, received stages!

Dave26

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
UK
I only use FCP for amateur use but have edited several 90min HD drama group videos and, even with 4gb RAM, it gets there!

The spreadsheet is purely optional. It was setup by someone tracking orders for the new iMac. It helps to pass the time while you wait for your new toy! And, yes add the dates once you get to the prep, shipping, received stages!

Yea i've done that now, entered in all spec details. Just the waiting part now. I have noticed (as mentioned by someone else in a previous post) that the shipping date (for UK Apple online) has changed from "January" to 3-4 Weeks.

Griffinjar

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012

•
•
3TB Fusion Drive
•
•
•
•
Apple Battery Charger

Your clearly minted!!! Fair play

----------

Yea i've done that now, entered in all spec details. Just the waiting part now. I have noticed (as mentioned by someone else in a previous post) that the shipping date (for UK Apple online) has changed from "January" to 3-4 Weeks.

On the topi of macs still working I have a low spec white MacBook from early 2006. It still works really well for everyday use. It does take its time but it is far from dead.

They are very well built machines and do last a very long time if you keep them updated. Every 12 -18 months I fully erase the hard drive and rebuild from time machine. This brings it back to life a bit each time.

When my new imac is up and running I plan to put a small SSD hard drive in to boost speed on everyday use and use it as a laptop again rather than its current use as the all and everything machine it clearly can't handle being anymore.

jonestheblue

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
North Wales
Long time lurker...first time poster!! Hello all and I promise I'll try not to ask too many daft questions!!

Order on December 11th

2.9GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
1TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIAGeFrc GTX660M 512M GDDR5
MAGIC TRACKPAD-Z
Apple USB SuperDrive

(32gb from Crucial)

Still processing and showing as dispatching January

*must remain patient...must remain patient* :D

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
I ordered 5th December 2012

i5 - 680MX - Fusion

Went from processing to preparing for shipment 4/01/2013
Went from preparing for shipment to shipped today 07/01/2013

Delivery expected 14/01/2013

Dave26

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
UK
Your clearly minted!!! Fair play

----------

On the topi of macs still working I have a low spec white MacBook from early 2006. It still works really well for everyday use. It does take its time but it is far from dead.

They are very well built machines and do last a very long time if you keep them updated. Every 12 -18 months I fully erase the hard drive and rebuild from time machine. This brings it back to life a bit each time.

Not minted just broke the bank with my student loan :)

This will be my first iMac but i have heard people say that Macs last a long time. I personally plan to keep it for as long as it works (that way i'm getting my moneys worth. By maxing out the spec i planned to "future proof" it as much as possible. Just got to wait now, and be patient :rolleyes:

captjon

macrumors member
May 3, 2012
There is a van somewhere in Northumberland with my computer on it. I hope it arrives before 5pm as i have to go out!

nihilisten

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2011
look i get that you guys are excited about your machines ariving but your posts are pretty useless without further information about when you ordered.

Edit: i ordered mine 27/12 and im still obviously processing (un-uselessified my post if someone felt the urge to flame)

Last edited:

captjon

macrumors member
May 3, 2012
It's here (i7, 680MX, 8GB, 1TB Fusion)! And is big...

Just ran geek bench and it got 13074 - i'm happy with that as it is more than twice as fast as my work MBP (6074) :D

Ordered the evening of release day. Bought with apple's finance scheme.

Last edited:

Hitman.Killer

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Birmingham / UK
look i get that you guys are excited about your machines ariving but your posts are pretty useless without further information about when you ordered.

Edit: i ordered mine 27/12 and im still obviously processing (un-uselessified my post if someone felt the urge to flame)

That's a fair point guys, I think the most important use of this topic is to estimate a delivery and/or processing date form the day you ordered your iMac.
I ordered my iMac with following specs on 8th Dec, still showing 'Dispatched: January' :(

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
3TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIAGeFrc GTX 680MX 2G GDDR5
MAGIC TRACKPAD-Z
Apple WL Kybd+User's Guide-B
COUNTRY KIT-B

+ Thunderbolt Cable & Apple Care

Can't wait! :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.