Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nosnhojm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
If I call Apple to update an existing iMac order, will it reset me to the back of the queue?

I'm still debating the 680mx (right now I have the 675mx on order). Is there really that much performance gain? What is the frame rate difference (e.g., when playing WoW, CS, or something else)?

lilface

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm having the same dilemma about calling to change something on my order, I think I'd rather just be happy with what I've already ordered than to be pushed all the way back in the queue lol

laryenhilllvr

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2012
NYC
If I call Apple to update an existing iMac order, will it reset me to the back of the queue?

I'm still debating the 680mx (right now I have the 675mx on order). Is there really that much performance gain? What is the frame rate difference (e.g., when playing WoW, CS, or something else)?

i think that may be a yes to both. everyone says the 680mx is definitely better than the 675, but unless you are a gamer or do 3d rendering it may not be that noticeable (if i remember correctly).

regarding the reque part...umm i can't say. i've read some that have called and been assured their order would not reque while others swear theirs did because orders that were placed after them have shipped off before them. idk...but depending on when you placed your order it is a risk i would take.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
If you want to play modern, demanding games, then definately go for the 680MX. There is a big difference in FPS, check out the 680MX benchmarks thread for more specific examples. However, you can't simply "change" your order. You will in reality make a new order, so you are going to wait a bit longer before receiving your iMac

Towelie1288

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2012
Texas
yes and yes

there is a big difference but only if u are a gamer or video rendering
680mx all the way for me its a deal

nosnhojm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
I didn't plan to use it for gaming (mainly for Lightroom), so I ordered the 675mx; however, I may want to play a casual game once in a while (like Guild Wars 2). I don't expect to be able to play a modern FPS at 60+ fps.

My hope is to buy a steambox for "big picture" gaming, whenever those come out.

messiry

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
I didn't plan to use it for gaming (mainly for Lightroom), so I ordered the 675mx; however, I may want to play a casual game once in a while (like Guild Wars 2). I don't expect to be able to play a modern FPS at 60+ fps.

I initially ordered i7 and 675MX on 31st Dec and then i changed my order to i5 + 680MX.. here what apple told me
1- if i needed to upgrade only the GPU form 675 to 680 then there is price increase, means they need to cancel the order and make new order, since this is violating their contract with you once you placed the order.
2- when i changed to i5 and 680MX however the price went down, then they only changed the order and i didn't lose my queue position (on the order page still showing 31st Dec), since my iMac is not yet in production and still on waiting list, i can change the specs as long as the price is not going above the initial amount.. seems fair to me

HTH

Beardy

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
I initially ordered i7 and 675MX on 31st Dec and then i changed my order to i5 + 680MX.. here what apple told me
1- if i needed to upgrade only the GPU form 675 to 680 then there is price increase, means they need to cancel the order and make new order, since this is violating their contract with you once you placed the order.
2- when i changed to i5 and 680MX however the price went down, then they only changed the order and i didn't lose my queue position (on the order page still showing 31st Dec), since my iMac is not yet in production and still on waiting list, i can change the specs as long as the price is not going above the initial amount.. seems fair to me

HTH

That is what I was told to. If the change in spec involves an increase in cost they have to cancel the order.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

When in doubt always max out your order for future use. If you're more worried about your order being pushed back vs. getting something better than the upgrade isn't worth it to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.