Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vapor matt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
UK
Iam toying with selling my Mac pro! I just dont use it anymore

5.1 Hex core 3.33ghz
24 gig Ram
PCIE SATA 3 Card
SATA 3 card vertex 3 120g solid state boot drive drive from SATA 3 card
SATA 2 vertex 2 solid state win 7 pro boot drive
1 TB 7200 internal drive
WD 2 TB firewire 800 External drive
GTX 680 2 X 6pin EVGA SC
Mac firewire webcam
Magic mouse
trackpad
Mac USB Keyboard
Mountain lion

with plenty of software if required!

all in unmarked condition as new!

what would you say its worth?

I would like an idea of what to ask for it

Iam based in the UK

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
Don't forget to state whether you have the original box and whether there is any AppleCare left on it. Also include the original RAM and GPU if you still have them. Buyers will also want to know if a monitor available too.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Wow.....

your Mac Pro is heavily modified/hacked. Taking my time to asses a price, I would said 950-1100 pounds tops. Good care of the machine and no cosmetic/functional issues in the equipment also helps to get a better price.

If the machine works flawless and without issues can be worth more. Take in account that the second-hand market is more oriented to price (the lower $$ figure) than to hardware modifications. Not so many people appreciates what had you done. With respect to software, that only is worth if you can transfer the licenses without problems and have intallers to give/share.

If selling through an online site, factor in shipping costs/fees

:):apple:

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

your Mac Pro is heavily modified/hacked. Taking my time to asses a price, I would said 950-1100 pounds tops. Good care of the machine and no cosmetic/functional issues in the equipment also helps to get a better price.

If the machine works flawless and without issues can be worth more. Take in account that the second-hand market is more oriented to price (the lower $$ figure) than to hardware modifications. Not so many people appreciates what had you done. With respect to software, that only is worth if you can transfer the licenses without problems and have intallers to give/share.

If selling through an online site, factor in shipping costs/fees

:):apple:

You mean upgraded? It's a Mac Pro, why would he need to hack anything?

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Forgive me....

and dont want to make a fuss, but the Hexacore processor can be qualified as a hack. Also the 3 USB 3.0 cards can be viewed for some people as a hack. Feel free to differ from my definition of hacking. But my original post says/uses the word modified....So, posts for the sake of posts?:confused:

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Okay

and dont want to make a fuss, but the Hexacore processor can be qualified as a hack. Also the 3 USB 3.0 cards can be viewed for some people as a hack. Feel free to differ from my definition of hacking. But my original post says/uses the word modified....So, posts for the sake of posts?:confused:

Because words matter when we describe things.

And we shouldn't be making up different definitions of hacking just because we like to use the word.

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
The value/market for a 2.66 modified to a Hex would probably be different from an original Hex.

I would be interested in the latter but not this due to potential warranty issues.

The differing valuations quoted here by members I think reflect these differences.

Great machine though. I wish I had bought an original hex just for the geeky wow of it. Looking forward to the upgrades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.