Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Post after post and videos after videos, I've seen people say the ipad mini has a poor screen and that its slow. I'd like to get an ipad but people say the full ipad is too heavy if its not going to be used as a home device but for carrying around which is what I want it for. I've heard people say a better ipad mini might be out by March or something. I don't need one right now but I don't know what I should do. Get an ipad, a mini or wait for this better one.

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
I have both a full size ipad and a mini, retina is gorgeous for web browsing. This is my only real gripe with the mini. But I use both, so cant really complain.

korbearus10

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
California
I don't need one right now but I don't know what I should do. Get an ipad, a mini or wait for this better one.

All I can tell you is that if you don't need one right now, don't buy one -- yet.

If you really want one though, ask yourself how you'll be using your iPad. Will you be watching a lot of movies in HD? Will you want to carry it around a lot of places? You have to realize that the full iPad is rather heavy.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I'd want to use it for carrying around. I was going to buy the ipad mini but people keep talking about its poor screen quality (especially for those used to the iphone screen like me) and slowness which worries me. Is it really that bad?

roccobladr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
My iPad 4 has a beautiful display and is really fast and lighter than my laptop. I think people exaggerate on how "heavy" the full size iPad is compared to the mini. Sure there is a difference but it is only noticeable in comparison.

If you can't carry a full size iPad around without complaining about its weight then you should highly consider some weight lifting.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Since you've heard, read, and watched about all the iPad choices, have you taken the time to go to a local store and check them out? There's gotta be a retailer that sells them where you live.

I feel really fortunate to live 5 mins from a Apple Store

iPad Mini is not slow, or lags, or has a bad screen. Simple is that.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
No one really "need" an ipad anyway. You could want one! Imo, its still can't replace laptop is many ways so it is subject of your own appreciation for the device.

I use Ipad 2 so im like in between retina ipad and ipad mini. Its not hard to move around with if you have on a good protective case. The weight? Only girls with tiny hands will have much problem with it, im sure if you want to carry it around, it is not as hard as u think.

ManUMark

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
The mini is crap, its underspecked as to not eclipse the iPhone and loose sales there. Apple realy need to be treated with the comptempt they treat thier customers. If you want a mini then wait for a decent screen, for me its too small for my needs. My iPad3 is brilliant and a little heavey to carry all day but for browsing, gaming and video editing the size is perfect.

----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4UEX-NX1-A

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Only problem with the mini is the size.

It's too wide to hold one handed comfortably unless you have large hands.

The nexus 7 is way more comfortable.

The nexus 10 is even better than both as a10" tablet but only reason I wouldn't buy it is because android doesn't make enough tablet apps, so I'm Apple all day

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
My iPad 4 has a beautiful display and is really fast and lighter than my laptop. I think people exaggerate on how "heavy" the full size iPad is compared to the mini. Sure there is a difference but it is only noticeable in comparison.

If you can't carry a full size iPad around without complaining about its weight then you should highly consider some weight lifting.

Couldn't agree more! I use my iPad more than my iMac daily. Ive played games like Modern Combat 3/4 on it for at least an hour at a time and its not "too heavy" and thats an intense game. Its half the weight of a laptop. In comparison to a mini yes its heavy, but its not bulky. Its also good to remember the iPad 4 has an amazing display, super fast chip, AND still gets 10+ hours battery life in a 1.4 pound device.

On that note....I can't type anymore....my arms hurt.:cool:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post after post and videos after videos, I've seen people say the ipad mini has a poor screen and that its slow. I'd like to get an ipad but people say the full ipad is too heavy if its not going to be used as a home device but for carrying around which is what I want it for. I've heard people say a better ipad mini might be out by March or something. I don't need one right now but I don't know what I should do. Get an ipad, a mini or wait for this better one.

Go to a store that has them on display, and judge for yourself.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd want to use it for carrying around. I was going to buy the ipad mini but people keep talking about its poor screen quality
My advice is to go and check it out yourself. Because there are people are dissatisfied with the screen and many others who are not.

In fact there are reports and threads here stating that the iPad mini is Apple's best selling iPad so clearly there is quite a demand for them.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
So the complaint that the iPad is too heavy is really starting to get out of hand. How could you say is is too heavy to carry around? It is just crazy. What about 5 years ago everyone had a laptop they carried around with them in their bags, and someone said hey would it not be nice to have some thing a little lighter to carry around. Then apple decides to make the iPad which is way lighter than a laptop. People fall in love with the iPad and start taking it every were they go. I mean I have seen the iPad at sporting events, church, school, and were ever else you can think of. Was the problem solved with the iPad? Well for about 3 years until the iPad mini came along.

So now people are saying that the iPad should stay at home and be used there to watch movies, but if you need something to take out with you it is a must have to get the iPad mini. Is this really a valid thought process? I mean how heavy is too heavy to take on the go with you? Most of the people with iPads have iPhones why do you need all three? I know this is going to make some people mad, but I could care less. I really do believe the reason this is coming up is because apple fanboys have to justify buying the mini. Why else would you start to say the iPad is too heavy. The thing you ask apple to make to use on the go, and now it is too heavy. You can try and justify having both or saying the iPad is too heavy, but it really kind of sounds stupid.

So to you OP it really depends on what you want to use the iPad for. I had an Samsung 7 tab before I got my iPad, and really the only reason that I had it was because it was much cheaper than the iPad. After I saved some money I got the iPad 2 and never have looked back. If you want to save some money go with the mini, or you really only need to have something to stuff in your bag and read books and surf the net then by all means get the mini. But if you want something to watch movies, and do some more taxing stuff than the iPad is the choice. I love mine and take it everywhere. I have never once said man this thing is just too heavy.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Actually 600 grams does seem quite heavy for carrying around, especially when travelling abroad. Plus 9.7 inches is quite a big screen for this purpose too.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
It's not carrying the full size ipad that's too much, it's holding it for use. If you're on a table, it's no problem. It's when you're using it to read and you want to hold it...after an hour with the ipad cantilevered out, yeah, it can be heavy...so you have to find a comfortable place to put it.

For me, reading in bed on a 10" tablet is awkward...it's too big, and I much prefer the smaller size of the mini. Plus, my mini can fit in my inside coat pocket or my camera bag, while a 10" tablet can't.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
So which is recommended for using outside the home mainly?

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
What are you going to be using it for? I mean like I said before just carry it around in your hands the ipad is just fine. If you would like something that goes into your pants pocket then mini would do the trick. If the only thing you are going to be using it for is reading and surfing you will love the mini. I for one do more with my ipad so it works great for me.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
It's not carrying the full size ipad that's too much, it's holding it for use. If you're on a table, it's no problem. It's when you're using it to read and you want to hold it...after an hour with the ipad cantilevered out, yeah, it can be heavy...so you have to find a comfortable place to put it.

For me, reading in bed on a 10" tablet is awkward...it's too big, and I much prefer the smaller size of the mini. Plus, my mini can fit in my inside coat pocket or my camera bag, while a 10" tablet can't.

I have no issue using my ipad 2 in bed to read. If you have an issue with it being to heavy then get a good case with a stand and you will be fine. I look at mine for 2 hours or more without any problem. I just don't understand why you need both ipad and mini.

Just look back when Steve jobs was still alive. He said apple would never make a smaller ipad. Everything changed when google and amazon were selling 7in tabs like crazy. So apple had to do something. The mini was introduced, and now some how the ipad is too heavy. The reason google and amazon are selling so well is not because of the weight if the devices it is the price. The mini is almost a hundred dollars more. The people that bought them were the apple faithful that found out all of a sudden man this ipad is just too big and heavy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.