Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Hi,
I recently acquired an eMac g4 that has Tiger 10.4.11 installed which in turn has the classic environment within it 9.2.2. I got it because I want to play the Tomb Raider Trilogy series on it, that's the original TR1, 2 and 3 games. They all need the classic mode to run. Unfortunately however, the TR1 game is slightly buggy, the Lara figure has no midriff; between her top piece and shorts she is invisible or see-through! Also the passport feature has no words on it, to save, load, exit etc., although the pages do flip. The controls feature also don't work, ie. the keyboard and graphics customisation.

I can't see any way of fixing these things, that ONLY occur in the TR1 game, whilst the TR2 & 3 run faultlessly. I was thinking of making a dual boot mode on the machine with Mac OS 9 and 10 in separate partitions. Does anyone know if I could do that? Will this machine boot OS 9? Most importantly, would it fix the problem?

Any other helpful ideas?

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
My understanding was that you can *not* dual boot the consumer version, but that the education version (available in special configurations) was able to, for at least the initial run.

I would say try it, but clone your drive before you try it, so you can restore things back to they way things were, if it doesn't work out.

Looks like the full quote from the everymac site is:

Please note that the "Combo" drive configuration (M8950LL/A) is capable of booting in both MacOS 9 and MacOS X. The second "Combo" configuration (M9252LL/A) and "SuperDrive" configurations (M8951LL/A and M8951LL/A), however, *cannot* boot in MacOS 9. These are capable of running MacOS 9 applications within the MacOS X "Classic" environment provided by MacOS X 10.4.11 and earlier.

So...if you can't find the part number on the thing, see if you can burn a DVD. If you can, then you can't boot in OS 9. I would get the part number off the thing first...that would save you a lot of time and heartache, if you go through all the work to just find out it never would have worked in the first place.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
All eMacs that are 700Mhz and 800Mhz can boot OS 9.2.2. Some 1Ghz eMacs can boot OS 9.2.2, even with a SuperDrive. If your eMac has USB 1.1 ports, it can boot OS 9.2.2. Some of the later USB 1.1 models may have to be tinkered with before it'll install, by they'll run it.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Ok so looks like it will boot OS 9. Next thing is, can I make a USB stick and install OS 9 from there? I haven't burned a CD for years! I got a .dmg of 9.2.2 but I'm not sure how to get it onto a USB

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Ok so looks like it will boot OS 9. Next thing is, can I make a USB stick and install OS 9 from there? I haven't burned a CD for years! I got a .dmg of 9.2.2 but I'm not sure how to get it onto a USB

it will be terribly slow booting on usb 1.1 may I strongly recommend a firewire drive

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
it will be terribly slow booting on usb 1.1 may I strongly recommend a firewire drive

Hm. I'd love to but it's out of the question unfortunately. :/

I tried to restore the OS 9 .dmg to a USB stick in Disk Utility but I couldn't get it to work. Does anyone have any experience of how to do this?

jgreesonfay

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2013
Emac boot to Classic hassle

All eMacs that are 700Mhz and 800Mhz can boot OS 9.2.2. Some 1Ghz eMacs can boot OS 9.2.2, even with a SuperDrive. If your eMac has USB 1.1 ports, it can boot OS 9.2.2. Some of the later USB 1.1 models may have to be tinkered with before it'll install, by they'll run it.

Hi; I need to be able to boot an Emac I recently bought into Mac OS9, but I just read that the one I have which has a Superdrive isn't bootable into OS9. Your comment says it can be tinkered with to work. I don't know how to determine if my Emac has USB 1.1 or not. I don't have any documentation on it except for the System Profiler. It says the PCI Device IS is 0x0019and the revision ID is 0x0001 The Host Controller Driver is AppleUSBOHCI.

Any help you can offer me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim Greeson

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Hi; I need to be able to boot an Emac I recently bought into Mac OS9, but I just read that the one I have which has a Superdrive isn't bootable into OS9. Your comment says it can be tinkered with to work. I don't know how to determine if my Emac has USB 1.1 or not. I don't have any documentation on it except for the System Profiler. It says the PCI Device IS is 0x0019and the revision ID is 0x0001 The Host Controller Driver is AppleUSBOHCI.

Any help you can offer me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim Greeson

Connect a USB drive to that iMac and copy something large to it. If the copied data increments up by 1.5 megabytes, you have USB 1.1. If it goes up by increments larger than 1.5 megabytes, you have USB 2.0 and cannot run Mac OS 9.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Decode eMac's serial number with one of popular decoding sites (klantenservice or else) and you'll know exact model, production year etc. Then visit everymac.com and see what their database says about your particular model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.